LoneHorseRanch

Tail Rubbing. What Am I Missing?

Gelding is rubbing his tail incessantly and his hair is breaking off, I cannot figure out why. All horses have been dewormed, he has had his sheath cleaned earlier in the year and I did check it again last week when he started doing the rubbing but it is still fairly clean. Am I missing something?

There are disgusting amounts of gnats this year and he has welts from them on his chest and little granules of dried blood on his sheath and naval area, he is in heaven when I scratch him down there and that is the only thing I can think of that is causing him to rub his tail like this. I mean, we've dealt with gnats before, but I've never seen him become so itchy he rubs his tail off, ever. I make sure to spray the area well, and I just bought some swat to try out. Anyone have any other ideas?

I have MTG I could try using, looking in his hair I don't see anything out of the ordinary, some dirt and dandruff, which is expected I suppose, I just hate the smell of the MTG, it's so vile. I am going to wash his tail thoroughly tomorrow and see how that goes.

My horse does that, too. If I don't put Swat on it thick, she rubs all the hair off. I'm thinking it's no see ums with Rosie. They don't seem to bother Jedi much, though. Might be an allergy.

When you put the Swat on, work it down to the skin with your fingers.

I have a horse who has an allergy to flies. He gets itchy itchy itchy EVERYWHERE and will rub his hair off particularly on his chest/neck/butt. You could try adding some garlic to his feed, or buying a product like "Bug Check" which is a feed supplement. Fly spray might be your best friend! Ultrashield has products that advertise the fact that they can last more than one day.. or so many hours (or particularly discourage gnats!). I'd definitely try and purchase a fly spray that packs a punch! Or maybe consider trying a fly blanket?

Last year I wasn't sure what was wrong with my guy when he got itchy through the fly season. We had just purchased him a month before and we just didn't know what to pin-point his symptoms to.. other than an allergy. We ended up bathing him in kalm coat a couple times a week, mtg'in him every day or every other day, and fly spraying the crap out of him. He made it through last year with no open sores! But as soon as the fly season ended, he stopped being itchy and I knew he was allergic then. This year I bought a more potent fly spray and Bug check and the difference is like day and night!

Good luck!!

Frequent spraying with the original gold Listerine mouthwash believe it or not, has kept the gnats under control until this past week. It's still an inexpensive and non-harmful way to ward them off, but oh my but the gnats were bad last week.

Shoot, RA "stole" my Listerine comment :-)

You can also spray the top of his tail with Listerine, scrunge it in with your fingers and let it dry (no rinsing) to help control the itch.

My mare did that too... One summer I just clipped her tail hair down where she rubbed it and sprayed Listerine obsessively. She looked really funny cause it was bald then tail.. lol but it worked and the hair grew back in fine

Well, I recleaned his sheath and have been religously putting swat on the private parts, I have not done the listerine yet, every time I go to the store I forget to buy it :duh: but he hasn't been itching much anymore so I think it was probably the gnats down there. I am making another trip to the store so I will try to remember to get it, I wish I could text myself when I get there so I don't forget anything.

There could be a number of reasons for tail rubbing. You addressed the 2 issues I was thinking....the worming (pinworms) and sheath cleaning. So, I would say if what you are trying now is working, continue doing it.... However, my horse does the opposite - rubs his tail hair out at the base of tail - in the winter, only. I've been rubbing baby oil into the base of the tailbone and that seems to work because he gets very dry skin/dandruff and he will also let me know when his sheath needs cleaning by rubbing his tail.

Not rinsing all the soap out after washing the tail can dry and irritate the skin.

My MFT has a thick, wavy tail & mane so I do a second rinse with three cups of vinegar in a gallon of water. Let it set for a few minutes then hose it all out.

If you live in a dry climate the skin can be dry and itchy too. Olive oil massaged deep onto the skin of the tail will take care of that.