Roadyy

That Talk Thread

PD and AlexS, thanks for the well wishes. I went back in last Thursday to have to dental implant redone. They did more xrays and found out it failed because I didn't have enough bone in the area to make it stable enough so they had to do a bone graft. Once that heals in 4 - 6 months then they will put the implant back in.

AlexS - its always tough to see them go but thats cool that he will be able to go back with his family. Sounds like you are doing a great job with them. Huggs.

Roadyy - my horse is the same way with trailers. He will hop right in a slant load with out a second thought but a straight load will make him think about it for a bit and not be so eager to go.

No computer for me for a while till I can replace mine. I accidentally flipped a large peppermint mocha over the keyboard and into the tower. Ooppsss...won't work now even after running a hair dryer over it. It smells yummy though when I did try it.

Our weather here has been cold and foggy but at least dry for now. Hoping for some snow though for Christmas.

PW, After a bone graft for your dental implant, I hope you can chew a tough steak, after everything is healed up. I had a co-worker years ago, that spilled a coke on his lap top at home, & it cost him dearly to fix it. So I wish you well finding another.

Roady, Glad you could get your horses home, makes for a more complete feeling.

:huggy: Alex, I wish you well today, as foster son leaves home, so Take Care. :huggy:

Char, Nice to have you stop in, even for a brief period, & share some positive words. PD

Oh my PW, this has turned into a real ordeal. I am so sorry, and I imagine you are putting a brave face on the pain of it all. I am sorry you are going through that, why can't our bodies just work like they are supposed to?

Char, join in - it's a rule you know! :) If you are reading, you have to join in from time to time when you can!

So glad they are all home Rick! What a great Holiday gift that you will be there with all the critters.

Thank you everyone for the outpouring of support about J leaving. He left at 7.30 Weds morning, so I did a tearful goodbye Tues night and told him everything I wanted him to know, as I am a zombie in the morning. We went to his favorite Chinese, and I spent some time in the bathroom. Bleh, I don't plan to go there ever again. Then I couldn't sleep, caught 1.5 hours hours, and got up to wish him a tearful goodbye again. Poor kid must have recited my phone number 50 times, as I kept asking him. I made a commitment 6 years ago, that as long as I was still in the US I would never change my number so the kids can get me as long as they remember the number.

I miss him a lot, but I am getting closer to feeling proud that another one went home, that's the goal right. It never feels like the goal when the parents were responsible for them coming to me, but it is the goal - it's so mixed. But heck, I'd keep them all forever if I could, and there's not room for 30. I tell myself that I can take the next as the last moved along his journey, but heck, I'd like him here to help with his words of wisdom.

I had both drama and a moment of why I do this tonight.

Kids formally referred to as kids 4&5, who are now 3&4, or G & C had a fight. C was the aggressor, Brad was at work. C is about my size, so I barged into the room, running at full speed and shoved him hard. I need to push pretty hard, or I shove and no one moves, and then went chest to chest with G to get him to back off. I weight 120lbs on a heavy day, usually 110-115 range. G is 6'1'', and C is only about an inch taller than me. Thankfully G is a big baby for a 17 year old male, so I shoved him out the door, and in a one word command said 'sit' and pointed to the top of the stairs. LOL. I don't mean to talk to them like that, but in a crisis, dog commands come out of my mouth - I don't know why, maybe because it's quick - anyway he sat, and I was able to move him to a single room and defuse it so they could go to bed.

It's not real fun getting between kids when fists are flying but oddly something kicks in, and I don't consider that until after it's dealt with.

And the really great, T, kid 2 always helps me cook, as that's when we have our best talks, as it's just us. That's why he helps, he needs that one on one time.

In group therapy at the office tonight, the therapist went around the room and asked everyone what they were most excited about for Christmas. There's always meltdowns from the kids this time of year, as it's hard for them, so he was starting the conversation.

T said all the other kids named specific gifts they were going to get, and he was the only one to say he was looking forward to time with family.

I turned to him and said 'oh Hun, there isn't a visit scheduled for you over the Holidays. I am so sorry'

He said, 'no Alex, I mean you and Brad, and Joe and Carol' (my inlaws).

And that was my Christmas gift right there from him. He could not have given me more.

Yeah, it is hard seeing them move on but when they do, it means you have done a good job! As far as the dog commands when the situation is tense? Short, sharp commands will be heard when nothing else will! When our grandkids would be fighting, we would get out the boxing gloves. basic rules of no hitting in the face or below the belt. Usually, it was over pretty quick!

Alex, Hard to fix all the problems of other people children, but at least you are giving them direction, that they wouldn't have other wise. After you put so much of yourself into a person, you are going to feel a lose when they move on. But your talent is very much needed, to give these guys direction. Thankyou. PD

I have not been lurking, just not here lately. As it has been quite cold for several days a week ago, and 17*F, is too Dm cold for me! Broken pipes, and part time side work for real live "coins of the realm".

Linda and I went riding up in the foothills, to about 5000 ft, and got to ride in the snow, fall on my bottom, and of course get the truck stuck, with horses in the trailer! So, get out the shovels from the bed box, dig out the truck, put branches, and wood beneath the tires, and ...yep! I dug in even deeper!!

I hate the weight of my diesel when I don't have 4 wheel drive!!

Guy from forestry came by, and said wait for him and he will get his truck. I asked "why not pull with the company truck"? Was told, if you bump the forestry truck getting out, or pull the bumper out of shape, or maybe get it stuck, he will get fired!

Ok, wait for about 25 minutes, and he comes with his 6 wheel drive army duece and a half!!

LOVE that old military stuff! We were out in about 30 seconds, and back on the hard pavement. Put the horses back in the trailer, and took the guy for a good hot cup of coffee!!

I want to go out to Red Rock Cyn again, and will try to get somemore shots of us in "Nightmare Gulch" where I love to explore. All of the area is now under state park protection from the motorcycles, two wheeled locusts, and quad terrorists, so maybe the falcons and other raptors can breed.

Even horses, and hikers are forbidden there during the breeding season.

We have also been thinking of going up to "Robbers Roost" where "Black Bart" used to rob the stages from the north, and from the mines of the east Sierra's. Nice looking area, and I have not explored there yet!! Lots of history, and lots of open riding up there.

OK, ...Merry Christmas everyone!!! and happy Humbug too!

Edited by siseley

Merry Christmas to all...

I, too, have been busy and not in here as much as I would like. With the horses at home in a small paddock sized area, I have been going hard at clearing more of the property to make more room for them. Have gotten a lot done, but still have a long ways to go.

Alex, I am glad to hear the boys do tend to respect you to the point of not turning on you when you intercede. I will keep a prayer in there that J and his family are able to keep it together and prosper.

PW, I hope the pain isn't too much during the Christmas Feasts as that would be terrible not being able to enjoy the delicious food.

Char, welcome and hope to see you add some cheer to our growing relationships.

Siseley, Sounds like you got lucky with the Ranger coming by like they did. 4x4 is nice to have if rough terrain to the trails. Would love to see some pics of the places as you venture through them.

We are getting a lot of rain today and have already rained some of the guys out. If I get a full day in today then we work til noon tomorrow then I'll get some more time on the tractor.

Merry Christmas (in 2 days) all! I'm finally on break, so I am going to put in a lot of time getting my portfolio ready for an internship I have to complete to finish my Master's. I hope everyone has a blessed holiday.

Here are a few random pics as promised..

These are some of the bloomings along the road beside the house that goes to the back of the property..

Bloom1.jpeg

Bloom2.jpeg

There are several walk paths through the trees that are very tranquil and will be nice to put a couple of sitting benches along the way.

As thick as this little area is is how everything looked before I started bush hogging..

CL4.jpeg

This is what it looks like now and will continue to clear out as I keep at it.

CL6.jpeg

CL7.jpeg

CL5.jpeg

Found this little fella while moving some large PVC pipe out of the way so I could bush hog..

Snake.jpeg

Here are the boys enjoying a meal while listening to the soothing sound of trees falling and being ate up by a bush hog..

doc.jpeg

LMampTrusty.jpeg

Good job, Roady! We have youpon holly all over our property under the trees. Some of them are as big as trees! What kind of snake was that? Is he all black?

Roaddy-good job on all the land clearing. Looks really good and will make a nice area for your pretty horses.

Johnathan- good luck with your internship and masters.

My mouth is healing and very little pain now so it is much easier to eat, but I'm still restricted on what I can eat though. I sang last weekend with my choir for our Christmas services. It was so much fun but exhausting. I'm still a bit tired today but at least its my day off. Took a fun pic of my horse this morning but can't get it on here with just my phone. No new computer yet. Hope everyone is having a great day and a Merry Christmas!

Roaddy-good job on all the land clearing. Looks really good and will make a nice area for your pretty horses.

Johnathan- good luck with your internship and masters.

My mouth is healing and very little pain now so it is much easier to eat, but I'm still restricted on what I can eat though. I sang last weekend with my choir for our Christmas services. It was so much fun but exhausting. I'm still a bit tired today but at least its my day off. Took a fun pic of my horse this morning but can't get it on here with just my phone. No new computer yet. Hope everyone is having a great day and a Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas, and/or Happy Holidays to everyone.

I finished wrapping this morning around 3.30am. There's a stupid amount of gifts for everyone, so hoping they have a great Christmas.

In great news, J friend requested me on FB. I was so thrilled, as I never know if they want to leave their life with me behind or not, two former kids felt this way.

C went home to upstate NY for a family visit on 12/20, he's returning on 12/30. He's been texting me updates - which included a photo of him with pierced ears. LOL. Heck it didn't happen on my watch.

So I just have 3 with me tomorrow. I can't wait to see them opening their gifts, they were all just trying to figure out which wrapping paper is theirs at my inlaws.

Off to Brad's Aunt's Christmas Eve party shortly, then tomorrow will be busy - so wishing you all a wonderful day now.

Thank you, PW!

It has been a long journey, but I can see the finish line.

Alex, I am so thankful for people like you, who honestly try to do a good job at fostering. The world needs more like you. God bless you and the kids during this holiday season.

Edited by jonathanward2006

Good luck with the internship, Jonathan! So close to the finish! Won't it be a relief?

All the gifts are wrapped, stockings are filled and pies made. Won't have to rush in the morning as one of the grandson's will have to work tonight from midnight to eight in the morning then has to go back at midnight Christmas day. We will eat late so he can get some sleep. Fine with me!

Merry Christmas to all and may you have a stress free day!

Johnathon, I can't imagine doing your Master's while teaching. Congratulations on finishing and thank you for choosing the "noble profession."

Thank you Jonathan. Best wishes with finishing your degree, while working, I know that has to be hard. Hang in there.

I had a fit tonight, I was having an argument with kid 1, B, and I threw the xbox out of the front door. It promptly smashed into pieces, that I just spent 30 mins cleaning up so the dogs wouldn't step on shards. He's done with basketball, and a new xbox is in my future.

On Christmas Day, my car skipped a gear twice, then when Brad went home to let the dogs out, he had to coast it into a parking spot and FIL came to the rescue. They are calling for $2500 to rebuild the tranny.

Great news, we are kid free for 24 hours tomorrow. We don't have the money for it, but I made a reservation at a fancy restaurant. Heck we are worth it.

Sometimes you just have to splurge, Alex! Next time instead of tossing the X box out the door, just cut off the plug! Be sure to leave enough wire on it to splice it back on later! Much cheaper! I did that to the TV and the video game system when my kids were younger! You would have thought I had cut off their hands!

I so hate car problems! Would it be cheaper to get a rebuilt tranny in stead of rebuilding that one?

Jonathan, Great that there is light at the end of the tunnel, regarding getting master degree, I've been given the impression that most teachers can start with a bachelors degree, but a masters is almost required down the road. I wish you well going forward.

Roady, Like your pictures, everything looks better cleaned up, I easy to tell you have been working hard at cleaning up, nice looking tractor & bush hog, & I like that black & white paint also.

PW, Good that your mouth is healing up, & good that you could sing in the choir for Christmas services. I hope healing continues to go well for you.

Alex, Great that the fellow that just left, wants to be friends on face book, to bad about your car & the transmission, but life does go on. Please do have fun on those 24 kidless hours.

Mz Rat, How close did cold front that went through the Texas & Oklahoma Panhandle come to you? I know part of it went a bit south in Texas. I took my wife to her mother's in Arkansas since I didn't buy her anything else. We hit freezing rain & then snow in western Missouri, it was a good excuse to stop for the night & let it pass. We just got back home last night just before midnight. I was tired when we left yesterday morning, but I woke right up as we headed north. Came home to 6 inches of snow, so I've busy cleaning that up, until it snows again. Later. PD

PD, it got pretty cold here for a few days and some rain but no ice or snow. Course anything under 70 is cold for me! I am a winter wuss and will be the first to admit it! We did get some rain but not much.

PD, it got pretty cold here for a few days and some rain but no ice or snow. Course anything under 70 is cold for me! I am a winter wuss and will be the first to admit it! We did get some rain but not much.

Mz Rat, My daughter lives in Texas for exactly the same reasons as you, she had her share of cold weather, the military gave her a chance to experience the warmth of the southern air, now it is her home. But on this last trip to Arkansas, it was cold there also, but warmed up into 50s as we left, it was almost 40 here yesterday, & we already have had our high of 20 this morning, & going down to -8 tonight. Not Ideal but I've learned to accept it & dress for it. If the sun is out, even -0 can be comfortable if there is no wind. Good thing we all like something different, or we would be very dull people. PD

Mz Rat, they are saying $2500 for a rebuild of my tranny, and that's cheaper than getting one that's already been rebuilt, here at least. I should get the official word today, so I will know more then. I must have been Hitler in a former life that karma would get me with a transmission on Christmas day. :(

C, formerly kid 5 went home to upstate NY for Thanksgiving. When he came back, he said he only returned as he knew he was going home again for Christmas. He went back there on the 20th, and he sent me a few photos and texts - but today I have been texting about his return bus and got no response. He came to me as a runaway trying to get back to upstate NY, and I predict that he won't be on that bus tomorrow. His stupid judge thought he ran away because he wanted to be with his family - well yes, of course. I am betting my day will be spent with the police as he hasn't come home. It would be nice to be wrong, but we will see.

Gawd, that was bleak! In other news the kids had a great Christmas, and were just a joy that day, they loved everything, and the things they didn't love, they have since traded out with each other - but pretended to love them while opening them. LOL.

Brad and I had our night alone last night, it was great. Dinner was more expensive than it should have been, but it was also better food than I have eaten in years. It was a super fancy place, and I had wild boar. We then went onto a bar, and Brad and I went 1-1 at pool, and then the same at darts. We then lost a game with another couple for the pool table, with his shot - so I take that as I win overall.

Yesterday we mainly spent the day walking around in our underwear, because it's the little things like that which make us feel normal again. :) We had tonnes of fun.

Alex, I hope your formerly kid 5 didn't run away, my daughter's youngest foster son came to them as a possible runaway, & he did once, but hasn't since. He's the one that came with them for our early Christmas, that I really liked, so he is content with where he is now, but who knows what he has been through. Glad you & Brad got to have a night out, & had a good time, some R&R does wonders for the soul.

It's cold here this AM my truck barely started, truck is 6 years old, so no doubt battery is getting weak, & I'm not ready to spend the money to replace it, but don't have a choice. Such is life. PD

Oh, Alex, I hope you are wrong about C! But in reality you are probably not. I wish you luck with your car! Seems expensive to me but you do what you have to! Having no wheels is the pits!

Isn't it amazing how much better able to deal with kids is after you have had a few hours with out them!

PD, do vehicles ever wait till you are ready to break? Mine never do! If fact they usually pick the worst time to die!

Mz Rat, to answer your question, NO. I've learned to expect the unexpected, a new battery installed is just over a $100.00, but parting with money when things don't seem broken yet is hard for me. But age is suppose to bring wisdom, I guess I'm not using mine. PD