EqQueen98

Favorite Breed Of Horse?

Mine are Warmbloods, esp Hanovarians and Holsteiners. I have two Hanovarians and two Holsteiners, and a Dutch Warmblood. So I really love the first two and like the Dutch WB. All imported from Europe, Germany, Belgium and Austria, I think. Most of the horses at my barn are imports, but some aren't. There are a few American bred WBs.

EqQueen98

Have to say;

MINE!

I love all my "kids", but do ride my Arab mare, and 1/2 Arab/Quarter most.

saddlebackandsis011.jpg

trailridemescalndisney026.jpg

I've had a TB, an Appaloosa, a half Arab, and Quarter Horses. I liked them all, but I guess the Quarter horses so far have been the best.

I'd love to have a Morgan. I think they have such presence! :happy0203:

Once in a while you find a decent horse among the lesser breeds, but I tend to stick with Appys, which have been in my family for almost 100 years...

I'll stick with my Arabians. There isn't much they can't do.

Yup - they are versatile and the foundation of most modern breeds. I raised Araloosas for many years - hard to beat an Appy/Arab cross as an endurance trail horse in rugged terrain. Arabs are pretty uppity for the Ozarks, though...(I would put a smiley there, but can't figure out how to get the emoticons posted)

Edited by Faceman

Hey, Dude! I'm IN the Ozarks, or on the edge anyway. Nobody ever said we were uppity here before. Well maybe that cowboy that got beat by my Arab at the cutting horse dealie last week. Beat by an Arab AND an old lady, heehee. The SHAME!

Arabs all the way. Was into jumpers in the mid 80's until I went to my first endurance ride in 89 and from that ride decided that it is arabs from now on. Sold the big 16.3 jumper and bought a little 14.3 arab and never looked back.

I also find the arabs bomb proof. Put over 34,000 logged miles on one of those little guys without a day lame, or a single vet call over the 17 years I rode him.

2llm36f.jpg

Edited by DR650

I have ridden several breeds, but have raised, shown and trail ridden Appaloosas for over thirty years

A good horse is a good horse, and depending on what discipline and what level of competition that you are focused on, helps decide breed choice

Appaloosas, because they still have allowable outcrosses, have great versatility and body type within the breed

Arabians excel at distance riding, but Appaloosas also are great mountain horses. I have no desire to ride 100 miles in a day, and win something like the Tevis Cup. My Apps do just fine putting in long days in the mountains, riding out at dawn and coming back at nightfall, climbing mountains and crossing fast flowing rivers, riding 30 miles a day, for a week or more

We have packed in camp and packed out elk on our Apps

I like stock horse events, like reining, trail, western pl, western riding and working cowhorse, and stock horse breeds dominate those events in the top open venues.

I also show HUS.

Charliebalanceride1_zps2c44e22e.jpg

Candencetrail_zps6969018e.jpg

Smiliesupercircuittrail1-1.jpg

Jerry.jpg

QedIn.jpg

SmilieHIP.jpg

Mixriver.jpg

can't we just acknowledge that all of our horses mean fun, personal growth, and quality of life? regardless of breed?

great pic smilie.

Well, of COURSE! If we all liked things the same, it would get boring real fast.

can't we just acknowledge that all of our horses mean fun, personal growth, and quality of life? regardless of breed?

There are lots of breeds I don't like and wouldn't own. there is nothing wrong with asking the forum what they prefer.

4rvxhc.jpg

Edited by DR650

I grew up around Arabians and still think they are the loveliest of horses. I've also ridden a number of versatile half-Arabs and particularly like Quarabs and Morabs.

Other favorite breeds are the Morgan and, of course, the Mustang.

Sadly, I am a horse junkie and love pretty much any horse that is beautifully structured, has a wide forehead, a great personality and brains. Long flowing manes & tails are a plus. :wub:

Uh, depends on what I need the horse for!

If I was in a position to buy, I'd want a Warmblood. I'm loving a mare I'm riding right now who was sold as a "Warmblood cross" but several of us have independently guessed Trakehner - and she's insanely similar in appearance and temperament to a friend's five-year-old Trakehner. But that's because I'd want to do dressage.

For long trail rides I'd prefer something else. A good Quarter Horse can work well in rough terrain - the best trail horse I ever rode was, believe it or not, a Quarter horse/Belgian cross owned by Anchor D ranch - but she was purpose bred. And in some climates and terrain, don't give me a horse at all...give me some extra ears and I'll be much happier ;).

And if I'm going to be riding all day on more level ground, I want something that doesn't trot. I have a soft spot for Icelandics.

And I love ponies. All ponies. Even the...no, I'll be honest...ESPECIALLY the "evil" ones.

Horses for courses and I suspect most people who have "favorite" breeds are picking the one that's best for their favorite horse activity. (My husband, on the other hand, has loved Appaloosas his entire life...)

Quarter horses. They are so far out in front as my favorite. Only breed I have ever owned other than one quarab. I've been around many many other breeds, but never had any desire to own any others.