Sign in to follow this  
Horse-Compassion

? On How You Guys Breed Studs And Mares

New to breeding I've heard millions of different things I'm doing live cover I teased and waiting for this mare to be ready got them both clean and breed her once a day for three days and just had a lady at the barn yell at me because I was ruining the mare because I need to wait to breed them again for three days just wanted more opinions I know everyone has a different way of doing things I just didn't like how she approached me so rudely telling me I had ruined the mare and stallion and that the mare would never be able to breed again just want to know what you guys do every little detail is helpful had horses my whole life just new to breeding I've waited a long time before I got my first stud as I think everyone should do and now I feel like I'm being told I don't even deserve to have horses like I know nothing about them just really frustrated anyway anything helps thanks!

A lot of ranches pasture breed their mares, Im pretty sure they don't go out to the pasture to tell the stallion now now don't you breed those mares 3 days in a row.

Thank you! Not to mention mustangs in the wild seem to have no issue foaling and breeding every yr. I only breed her once for three days time and she was telling me I was ripping up her insides let him do that and I was thinking oh yes because the giant foal that comes out doesn't do any damage what so ever sense one of the foals legs will be that size alone lol thanks cowgirlup

New to breeding I've heard millions of different things I'm doing live cover I teased and waiting for this mare to be ready got them both clean and breed her once a day for three days and just had a lady at the barn yell at me because I was ruining the mare because I need to wait to breed them again for three days just wanted more opinions I know everyone has a different way of doing things I just didn't like how she approached me so rudely telling me I had ruined the mare and stallion and that the mare would never be able to breed again just want to know what you guys do every little detail is helpful had horses my whole life just new to breeding I've waited a long time before I got my first stud as I think everyone should do and now I feel like I'm being told I don't even deserve to have horses like I know nothing about them just really frustrated anyway anything helps thanks!

No answer on the breeding end, but holy run on sentance. Punctuation is your friend...

Ditto. I worked with a breeding manager and consulted my vet before I took over our breeding operation, and I am still learning after doing this for almost 10 years.

We acquired 2 brood mares from a family friend April of this year, they are 11 and 3 years old. Sage (11) had a 5 month old filly at her side and Lady (3) was had a colt in May. Before we got them these mares were kept with a stud running free in the pasture. The old owner kept telling me Lady was due to foal in March, when he really had no idea because he has no control over his breeding. We were also told Sage was not bred back, well that's not true either. She is as big as a house right now.

I tell you all of this to say pasture breeding happens all the time. This lady doesn't know what she is talking about. This stud had free rane to breed his mares when ever he wanted. This was a thriving horse ranch that bred roping and cutting horses (Colonel Freckles line) until he died a few years ago and his son did not want to carry on th business.

It is when you breed, if hand breeding

A mare free in the pasture, won't be in standing heat until she has come into heat about for three days. She then has the option to flirt with the stud, but not let him actually breed her, until she is in full standing heat .

If you hand breed a mare the first day that she comes into heat, she does not have the option to refuse the stud

When we hand bred mares, we teased them, but did not start to breed them until they had been in heat for three days When a mare first comes into heat, there is no viable egg about to be released

One just needs to the breed that mare every other day, until she goes out of heat, as the sperm stay viable

{Aaaand... In a senior moment, I didn't notice how old this thread was until after I'd replied to it... But, since we're in the midst of breeding season here, and this was on my mind anyway, may as well play Thread Necromancer.}

Okay, right now we have the luxury of breeding only our own mares, one at a time.

So we clean the stud up. Wait until the mare appears to be fully into heat. Take her into the stallion's paddock, and hand-breed to make sure she's really ready. (Especially with the stud's first cover of the season, he might be over-aggressive. So we like to keep things under control.) While everyone is kinda' mellow after the first cover, we turn them loose and leave them to it.

I like to see them make a good cover every day during the heat. The current stallion was apparently accustomed to hand-breeding, so sometimes I'll just go out and hold the mare for him (unnecessary, as she's happy to stand, but it seems to make him more comfortable) to make sure the daily cover happens.

There will usually come a day when their ardor escalates, and multiple covers happen. Probably right at ovulation... A day or so later, she'll start rejecting his advances. I will separate them at this point. They could stay together just for company if the stallion is cool about it... But my old stallion got the scent of another mare coming into season, senility and/or wishful thinking caused him to think his favorite mare was back in, and he went after her until she panicked and hurt him pretty bad kicking him off before I could intervene. (2200# Percheron mare kick is like getting hit by a truck.) So, when they're done, I split 'em up now.

Then we wait for the next mare to come into season, clean up the stud, and repeat the process.

In other operations, when we had multiple mares needing to be bred at the same time, we'd hand-breed the stallion twice a day. Scheduling each mare to get covered every other day starting her second or third day of observed heat. (Maybe fourth day if we knew the mare was prone to long heats. They usually ovulate near the end of the heat, so breeding such mares early in their estrous is just "exercise" for the stud.) We'd continue every-other-day covers on each mare until she rejected the stud.

Every-other-day hand breeding had a very good success rate. One-on-one paddock breeding theoretically has the highest possible probability of conception.

If it takes more than a firm hold, a little reassurance, and a good tease-up to get a mare, even a maiden, to stand for a cover, she is not ready to be bred.