HorsePoornBigSky

Sage Is Six Today (* Picture Heavy *)

Hello all, well today is Sage’s birthday. It’s hard to believe that she’s six years old now. It doesn’t seem that long ago that she was just a few months old. It’s amazing how fast time goes by now that I’m older. Yesterday was an ok day. The sun was out briefly so I took some pictures of her messing around out in the pasture. Then later in the afternoon I went back outside and took a few more pictures of her. I wanted to get some halter pictures of her but doesn’t seem like there is anywhere flat out there to take pictures.

She was ok with it at first and then she got bored. lol I’ve been riding her which is nice. The other day she was feeling a little froggy. She just wanted to go go go. I’ve registered both of us for a reining clinic in a couple weeks. I’m excited about that. It’ll be our second clinic and my second clinic altogether. I’m looking forward to it. Possible take some lessons from the trainer too. We’ll see how it goes.

Anyone have a formula for fly spray that works? Or use a fly spray that works? I’ve been using Endure and another kind, it’s an orange bottle I can’t think of the name of it but it’s not really working. I’m going to bathe Sage in dawn because it is suppose to help repel ticks. Poor thing has reactions to where she’s getting bit. You’ll see some of the marks in the pictures.

Here are some pictures of her.

Running Through The Pasture.
05-23-2013224_zpsa24b8dc6.jpg

05-23-2013084_zpseb2e4123.jpg

05-23-2013085_zps0524a5d3.jpg

Drive By As The Sun Faded Away.
05-23-2013118_zps83995a7c.jpg

Well Okay If I Must.
05-23-2013-2199_zpsd2938ddc.jpg

Not Really Paying Attention.
05-23-2013-2202_zps1f8fbb46.jpg

Seriously?
05-23-2013-2218_zpsa5ad9a56.jpg

Okay, I’ll Put My Ears Half Way Up.
05-23-2013-2231_zpsb7c94c6c.jpg

Looking Down At Sage In A Hole. (She’s Listening To The Mules)
05-23-2013-2252_zpsba2106ed.jpg

Not Impressed. lol
05-23-2013-2268_zps3fd819ba.jpg

One Of My Favorites.
05-23-2013-2332_zps597dbafb.jpg

You’re Killing Me Smalls.
05-23-2013-2388_zps007257cc.jpg

Okay This Is More Like It!
05-23-2013-2004_zpsc9da62a5.jpg

Sage is very easy on the eyes. Very nice looking mare, I hope you have many good years with her, Thankyou for sharing these pictures. Best Wishes. PD

Beautiful! Happy Birthday Sage!

Fly spray- The only thing that I have found that works is Pyrannah. I don't think I spelled that correctly!!?? It is stinky, but it works!

Thank you everyone. I'm bias of her. She's a good girl lol

I don't mind stinky as long as it works. A neighbor bathes her horses in dawn dish soap every once in awhile because it helps repel ticks. I'm going to try it and see how it works. I feel bad for her having all these reactions to the bites.

This is the fly spray formula my friend in Montana uses. The forest service uses it on their dogs, horses and their selves.

1 cup water
1 cup Avon skin so soft bath oil
2 cups vinegar
1 tbs eucalyptus oil

I love Sage. Hard to believe she is 6!

As for fly sprays, three are working for me this year:

Pyrhana,

http://www.pyranhainc.com/

Wipe

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16048

and Gordon's Horse and Pony from TSC (cheapest and my fav. Smells good to me)

http://reviews.tractorsupply.com/0519/500359099/gordons-horse-pony-spray-insect-repellant-1-gal-reviews/reviews.htm

I use Avons skin so soft and it seems to work well I just dilute it a little with water, I also use it on the dogs for fleas they hate it but it works.

Happy Birthday, Sage!!! What a gorgeous girl!! One of my faves on here, too. My cat Mysti will be 6 on the 28th, so they're very close in age.

Beautiful as always!

I'm having an awful time with ticks this year. Both Fonn and Mariah have had some massive reactions and an abcess or two from rubbing the darned things off themselves which of course leaves parts imbedded. I asked my vet if she had any sure-fire tick repellents alas she said no though one of her clients swears by original gold Listerine. Sooooooooooooo we bought 6 gallons of Listerine and having been spraying all three mares with straight gold Listerine twice a day. So far I have found way less ticks. In fact none the last three or four days but oh my, all three have marks on their faces and armpits. I hate ticks with a passion.

Sage is such a good looking horse! We use the fly spray recipe mentioned above and it works ok, sometimes we use citronella instead of eucalyptus. We found that the blue bottle of ultra shield fly spray worked really well last year, can't remember what it's called specifically, but easy to recognize by the color of the bottle.

Thank you. I'll be trying the Skin so soft formula to see if it works. If not I will continue down the line of suggestions. I hate that she's having reactions to the nasty little suckers.

She's dry lotted now and when I went to let her out for the night her poor eyes were gooey I'm assuming from all the dust in the barn. There is no water supply to spray it down. We haul water in for the tank. I've got a fly mask that I'm going to put on her to see if that helps. Otherwise I'll just lock her out of the barn and she can stand under the other part of the barn.