PaintedWishes

Trail Ride From September 3, 2013

On Tuesday the 3rd, my friend and I both had the day off so we took off on another adventure. We started at the Paradise Park trail head, rode about 6 miles to where it crossed the PCT, the rode the PCT around the mountain all the way to Timberline Lodge, about 5 or 6 miles. There was about a two mile stretch of the PCT that was in bad shape. The trail was extremely narrow due to washouts with some rocks and roots in a few places that were challenging to negotiate. We even had a few places that we had to get off and lead the horses through. We got some amazing views and finally got a fairly good view of the mountain once we reached the lodge. It was cloudy enough that we never got a clear shot of the mountain but it was an overall great day for a ride. Below are a few of the pics I took.

Starting out, he wanted to make sure we were going the right way, after he licked the map clean of course..

DSCF8826_zpsa68fc992.jpg

Heading out, some of the rhode bushes were taller than me!

DSCF8835_zpsdc8ca842.jpg

Pretty view along the Paradise Park trail...

DSCF8839_zps45cda89e.jpg

Beautiful waterfall up the creek from where we had to cross..

DSCF8863_zpsa43b50e8.jpg

Riding along the PCT towards the mountain, you can only see a the very bottom due to the clouds.

DSCF8881_zpsc039b59b.jpg

More pics in next post.

At the top of the ridge, Im on the right in the black shirt and my friend is on the left in blue.

DSCF8889_zps5dee1c57.jpg

DSCF8894_zps5afe0006.jpg

DSCF8905_zpsa014a23e.jpg

My friend and her pretty horse, climbing back up out of a ravine

DSCF8923_zpsf27b7587.jpg

The cloud cover is finally lifting off the mountain! You can see the top of the highest ski lift on the right

DSCF8931_zps3a83414d.jpg

More in next post..

Riding under the ski lift.....

DSCF8945_zps46529d5b.jpg

Coming down towards the beautiful Timberline Lodge.

DSCF8955_zpsd3458496.jpg

Mt Hood.

DSCF8961_zps715523dd.jpg

The front of the historic Timberline Lodge. It was dedicated by Franklin D Roosevelt on September 28, 1937.

DSCF8969_zps71bafa00.jpg

Me with both horses in front of the lodge.

DSCF8971_zpse7e6961e.jpg

Best buds...

DSCF8972_zps88eb0166.jpg

NICE pics of the mountain, and good to see folks riding and enjoying the trails!

Also nice to see riders with helmets, as I am a "Nazi" about that.

You know, the lodge looks amazingly a lot like the lodge at Crater Lake in Oregon!!

Last time I was there, it was July 20th, and the snow was still about 3 ft deep!

We have been riding in the mountains as well, as it has been over 100 F for weeks here in So. Calif.!

horsefairandsequoia052.jpghorsefairandsequoia074.jpghorsefairandsequoia070.jpghorsefairandsequoia066.jpghorsefairandsequoia061.jpg

My friend and I always ride with a helmet, and anyone who rides with us has to have one on as well. The lodges are very similar, I wonder if they had the same person design both of them? Timberline is really neat inside as well. Usually it is nice and cool in the mountains but this year has been unusually warm. Most of the high elevation trails aren't clear enough until late July or early August but this year they opened most of them in June. There is very little snow up there now, weird to see it that empty. The lodge itself sits around the 6,000 ft level on the south side of the mountain and usually has snow into July as well. The summer ski lifts up there have been closed most of summer as well. Hopefully this weekend we will get to explore some new trails. Looks like you have some pretty areas to ride in as well. Love being in the mountains.

your friend can ride in the mountains with her calves exposed :twitch: ? mine would be hamburger meat in 20 minutes due to being a magnet for bugs, any bugs. love your pictures and the one of the horses smooching :lol: .

Those are amazing views of the mountains. Living down here on the coast doesn't offer any mountainous trails without trailering the horses up to North Alabama, middle Ga and so on. Those opportunities don'r come around very often.

You have to admit, the western U.S., has the most striking mountains, and probably some of the most steep. It is normal for us here to ride above 6000 ft, and my Brother who is in Pennsylvania, would have to drive to another state to even get to be at 6000 ft.

It is like when he sends pics of the New England fall colors! Sooooo pretty! and we don't have the same spectrum of color. Even in the mountains the Aspens, Willows, and other Diciduous trees, do not put on the palatte of colors that the New England ones do!

On the other hand.. we have some really spectacular steep trails!!

horsefairandsequoia079.jpg

7-2010triptoeasternsierra178.jpg7-2010triptoeasternsierra191.jpg

Nick - she usually does ride in capris in the summer time. Not sure how she does it either, my legs would really get beat up if I did that. Depending on how brushy an area is I will sometimes use half chaps over my jeans. Sissely - those pics are awesome! Looks like you have some really pretty country to ride in as well. I love being in the mountains and most of the trails are at most 1/2 hour drive for me. Some of the trails can get really steep but the views are amazing! The picture of us on the ridge I think is around the 7,000 ft level. I wish the clouds would of cleared more so we could of gotten the whole mountain in the pic. I will see what pics I have and I can share a few more of the mountain and the surrounding areas. We are only 2 hours from the beach as well with more mountains and beautiful coastline.

Edited by PaintedWishes

Here is one of my favorite pics of the mountain. It is taken from the opposite site as the ridge pic. This one was taken on the north face of the mountain off of the Top Spur tail.

DSCF3016.jpg