gallop_girl04

What Brand Of Feed Does Everyone Use?

Hello!!

Haven't been on this site in a long time, and am recently in a new chapter in my life. I am about to finish my bachelor's degree and currently work full time at a feed store.

I am struck with curiosity to which brands of feed are the most popular. I sell a brand that I feel should be doing a lot better than it does. Maybe it's just my area though!

So my question is: What brand of feed do you use?

Thanks!

Poulin, the FibreMax for the hardkeeper. E-Tec for the air ferns.

I will second the ADM...

Have also used Strategy Healthy Edge with good luck but decided to switch to a more forage based program.

Nutrena, hay, & pasture

The old guy is on Life Design Senior. The other two are on very small amounts of SafeChoice Special Care. I've been thinking about switching the two to Empower Balance (Nutrena's RB) but they are looking good on the Special Care and it just doesn't seem to compute to a lower cost.

Wow, thanks to everyone who has replied! I figured Purina (or Nutrena) would be a front-runner in the answers. haha!

I haven't heard of ADM or Poulin.. how do you guys like it?

We sell the Tribute feed line, which comes from Kalmbach (manufactured in Upper Sandusky, OH). Has anyone ever heard of this feed?

I have heard of Tribute, on other forums. Folks seem to like it.

I feed my 27 yr old Arab Triple Crown Sr. and rice bran.

Two of my TWH's have metabolic issues, a third one is oat/corn/soy intolerant. These three eat McCauley's M-10 Balancer which is oat/corn/soy free and specifically designed for horses with metabolic issues.

As an FYI, since you're asking about feeds, EquiPride is a vit/min supplement that is also oat/corn/soy-free but is very pricey.

If your Bachelor's is in anyway related to equine nutrition :smileywavey:

Where metabolic AND food allergy horses are concerned, there needs to be a lot more feed companies getting on the oat/corn/soy free bandwagon. Adding iron into a feed designed for metabolic horses is a huge no-no yet, the last time I looked, Purina does that with their WellSolve line.

Even Triple Crown, whom I somewhat have on a pedestal, doesn't want to hear anything about developing an oat/corn/soy free product.

If EquiPride and McCauley's can do it, so can the rest of them :confused0024:

If your degree is not geared toward equine nutrition, then forget everything I just said - lol :surrender:

Haha I am about to graduate with my bachelor's in Agri-business, with my associates in Equine Business Management. I understood the lingo! :)

I love that people that are writing that their main source of feed is forage-based (hay/grass). I'm so happy to see that people understand the fact that FORAGE is the thing to focus on when feeding, not so much feed! (Although quality feed does go a long way!!)

I almost feel sometimes like I'm selling an unknown product.. not many people know about it!

I feed zero prepackaged feeds, but instead feed horses as individuals , based on their individual needs

I also strongly believe forage should be the main part of any horse's diet, either in the form of hay, pasture or a combo

Once you know what that forage contains, and take into consideration individual needs, based on age, work load, any metabolic condition, etc, you then know what you need to add, be it calories or protein

Type of calories again is decided by work load and metabolism, plus whether the horse gets sugar highs Grains supply hot calories, fats supply cool calories

Basic balanced free choice minerals and salt complete the requirements

I think every horse owner should learn to read and interpret ate feed labels, know the requirements for their horses, and then make the right additions, instead of blindly feeding a bag of so and so, because someone else across the country, with a horse that has completely different needs and basic diet, uses it

Sometimes, pre packaged feeds might be the easiest solution, but don;t automatically reach for that processed food, without either knowing what you are trying to add to the horse's diet, and what that bag really contains, by knowing what is a fiber feed, an energy feed or a protein feed

I do like the Poulin brand quite a bit. The horses need less of it and look better on it. The E-Tec is alfalfa and beet pulp based, no molasses. FibreMax is also beet pulp based and very high in fat, which the hard keeping TB needs.

All my guys start with free choice hay and I go from there. I don't get too obsessed with grain too much—I figure that’s the feed manufacturer’s job. Go with a good company, go with an appropriate/recommended grain. I don’t buy feed that lists “by-products” or “grain products”--I want to know what’s in the bag. I avoid high NSC feeds in general. I don't grain unless a horse needs it. That pretty much sums up my feeding thoughts LOL

I've heard of Tribute, but haven't fed it, and I don't know anyone who has. I know it's sold at a co-op somewhat close to me (but not close enough for me to give it a try, especially with gas at $3.50/gallon!)

I feed mine Tribute Calm & EZ. I have also fed Tribute Essential K. I love their feeds. My second favorite is the Seminole Wellness line. When I had an older horse I fed him Seminole Wellness Senior. They are also on pasture 24/7 and have hay provided twice a day.

Unfortunately most people in my area feed cheap sweet feeds. I do try to feed a quality feed because it is true you feed less of it and then end result is you really don't spend more.

I used to feed Triple Crown and loved it until it was ungodly expensive to get in my area ($26+ a bag!). I now feed Strategy Healthy Edge to the gelding and Omelene and a supplement called Master Mare and Foal (ADM) to the pregnant mare. I use it in small amounts. I'm a big hay and grass pusher. :happy0203:

Triple crown. 30% balancer to balance out grass and the senior for harder keepers. I dont feed cereal grains and this feed is very complimentory to our local grasses without testing and custon mixing. Its my favorite brand i have ever tried with the very best results. So far, everything else available to me pales in comparison.

Nutrena Safe Choice, only enough, though to mix in the supplement, I don't like giving a lot of packaged feed.

Normally, just a good quality Bermuda, but, due to outrageous prices and availability, I have alfalfa and wheat , now.

Orchard grass mix hay with no molasses Integrity senior feed (by Star Milling) and a no iron salt lick since we have too much iron in the local soils and hay. Only one feed store in my county sells it.

My Foxtrotter is mostly Morgan & old time Saddlebred so she is an easy keeper and has the potential to develop IR. I switched from Strategy senior when she started gaining too much weight and her coat/hoovers weren't healthy enough.

I may have to switch as well Burgie, ADM is getting increasingly hard to find and those few that do sell it have been unreliable in getting it in consistently. I don't deal with my local feed store as they only sell Purina products and refuse to get anything different. Their loss. I am still using the feed store I have always used near my parents, it's just kinda inconvenient because it's 2 hours away. Triple Crown is 26 a bag plus tax at the price gouging feed monopoly Dan's Feed Bin in Superior, but at least they carry it consistently and I don't need to drive cross country to get it.

The joys of living in the boonies.

Bingo smokum! Those are the reasons I switched. Its also 25$ through my feed source so maybe they arent so price gouging?

I Love they way my ponies look on it too...slightly better than they did on ADM. ;)

Maybe not so much on their feed then, but I went to get some thrush buster and a few other things, who would pay $24 for TB when I can get it for 10 or less at every other place that sells horse stuff. Or 8-9 for a bag of shavings when i can get it for 4.48 inbthe cities... Dont want to go back unless I absolutely need to after that :/

Totally diff then most people on here. Timothy/grass hay and my gelding gets blue seal trotter while my mare get sentinel performance ls which is also blue seal.

I feed pasture, grass hay (in winter) and Triple Crown 30% in the summer to my gelding. I'm looking for something more to feed him this winter.

But as far a feed brands, Triple Crown. Higher quality than Purina or Nutrena, plus tons of great reviews.

Zero pre packaged feeds

You owe it to your horse to try and understand equine nutrition, versus just looking for some magic pre packaged feed

All those feed labels mean diddly squat, without first knowing what the basic nutritional needs are being met by forage (either hay f pasture, or a combo-something that not only needs, but must be the basic of any horse's diet )

You can feed a pre packaged food with 30 % protein or calories, but if the basic forage is only around 4 % of ether, still be short of daily requirements, based on TOTAL AMOUNT OF EACH FED

The best thing you can do, is actually learn some equine nutrition, so you can read those feed bag labels, in conjunction of what forage you are feeding, instead of buying brand x "rocket fuel', because it works for a friend's horse

Horse feeds are divided into three main categories, based on what they most contain

-energy feed ( calories )either hot or cool\

protein feed, such as calf mana

fiber feed, forage.

Only if you know what your horse is missing, not provided by the forage, do you then know what to add

I buy zero pre packaged feeds.

Do you just rely on some pre packaged foods to feed your children, or do you actually try to meet daily requirements through a balanced diet?