Sign in to follow this  
Magnum Girl

"grown Up" Jobs

So, I'm just kind of curious as to what amount of drama you can expect in a "grown up" job or career. I will say, I am 24, but have been working since I was 17. I've worked for little companies, big companies, and most have been a year or more (some overlapped) so I have time to really get the feel and vibe of everyone. I was always taught, you leave your personal life at home as best you can. If you're having a bad day, so what, do your job and don't let it affect your work. I'm know for having crap happen before 8 in the morning, usually if something is going to go really wrong in my day, it's going to be before work. I take care of it, and then I come to work and do my job.

I've been at this job for a little over 2 years now. I started as an intern and now oversee all the purchasing and inventory. I like what I'm doing, I like the company I'm doing it for, but I swear my coworkers are the whiney-est, moodiest, bunch of people I have ever met in my life. And it makes my job really, really hard. And suck. My manager doesn't need to be a manager. He isn't cut out for it, he's amazing at what he does, but his people skills are SERIOUSLY lacking. A lot of what I'm doing is what he used to do. He wants me to do it, but won't let me, I have everything I need from him and I can handle it, he just won't let go of the control. He tries to micromange everything and is only a manager when it is convient for him to be, and then goes about it the completely wrong way.

My coworkers- well. Most are ok, there's 5-6 though out of a company of 20 thought that can't leave their personal life at home. I have been screamed at, cussed at, ignored, treated in passive aggressive manners, you name it, it's happened. If someone is having a bad day, you know. It makes it really hard to do my job when someone is not talking to anyone because they had a fight with their boyfriend. Or their stressed from the wedding planning and I need their help with something. They're letting whatever happens in their outside life reflect on the job their doing and their attitude with coworkers. Or the customer service rep is ignoring everyone in the warehouse because she had a fight with the truck driver over who needed to take care of something. And there were nasty emails exchanged (everyone in the department can read them), and there was stomping and throwing of product, and just general immaturity.

For the most part, we're all 20-30 somethings. We're all past the point of this is just a job. We've all worked here for 2+ years, we're in relationships, getting married, starting families. But it feels like the maturity level is way below where it should be. I've gotten several emails from my boss this morning, and every single one of them has made me shake my head and just go "really?! that's really what you're going to say? And how you're going to say it?" I don't feel like it should be like this, but I don't have enough experience to know if it gets better. So your opinions? I'd hate to leave my job just to go work somewhere like it. But it has litterally gotten to the point where someone says something and I just want to smack them upside the head and walk out of my job. I can handle my work load for the most part, but dealing with everything else is just so draining and makes me dread coming in to work.

Do you want to make things better? Or are you about ready to throw in the towel?

Who is the 'boss'?

Generally there is a chain of command that has to be gone through when attempting to resolve any employee situations. Go directly to your supervisor and tell him/her just what you told us.

If that doesn't work, go to his/her supervisor and try again.

Always keeping your composure.... state your problem categorically without throwing the blame on anybody... and then say.. I'd like to help make this better. Let them know YOU are attempting to help the company by approaching this problem in a professional, helpful manner.

If they try to get you to 'tattle' on someone - decline politely and say something like - "That's not what this is about.", but still the problem exists and I'd like some advice on how to resolve it.

And then hope for the best.

Good luck!

I've found that there is ALWAYS something. Sometimes it is the hours. Sometimes it is coworkers. Sometimes it is the boss. Sometimes it is the work itself.

No matter where you land, it is very likely to have some crummy parts. You just have to decide if they are crummier than you are willing to deal with or not.

I will say that I work for a VERY VERY large company, and my coworkers (and myself) have good days and bad days. Your personal life WILL impact your work, because it impacts you. How much it impacts your work is up to the individual to determine. We do support each other on rough days, but we also all come to work with the expectation that everyone is going to do their best on any given day, and not take out personal problems on co-workers.

Unprofessional emails. No.

Unresponsive to coworkers. No.

Cursing at coworkers. No.

Damaging company product/property. No.

These are all things that would hit your HR file and be used to start building the case to fire you. Unacceptable in a professional work environment.

Some times it's tough being one of the few mature adults in a job filled with over aged children. :rolleye0014:

Every business that I've ever worked for has it's bad managers, drama lamas, cry babies, dimwits, pouting or squabbling pre-schoolers or lazy bums.

If I liked the job or the money was good enough or there were enough good co-workers or I didn't have to spend much time with the annoying ones, I stayed.

If not, then I started looking else where.

I found having a sense of humor and making up silly (internal) names for them makes coping with juvenile behavior easier.

Mike (the mental midget) was a supervisor like yours that proved the "Peter Principle" was real and had a corner office. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle :crazy: I had to figure out ways to navigate around him to do my job the right way. I kept a mental total of how many times I evaded train wrecks or pulled his backside out of the fire on a daily basis and noted the number on the corner of my daily calendar. If I was having a rough day, I looked back to find a day with a high # and told myself that I'd survived that one and I would survive today.

Arlene (nobodies darling) was a controlling, screaming, BIA that was under the delusion that people liked or respected her. They actually threw a party the day after she left. :grin:

I worked with Mike for two years and six years with Arlene.

I'm still sane, happy and I have a great boss! :yay:

Edited by dondie

Dondie, I must say, you do have a way with words! That describes most of the jobs I have had also! No matter where you work, there will be something/someone! The question is do the pro's outweigh the cons? And a sense of humor does help a lot!

Every business that I've ever worked for has it's bad managers, drama lamas, cry babies, dimwits, pouting or squabbling pre-schoolers or lazy bums.

Many years ago, I remember my husband coming home from work frustrated-beyond-belief with how needy about not being able to make a decision w/out holding someone's hand so there'd be someone to share-the-blame if he made a wrong decision one of his co-workers was. Husband was venting and making loud noises about quitting and going to work somewhere else to get away from this annoying person.

I remember telling him it didn't matter where he went, he'd encounter The Same People and the only difference is they would have different names. Maybe.

He didn't leave his job, instead he found a way to work around the annoying one that gave Annoying some of the support Annoying wanted but left Annoying's job responsibilities squarely on Annoying's shoulders. Yeah, he 'named' him Annoying and you made me LOL when I read you suggesting to give difficult people a private identifying name! LOL

Thanks for the replies guys. I know there's always going to be something, somewhere, but I'm just not sure how much is considered normal. There's no way around my day to day functions with these people, and even then the attitude just depends on the day! I'm looking at the possibilty of buying a house, so I know job stability is important- it just makes me nervous when I walk in every day asking myself "is today the day I lose it and walk out?!"

The joys of growing up. I wanna be a kid again :surrender:

Thanks for the replies guys. I know there's always going to be something, somewhere, but I'm just not sure how much is considered normal. There's no way around my day to day functions with these people, and even then the attitude just depends on the day! I'm looking at the possibilty of buying a house, so I know job stability is important- it just makes me nervous when I walk in every day asking myself "is today the day I lose it and walk out?!"

The joys of growing up. I wanna be a kid again :surrender:

I wanna be a kid again too! :smileywavey:

Oooooh. I tell kids all the time to stop being in a hurry to grow up. I swear, for most people, being a kid is The LAST Time you will ever feel completely safe, have everything taken care of for you with minimal responsibilities and no financial worries.

Edited by Heidi n Q

Read more: http://forums.horsecity.com/index.php?showtopic=47102382#ixzz2dlamFP7o

Oh so true.. I deal with day in and day out.. with workers and with staff... I can not believe how many say .. "I wasn't trained or no one told me" The problem is so many people don't pay attention to detail and just don't care about their jobs...

this is why i decided to go the self-employed route. you have a reason for everything you do, there are no politics and the only one who is telling you what to do you is YOU (or your accountant harhar), to a certain extent you dictate your own hours depending on your market and whether what you're selling is product or service oriented, and if things go south you have only yourself to blame.

but i didn't jump the *regular day job* ship until i was 32, so unless you're a bill gates or steve jobs wannabe it would probably be wise to stick it out for a while until you decide what your priorities are.

All grown up want to be kids again!

Not me! I appreciate my autonomy!

To the OP: Reading your post reminds me that I am not cut out to work around other people all the time and makes me grateful once again that I do not have to be. I have a very low tolerance for people with their heads up their butts and for adults that can't cope with the real world and for managers who suck at their jobs.

The advice I have (and it is, admittedly, weak,) is to make getting through your work a day-to-day goal. Stability IS important. There WILL be drama no matter where you go. Dondie's (very wise) post essentially alluded to the fact that some days ya just gotta do what it takes to get through just that day. Try not to think about getting through the week, just the day. Maybe just to lunch. :winking:

Haha, maturity level . . . I work for an insurance company, and one of my co-workers, a ditzy blond in her fifties, constantly talks in high pitched baby talk. Even calls our manager (ten years younger than her) "mom-eeeeee" in baby talk when she wants something. I think she thinks it's cutesy and sweet. I want to stab my pencil in my eye when she does it.

So, no, they don't grow up!

And I love the whispering constantly, and then the moment you walk by, they shut up and glare at you. And when someone goes to every cubicle in the department and invites that person to lunch. Except for you.

It's pettier than high school, honestly. It's why The Office was a hit! You cant make that bleep up!

Haha, maturity level . . . I work for an insurance company, and one of my co-workers, a ditzy blond in her fifties, constantly talks in high pitched baby talk. Even calls our manager (ten years younger than her) "mom-eeeeee" in baby talk when she wants something. I think she thinks it's cutesy and sweet. I want to stab my pencil in my eye when she does it.

I would NEVER survive a work anvironment like that. I can't believe her boss let's her get away with that. Unprofessional at best. Mental disorder at worst. Even just READING it increases my anxiety levels. Sorry. :surrender: