Sign in to follow this  
RSRInstructor

Happy Donkeys?

Hi All,

My pony shares a pastures with 2 mini donkeys. These 2 love attention and will make a deep, loud, "breathy" noise when they inhale. Is this because they are happy, similar to purring for cats? It's very noticeable when they're being groomed. I've always wondered and was never able to find any information about it on the web.

Thanks,

RSR

How funny. This is Eeyore. What other name is there for a Donkey with a broken ear? We found him just wondering around with a rope around his neck, no food, no water. He had been used for 27 years as a work animal here in the Dominican Republic. Broken hip, dislocated shoulder and broken ear from the years of service for his then not caring owner.

WE "DONKEY NAPPED" him. Several friends LIFTED him into the back of a pick-up and 4 in the back keeping him steady since he would not lay down. We took off and a neck breaking speed of........ 5 mph. Had vet and farrier tend to him in his own new pasture. I was late with his morning grain since I passed him to check something in a far pasture. He makes NO noise at all.... but then again... he let me know that he was not happy.

still working on posting photos. Click below for our .... old retired and upset guy.

Edited by Sereno

Just checking in to see if anyone else had an answer for me? The donkeys went on vacation for two weeks with their owner and just got back. I was greeted with donkeys running to the gate as I approached. The more shy one put her head on my shoulder and made that breathy sound I was asking about for about 10 minutes. Guess it IS a happy sound, but wanted to see if anyone else has encountered this sound?

Mine make that sound. Usually right before feeding when they are happy about getting dinner. They will also do it when my truck drives up and they want to be petted.

Yes, that is a happy sound.  Not all do it.  Some make that sound when you groom and give them attention and others you can hear during feeding time, like a warm up to braying, lol!

Donkeys are very social creatures.  If they like you, they want to be with you.