Sign in to follow this  
mandataylor84

What Color Is This Colt?

My sorrel Pintaloosa mare delivered this little guy at 5 am today. I am tickled that he looks like his mama :) The sire is a sorrel also without any Appy characteristics. The dam's sire was a black blanket Appy and I know she has several duns and red duns in her pedigree.

Is he simply a light sorrel? Why are his eyelids pink? Is that just an Appy thing? Is it possible he is something else? His yearling brother, full brother, is a sorrel and he does not have pink eyelids so I was just curious.

Pardon me if this doesn't belong here, I'm new. :winking:

post-64105-0-76454200-1370465278_thumb.jpg

post-64105-0-28262600-1370465312_thumb.jpg

post-64105-0-09958600-1370465351_thumb.jpg

He appears to be sorrel. Sorrel (chestnut) is one of the two equine base colors (the other is black). Sorrel to sorrel matings will get a sorrel baby, regardless of Appy or Paint markings. His pink skin will likely darken with time. He sure is a cutie, and congrats!!!! Welcome to HC.

Chestnut. Chestnut to chestnut breedings (whether you call it sorrel or whatever) can only result in chestnut offspring. One of the few absolutes when it comes to equine color genetics. He'll get the pigment in around his eyes in a couple days.