Sign in to follow this  
Sereno

Scorching Heat In S.w.

Just reading that the South West U.S. states are getting record heat for a few days to come. 117F ?? in some areas.

Being in a tropical climate, we have a fan on medium blowing into the stalls when the horses are in them. But our temps seldom get above 95F with summer average highs around 90. My gray stallion seams to be more heat sensitive then our gray mare or brown gelding. Sereno loves to stand right in front of his fan. Most of our pastures have large shade trees and of course, we check the water buckets everyday and leave the faucet on just a little to keep them full of cooler and fresher water. We ride only in the early cooler mornings or very late evenings.

117F is a heck of a lot hotter then what we get. Please share some of what you do to keep your horses cool and safe.

Thanks.

100_1584_zpsf7b9e4db.jpg

Edited by Sereno

We hardly ever get temps over 90, but it does happen. My horses have shade in the barn as well as trees in the pasture, and I have two box fans blowing in the barn. They love it. Mostly, it's to escape the flies that they go in the dark barn, though, not because of the heat outside.

I worry about the poor Mustangs in holding pens in those states with the currently terrible heat. No shade. I think it's criminal. It could be life threatening to them, too.

Edited by Wild Rose

"(CNN) -- A record-setting heat wave will continue baking the Southwest on Sunday and into the work week.

Already, the hot spell has set records in cities such as Phoenix (119 degrees) and Lancaster, California (111 degrees). Las Vegas tied its record high of 115 degrees Saturday.

Civic and emergency officials throughout the Southwest say if there was ever a time to worry, this would be it. The reason isn't just the oppressive heat that is plaguing the region: It's the fact it is expected to hang around, and possibly even get worse, over the next few days."

It's a dire situation for man and beast. Shelter and protection from excessive heat is required for dogs, why not for captive native horses. I read where some holding pens have been fitted for shade, but not all.

We could use some of the heat in mtns. of SW Va. to help dry us up. It has been raining for almost a month with only a day or two when it didn't. Temps. are moderate in the upper 70's but the humidity is awful! Trees falling due to root systems being so wet the earth can't hold them in place & it's still coming down! When will it ever stop? Guess I'll have to build a Ark for the dogs, cats, & horses. LOL

We could use some of the heat in mtns. of SW Va. to help dry us up. It has been raining for almost a month with only a day or two when it didn't. Temps. are moderate in the upper 70's but the humidity is awful! Trees falling due to root systems being so wet the earth can't hold them in place & it's still coming down! When will it ever stop? Guess I'll have to build a Ark for the dogs, cats, & horses. LOL

Sorry that you all in the East are having your own problems. It's been crazy this year around the World!

Our rainy season is usually Nov. to mid March when it will rain just about everyday then we are dry all summer. This year very little rain until March and now into "dry" season, it has been raining every few days.

Finding hay has become a big problem but at least our pastures look nice and green.

Watching Tropical Storm Chantal that just formed to our W.S.W. and aimed at us in the Dominican Republic with 5 day forecast arriving Florida.