Sign in to follow this  
CathyJ

Noisy Flex Tree Saddle

I have a Circle Y Flex Tree II Park and Trail saddle. The tree is making a creaking sound that is driving me crazy. It creaks with every step my horse takes. My trail riding friends can hear it too. I'm not talking about a leather-on-leather squeak, it is a creaking sound from the tree, way up where I can't get to it. The store where I bought it says creaking noise is typical of flex trees because of the material from which they are constructed. Any suggestions? I'm ready to trade it off, but really like the saddle except for this one problem.

My Tucker is the same way, and I have just had to live with it. I have tried putting neats foot oil on the fenders way up inside as I thought that was whwere it was coming from, but it is still there. I just live it, as this saddle fits my horse so well.

I don't think I can live with this. I can't hear what people are saying on the trailride. There are too many other good saddles out there...I just didn't want to spend the money for another one if there's a solution to this problem.

i replied to this someplace you posted this topic. i used to be in the custom saddle order business, and from what you say your tree is probably cracked. check your manufacturer's guarantee policy to see if they'll fix it gratis. we had a lifetime guarantee but not everyone has really good quality trees where they can take the risk.

if you decide to fix it you'll need to send it in. inquire regarding repair time, but if it's a cracked tree this is NOT good for your horse's back.

Well it's just a matter of talking to the right person. Earlier I had contacted the store by email and was told they couldn't help me. I took the saddle to the store today and the store owner was the first person I saw. He examined the saddle, said the tree wasn't broke, but it wasn't right for it to make that noise. So he is sending it in to Circle Y for repair, AND he gave me a used Circle Y saddle of the same style (but no creaking noise) as a loaner to use until my saddle comes back.

I am going to follow this topic with interest. My tre does not appear to be cracked, but....

So, I will take it to the place in Baldwin Park, that is probably the largest dealer,

and see if they can shed any light on it. I would hate to have to sens to the factory.

Edited by siseley

you can't know for sure if the tree is cracked or not until you strip it. that means for endurance or english saddles the leather and flocking have to come OFF. for western saddles it's just the leather but still needs to be sent to the factory if you want to know for sure.

sisely from what you write you guys ride A LOT. if you have any doubts i'd have it checked out.

The loaner saddle given to me is the same as my other saddle except a different color. The loaner has it's usual leather-on-leather squeaks, but there was no creaking noise coming from the tree. That alone tells me the tree had an issue in the saddle I sent in. Whether it was cracked, remains to be seen. I'll let you know how it gets resolved.

thank you. color has nothing to do with saddle functioning!! or the tree!!! if you have metal safety stirrups on english saddles or endurance the hinge can squeak. if you have rubber like mine, they don't. i'm glad you're having the tree checked out--very important.

I wasn't saying color makes a difference. I was stating that the loaner saddle is the same make and style and is not making a creaking noise from the tree which leads me to believe there is something wrong with the tree in my own saddle.

Yes guys;,

my saddle is a hornless endurance type saddle, has large endurance type stirrups with big rubber pads, and I am taking it to "Broken Horn" the largest dealer around here. Then I can find out if it is a bad tree, or a loose spot that is just rubbing, or ????! :confused0024:

I do have another saddle for her, but it is the one i used when she was young, and she has a lot more muscle and weight than then.

Soooo.... it looks like I make have to try my Wife's english saddle, if i can just get used to the english type irons! :winking:

sisely, saddle noises typically have only 3 causes: a hinge somewhere needs oiling, leather rubbing leather, or cracked tree. i don't know what your tree is made of, but ours were fiberblass enforced oak. you could have driven over them (we did) with an SUV and nothing would happen, but if the saddle got dropped or fell at a wierd angle you *might* see a hairline fracture as a result. (in the 10 years of being in the business we had 2 out of something like 200,000 that came back to the shop for inspection/repair.)

the boss could tell without stripping it, but most of us mere mortals need to be able to see the *bare bones* to know for sure. make sure Broken Horn isn't just telling you what they think you want to hear.

Well....update on the saddle inspection....

No, the tree is not broken. We got the saddle back from the saddle smith, and he said we had a bit of extra rawhide that was scratching on the fender where it attaches to the tree. All is good now. I took the saddle and put it on Lancer as well, and the ole boy has put on a few pounds over the winter!!! ( He's 32 yrs young, and some times i wonder if he gets enough excersize with the little bit Linda has been riding.)

When they put the saddle back together, they also did a nice buffing job on my blemishes I got in the trail ride to **** about a year ago. We had gone down a narrow slick rock trail to a creek bottom, and when we started back up, the steel shoes the horses were wearing, could not get enough traction, so had to ride the several miles around and out. That meant a lot of creosote bushes, and old tangled branches...yep both the saddle and I got pretty scratched.

Edited by siseley

No, the tree is not broken. We got the saddle back from the saddle smith, and he said we had a bit of extra rawhide that was scratching on the fender where it attaches to the tree. All is good now.

So, it is quiet now? I don't have my Circle Y saddle back yet.

I got my saddle back from Circle Y. I don't know for sure what they did, but I assume they took it apart. I went for a ride on Saturday. The creaking noise is still present, not as loud, but still there. So I think I'll take it back to the dealer and try to trade it for the loaner he gave me while my saddle was being worked on. The loaner was the same style saddle, but didn't have the noise coming from the tree area. IF the dealer still has the loaner....

Yikes!

Sorry yours could not be fixed easily like mine was. No more squeeks now, and is still slick where they buffed the leather.