Sign in to follow this  
lonesomeequus

Good Xc Boots For My Older Horse?

I am taking my 18yo Arabian gelding to our first three phase in October. I usually school him in SMBs, as his lower leg conformation isn't perfect and I want to make sure he stays supported. We will only be doing Tadpole. What is a good boot that will protect and support him without keeping the heat locked in like an SMB can tend to do? Everyone at my barn uses Woolf boots, but they don't support the fetlock like I would like for him.

DSC_0215.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

nice pics!! do you know how to do polo wraps? (how's that renegade right shoulder doing :P ?) and what happened to all the green LOL? i love benny!

I do, and miss mare has a lovely fluorescent orange pair, but I don't know about running cross country in them. Just my luck they would come undone three fences in, haha. I *know* you can see that right shoulder doing its thing in that first picture, don't even play! :P I feel like it is generally better behaved now but the only pictures I have recently are jumping Ben pictures. The lime green was total western whimsy, we will event in bright yellow and light blue. I looveee yellow on a chestnut.

I think that first pic is one of my favorite riding shots of him ever. He looks gorgeous. Not bad for a $600 psychopath out of a redneck's pasture!

P.s. since I'm feeling chatty, I want to point out the little pinto behind me in the last pic. That is Salty, a Chincoteague pony that belongs to one of my students. He swam across the channel and everything!

what an appropriate name!! he's cute too (but not as handsome as ben :ph34r: ). our neighbor is a polo barn, and there are tournaments all summer long at the hotel/resort below our facility. i've seen a lot of carp happen (busted girths, people getting hit over the head with a mallet, friend's wife broke her arm when a ball smacked into it at around a billion miles an hour, irons coming off, but i've never seen wraps come off...).

it's the *coolest* (and i don't mean groovy) option that i'm aware of.

cc people say never never never use polo wraps. There can me major problems with a water-logged polo catching on a solid jump and causing icky falls.

I have a pair of Roma open-front boots that I really like - they are like affordable Eskadrons. Plenty of lower level people don't use any type of boot. They come in a nice cob size for us awesome Arab people :)

I just did a quick ebay search - looks like they only come in black and white now :( They used to come in light blue and regular blue and some other fun colors! Booooring.

What about Pegasus boots? I'm using them because of the heat factor of the SMBs and my gelding would dance on his front when they would come off... I love them! His legs are cool after rides.. (endurance training) I've used them through water, sand, tall grass, etc and haven't had an issue with nasty rubs or heat... Their customer service is excellent too. They have fun colors. :)

I'll have to check those out, Burgundy! I went ahead and ordered a white pair of Woofs. Our xc run shouldn't be more than .8mi, so he should be fine running without the ankle support. I may still do his stadium round in the SMBs though, a three phase makes for a long day.

We practiced our fitness for it on Sat. Poor boy had a short am dressage lesson, then I put his western saddle on so we could pony a 6yo for her lesson, then did a timed xc run in the afternoon! He handled it fine though, even if he thought I'd lost my mind!

Sharing here because i'm in my PB account anyway and my pony is so cute. We ended up third in tadpole!

IMG_20131005_130207_063-1.jpg

DSC_0147.jpg

DSC_0146.jpg

Because you *must* throw your shoulders forward into the canter!

DSC_0156.jpg

DSC_0316.jpg

DSC_0345-1.jpg

DSC_0404-1.jpg

And then he was a stupid drug addict when we schooled Sunday. Such is life...

DSC_0445.jpg

DSC_0487-1.jpg

DSC_0538.jpg