Sign in to follow this  
luvallbreeds

Big Day For Super

I dropped Super off at the trainers yesterday, So now he is living on the same ranch as his daddy Boomer, where there is lots of braying of donkeys and other mules there for training. Several of his brothers and sisters too. I really look forward to riding Super soon. While I could have tackled the training myself over time at my confidence level it would have taken' lots of time. This trainer has trained and shown successfully lots of Super siblings and made them grand Champion mules. I have great confidence Super is in good hands and I can stop by and visit and watch his progress anytime they are only 4 miles down the road from my home.

Super got a new haircut the first day, like a boy at boot camp he is ready for business.

1016825_413156015465602_1809454430_n.jpg

OMG its hard to believe he is old enough for training. I've watched him since he came into this world and I think he is just beautiful.

I know it is REALLY hard for me I still see him as my baby boy and he is so sad away from home. Being put to work and watching him buck under saddle shows me that I made the right choice sending him to someone experienced in mule training. I still get to go see him weekly and watch him ridden and once he settles down he does real well and looks good.

here is a link to his first ride minus the rodeo at the start after he settled down.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201501055313157

Edited by luvallbreeds

Nice. Looks like he does fine once he gets the rodeo out of the way! I love how he mostly keeps one ear back toward the rider.

I so remember seeing the pics of this little long ears and thinking how darling he was and now to see him all grown up and starting under saddle. I still see Demon as my baby and its hard to imagine that he is already 9!

My husband and I have been Super fans since the very beginning! There is just "something" about this guy, he is so giving in his own way. I am sure he will be a wonderful mount for you, my husband definitely covets that mule!!! We wish you and Super nothing but the best.

Wow he looks great. Looks like he is going to be an amazing ride. I get such mule envy when I see posts on him. I'd love to breed my Tilly Monster to a jack, but just never do it.

Demon's Mom---((((hugs)))) Long time no speak. How are you?

Ah been off doing other things. Mainly trying to get all the horses back to 100%. Vets, farriers, vets again. Never ending cycle sometimes lol. Now that Tilly has the ok to ride I am trying to get her in shape so I can finally hit some trails.

thanks everyone we really appreciate your support :happy0203: I went to visit Super again and this time I worked with him on ground work skills he knows and just loved and hugged on him, to let him know I did not abandon him, It was a great visit and his old confident personality shined thru.

1000417_10200261787488369_525559975_n.jp

Super is home now, he has bucked every ride with the trainer and he thinks it is a saddle fit issue and the fact that Super is just to thin on the top line. So I brought him home to put on more weight and work with him on some ground driving and stopping his bolting behavior. I will do some work on desensitizing and playing in my obstacle course I am building, Super loves that. Super will go back in the Fall to continue his under saddle training. Meanwhile I am very happy to have him home and so is his mom Fantasy she was very excited to see her son come back.

69222_422480871199783_1630446825_n.jpg

I was going to comment on spending time at the trainers with him. That was my favorite part of visiting Demon when he was at the trainers.

I have no doubt you will have him in tip top shape this fall to go back to the trainers and in the mean time you get to have fun with your big, beautiful guy!

Yep Super is back home and training with him is a great joy :happy0203: for me. My friends are both sad and worried about Super and his bucking. I assure them that I won't be riding him if he is not safe to ride and I can be patient, these mule boys just take time and patience to figure them out. I have him in the surcingle now and getting him used to side reins, to work on strengthening that top line. He is doing wonderful. A chain under his chin on a web halter has stopped him from bolting, Now we have a new problem he knows the chain is on the halter and he does not want me to put it on and he pretends to be a giraffe or worse is running off to not be caught. I shall have to bring out the good treats to over power his unwillingness to put on that corrective halter. they are just so darn smart :winking:

935041_10200293540082164_1800970855_n.jp

Yep Super is back home and training with him is a great joy :happy0203: for me. My friends are both sad and worried about Super and his bucking. I assure them that I won't be riding him if he is not safe to ride and I can be patient, these mule boys just take time and patience to figure them out. I have him in the surcingle now and getting him used to side reins, to work on strengthening that top line. He is doing wonderful. A chain under his chin on a web halter has stopped him from bolting, Now we have a new problem he knows the chain is on the halter and he does not want me to put it on and he pretends to be a giraffe or worse is running off to not be caught. I shall have to bring out the good treats to over power his unwillingness to put on that corrective halter. they are just so darn smart :winking:

935041_10200293540082164_1800970855_n.jp

rope halter won't work on this guy?

those are some LONG legs :twitch: !! very handsome fella :smilie: .

He has always had a rope halter and they do not work when he decides to bolt from me, the chain barely works with my strength, always works with the trainer, he is a big strong guy. I on the other hand am not :blink: My feeling is I hate to go to the chain, what really needs to happen is he needs to be trained to stop and honestly I had considered an electric collar (some days he made me that angry). Then again I have used it to train my dog. Honestly he just needs the time it takes. I learned from working with his mom that could be a considerable amount, but the rewards are many.

Thank you I think he is handsome too and I wish he would stop growing up and fill out some.

972079_10200319927101823_1187321486_n.jp

The trainers help has arrived and Super is on his way back to the trainer today..I am nervous, it is still hard for me to let go of my little baby boy mule. The trade off of a nice grown up riding mule is going to be well worth it.

love that trainer's body language!! looks like your boy is responding--are you happy with how things are going?

he is really good looking (the mule--can't see the trainer that well LOL)!

Everyday there is improvement the first day he bucked the rider off 3 times but he rode him for 2hrs and pushed him to see what his triggers were. When he is not misbehaving he is really nice to ride the trainer says and one of his favorites to ride. Super is going thru' his bag of tricks to get out of work, he is bucking less with every ride and that is good news. I am still very hopeful.

Thanks he is handsome, Super has been back to the trainer and comes home to stay with me when they head off to shows. he has shown some improvement but it is very little and he is still very much reluctant to be ridden though he seems to tolerate it most of the time. there is less bucking under saddle but you can feel the hump in his back they say and he has tried other tactics to avoid being ridden or to at least make it unpleasant. Such as no longer being light in the bridle or bucking before they mount. Generally acting spooky at things that really should not bother him. They have gone back to just working him slowly and in the round pen. While he is home with me I work on his ground work and his respect of me, he seems to loose a bit of it every time he leaves home and has to be reminded when he returns of what I expect of him. I do hope this is just a difficult learning and growing stage he is going thru' because he is really being very difficult for all persons involved.

I am sorry that your beautiful boy is not cooperating with his training. They can be so wonderful but can also be very resistant. I hope that he is just not mature enough yet, mentally, to soak up the training being offered.

You are being very patient, it is good that you understand that it will pay off big in the long run. We have a molly that is a trial to my husband and my FIL. They have both ridden her, both been bucked off and both had excellent rides. We left her alone this year, she is 5, and will start her again in the spring. She was just too young in her mind to focus on any lesson. the days she was good, she was wonderful but those days were few and far between.

She is very affectionate and wants to please, she just doesn't know how to yet. I can't wait to get to ride her, but like you, I won't get on her unless I know that she is safe for me. that may be several years from now! She is out of a Foxtrotter mare and is a gaiting fool so I am excited to ride her!

Hang in there woman, he will come around!

yes, I am about to bring him home put him in a pack saddle haul him out on some trails and forget about riding for awhile.Then try riding again next Spring. I will continue the fun ground work and liberty training, he really seems to have fun with that, going over obstacles and such. Because you are right when he is good he is really good.

Ohhhh, some packing will be good for him I think.

Gosh, luvall, he is such a pretty boy!

We keep plugging along, I have paid ahead for a certain amount of training and Super is getting trained despite himself, he is learning things. Like how to stand tied for hours, he learned to except hobbles and is getting pretty good at trailering with the back and forth trips. You can saddle and bridle him easily and most rides are pretty uneventful. Super's bad reactions are fear based. He still needs work on his confidence when under saddle. I look forward to him having the winter off to absorb everything grow up in his head and see how he does next year.I do want get him packing and learning to pony better, so I can get him out on the trail.

I have faith! You will get a wonderful mule out of all of this. Some of them seem to mature soooooo slowly while some are born broke. We have had some of each and they have all ecome very nice family type animals in the end.

Super is home and very happy ..I love the smile in his eyes in this photo. I have been back to my usual ground work with him and he is doing well. The weather has gotten' cold and yucky already but I will keep working with him however I can and hauling him to the equestrian center down the road when I get the time. The more experiences he gets the better he will be.

1271932_10200702197098334_970924910_o.jp