Sign in to follow this  
KenzieLynn

Sore Stifle?

I have a 2 year old gelding I just picked up 7/28. He will let me pick up all of his hooves, except his right hind leg. When I try, he shift all of his weight onto that hoof, to the point he side steps towards me so I can't get to that hoof. When trotting, that right rear leg doesn't extend as far as the left. I tried pressing all over his hip area to see where he is sore, and it seems to be his patella/stifle region. However, if that was what's hurting him, why would he WANT to put his weight on that side?
Just a little confused and seeing if anyone has any ideas!

He was in a pasture with a mean old mare, so he may have been kicked. I really have no idea. He doesn't limp or show any signs of lameness, just doesn't want me to pick up that leg. The other side stretches and moves just fine.

Some of the most common stifle problems include cysts, osteochondritis dissecans (OCD), and injury to the ligaments and tendons stabilizing the joint.It's maybe like a person that has say a bad knee, they can bear weight often just standing, but movement is effected to various degrees.Sounds like this is his way of protecting his movement of the leg.