Sign in to follow this  
BugattiPaint

New Horse Bucks When Doesn't Get His Own Way?advice?

I recently bought this wonderful eleven year old Paint gelding from a horse trainer. He was used as the 'go-to' horse, friends, kids, people coming to visit would ride this horse. He is a gentleman on the ground, respectful, backs up, turns on his hindquarters, doesn't walk over you, yields to pressure blah blah. He was an absolute saint while riding ( a little hard mouthed but nothing big) no spook, no bolt, etc. I've been out to see him every day for the last week, but haven't rode him in about three days. We visit, I tie him up, brush him, spray him and paint his hooves. Then I leave.

So today,

Today was windy. That being said, it was windy for the last couple days. Today, me, my friend, her horse, and my horse ( who are the only horses on the property) were working on groundwork. Paint was perfect, doing everything I wanted to. Her horse acted up a bit, got under control everything was fine. So after some yielding exercises, I mounted my horse who stood nicely. I asked him forward, which he did and he turned towards his buddy which I corrected by turning him away and he promptly sped up. I asked him to slow down and he got humpy so I started to spin him the other way and he bucked.

Now this horse hasn't bucked ( said the trainer) since the day he was born. I don't know if the wind was the catalyst, maybe his buddy,maybe a cow mooed. Or maybe he was just being a little PITA and thought it was his right. I don't know. I landed on my feet, watched him crow-hop across the field and I went and caught him again. Then I lunged him for a a bit, got on him and we went for a trail ride. We ended on a good note, that's for sure. He was being so good.

Now, I don't know what to do.

It's not like he doesn't have respect, he does everything i ask him too. He's never offered a buck since I got him besides today? There should be no reason for him to act like that, he knows better. He's been looked over by a vet, so I can rule out pain or problems in his back or legs, etc.

I contacted his old owner and she said it's very unlike him and I should probably just lunge him before every ride for a couple days until its back to normal. If it doesn't storm, I'm going riding again today in a group with some people I haven't rode with in quite some time so I'm planning to have him on his best behaviour. I will lunge him before mounting him again, just for my own sanity.

What should I do?

From what everyone has said, this sounds like an isolated incident which may have been caused by any number of things. Unless it begins happening on a regular basis, I would just ignore it. If it begins happening on a regular basis, you need to try to determine everything which happen just before the occurrence and try to find a common factor which may be causing it.

We went for another longer trail ride today and he was great, spooky in the wind (one bolt, one spook) but no damage ( deer like to make a lot of noise and tarps are awful in the wind).

I should just tie him up there one day and let him learn that I'm spookier than a tarp >:)

Yeah, it was a once-in-a-lifetime buck, so I'll let him off with some lunging and no nonsense.

i just had a blast from the past and thought it might be worth sharing with you. when we first moved to germany in 1993 and i was still horseless i rode with a livery outfit in the hills north of frankfurt. after a couple of times they decided to give me the *problem child* in the group, an 8 year old mare that was a bolter but very well bred and beautiful. 20 years younger and dumber i agreed--i'm not *the hot shot rider* but back then i found crazy challenges "fun" and could sit through just about anything. i had to run her into trees, walls, even rivers at times to stop the bolt, until one day when the breeder who was somewhat older at the time decided he was feeling well enough to ride with us.

"is this the same horse?" "have you drugged her?!" i couldn't believe it--she behaved like the perfect lady the entire 3 hours and was a joy to ride. but, and this is a big but, she had one ear on him the entire ride, and he was never more than two horses away.

the next couple of rides same story ("thar she goes!! send us a postcard from the next county!"), and then the guy felt well enough to ride with us again. miss perfect materialized again too. i guess what i'm trying to say is that in my situation 20 years ago i really believe that respect was a big issue. there were two of us riding her regularly at the time, and we were just containing the behavior. when he was around she just didn't go there. i think a relevant/important/appropriate question for the trainer and owner might be whether they were always around when the horse was being ridden.