The has got to be the worst horse related injury to a person i think I have ever witnessed....

and yes, I got to see and 'hear' ( shudders) the whole dang thing.

We were in the pasture catching horses, it was muddy and the horses were frisky-ish b/c of weather change.

It was me, Possum ( HC member) and a good pal of our who we ride with.

The pal is the victim...he was leading his caught horse towards to gate to get out and the herd was crowding gate and blocking the exit...so I was trying to clear a path of horse bodies to get him thru.

Everything was low keyed and normal. Just when it was about safe to pass...out of nowhere a horse jetted across the guy's path to get away from the herd boss gelding who shooed him away from him...and at same time...my 3 year of mare ( who is lead mare now) was doing the 'back up shimmy gonna kick ya move' towards the same horse who was headed towards her to get away from gelding....and when the omega horse passed in front of our pal...our pal was paying attention to omega horse so as not to get trampled on...giving horse a clear path to pass and not get hurt by it.

If that would have been all there was to the story, this would have been a normal day.

But, like I said...my 3 year old boss mare was in process of setting up for the kick at the omega gelding. Omega gelding dashed out of her way just in time for our pal to take the full onslaught of her kick...

TO HIS FACE! DEAD ON!

The man's face is shattered...he is in intensive care right now under guarded condition. He will require a 10-15 hour surgery to basically rebuild his entire face/pallet/nose and top bridge of his mouth and teeth.

He will be unable to eat or drink for about 2-3 months ( I heard from his wife) and he will have a slow recovery.

I am sick to my stomach b/c I saw the whole thing...and seemed like time stood still. One second it was just another day of moving horses and making decent sized paths cleared for humans and caught horses to pass...and the next. BAM!

We all do this stuff with our horses daily...and yet...what we all do thousands of times suddenly became almost fatal!

I am mortified....I woke up this morning crying about it. This could have been me...or worse...a kid...ONE OF MY KIDS!

I still feel sick to my stomach about it....

Now please...I am begging those who want to give out lectures on herd dynamic and safety to please refrain. It was one of those horse moments that all the care and control could not have avoided...save for staying home and watching football on TV that day.

Nobody was at fault and it was terrible terrible friggin bad fortune. I actually wish there was anything I could have done to avoid this man...who we dearly care for...to get hurt like this. he almost died right in front of me. The doctor said one millimeter more and he would have been dead before he hit the mud. One second would have made a difference as to whether he would have even gotten the kick at all.

Edited by teampenninglady123

*thoughts/prayers*

I have always been leary of leading horses to/from/through groups of loose horses. The only thing that can be done is to safely move the group of loose horses away from the led horses to get through the gate .... and the only way that I know of to do that is to longe-whip the loose horses that I can touch with the whip to get them away from the gate so no dashing can occur.

One other thing, is doing the above can rile up ALL of the horses, even the caught ones. Some days, it is just dangerous to handle horses and all we can do is be as safe as we can.

More *thoughts/prayers*

OMG!!! I'm so sorry this happened.....sometimes things just go completely wrong when dealing with caught and loose horses in the same pasture. Sending prayers to your pal for a complete recovery and speedy healing. Prayers for you and the rest of the family involved.

How awful! Prayers his recovery is good and quick :(

I was nearly kicked in the head leading my horse in one day. The boss gelding went cantering by and threw a sideways kick at my gelding that whooshed right by the side of my head. Probably the scariest, closest call I've ever had with a horse; they always seem to happen when you're doing something totally ordinary.

So very awful for him, and for you to witness! No lecture here; stuff happens around horses. I got kicked in the back at feed time by a normally gentle horse when another horse snuck up next to me as I went past the other and WHAM!! went a-flyin'. So now, doesn't matter if I'm meandering the pasture, feeding, bringing in or turning out, those horses *will not* crowd me because I can be one grumpy boss mare myself and refuse to be in that situation again. Jingles for your pal's healthy recovery!

Thanks guys...means so much to get what I saw off my chest.

I am really shook up about it....I am glad for the rain days now b/c I really am not composed enough to continue on with riding lessons....too fresh.

I will recover...but, like I said I am glad for the rain outs.

Your prayers and jingles are helping...thanks!

Hugs and prayers all around - for his physical healing and emotional healing for the both of you.

I will for one take this to heart, I don't generally allow crowding when I bring my boy in, but he is near the bottom of the heard and if it's almost dinner time when I go to ride the others can be cranky about him coming out...will take this to heart for sure.

I feel so helpless reading this, TPL...

Thank you for sharing.

It is reassuring that you are aware no one was at fault and there is no one to blame.

Sincere good wishes for your friend's recovery.

Mark

Edited by carlofab

Prayers and well wishes to your friend.. I've been on the bottom of a mega, omega, herd boss conflict and it came out of no where.. Thank god for deep mud and I only had my arm stepped on by the Fjord... another time I got a drive by bite from my gelding for no reason... He missed the horse he was striking at and My arm crossed his mouth.. He had an "oh poop" moment in his eyes after he did it though..but he still got a long session in the round pen..It can happen at anytime to any of us.. the animals are just unpredictable.. even the St. Bernards get us off guard when we are in bed..Hubby really should wear a cup...

AD

TPL, sometimes no matter how safe we try to be, poop happens. Will keep your friend and you in my prayers.

Coming down the fence from the side of a group is the only thing I would have done different.

I am terribly sorry that this happened to him and that that you all had to witness it. Prayers for this man's healing and ya'lls emotional recovery.

Wow. I hope he heals well. What a frightening thing to witness.

It makes me more aware of my own actions in the barn with two horses in close quarters. Sometimes I am a bit too confident that nothing will go wrong. I'm going to be more careful after reading this.

Unfortunately when we mess with live animals stuff can happen. This is a horrible thing but you said it yourself there was nothing you could do. Prayers for him and his wife who I'm sure will be caring for him and prayers for you. It's hard to watch something and have no control over it. I'm sorry this happened.

Oh how awful. Prayers for him and you. Watching that kind of thing is awful. I saw a horse rear up and come down on top of my boss's face...it's just sickening to think about. The accident you witnessed sounds far worse.

Man. So sorry about this situation. I hope he has a full recovery.

As has been stated... horses are big, powerful animals. Even in their predictability, crazy things can happen. Wrong place at the wrong time, it really does happen, even to the most experienced of people. Sorry you had to witness such a thing.

:angel3: :angel3: :angel3: :angel3: :angel3: :angel3:

Prayers for you friend's healing and recovery

Prayers for strength and emotional healing his family

Prayers and hugs for you and Possum as you recover from witnessing this awful accident.

One of the reasons that I didn't work with Sienna as much as I wanted, was the barn owner kept leaving her in the same pasture as her draft horses. If she wasn't home I didn't go there. I had to use a buggy whip to drive them away from the end of the pasture and the gate to get my horse out and the BO didn't like that. The BO kept saying that they wouldn't knock me down or kick me. Umm, sorry, you never ever say "My horse won't do X,Y or Z!" Because one day they will do X,Y, or Z and if your not careful or lucky, you will get hurt.

thanks guys....I needed your :huggy: ...

UPDATE: his daughter just called our company....got number from website, I guess, and told us he is awake-ish enough to tell her to call us and tell us he is "okay" and not to worry.

They are transporting him to another hospital ( prbly there now) and is going in for first round of surgery tomorrow morning.

His recovery time is predicted to be 6 months. But...doctor said since he is so physically fit and healthy and tough and no smoking, drinking or bad eating habits ( he is a health conscience guy) takes vitamins and supplements and works out...he is already predicted to overcome this sooner.

He is 50 but has the body and mind-set of 30.

This is GREAT NEWS!!

Please keep up your prayers for him while he is in Sx tomorrow morning.

:angel3::huggy::angel3::notworthy::angel3:

good news!! that is very scary for sure. my sister got kicked in the face. luckily she just got stitches by her brow. my other friend got kicked and lost her teeth. horses are dangerous! it could always be worse. I don't like picking horses out of a field when they're in a group either.