Roadyy

That Talk Thread

PW,

You take awesome pictures, but then you had a good subject to work with, The Great Out Doors, is hard to beat. My wife was impressed with the pictures.

Roady, I don't know if it will work or not, might have to make the hole a bit bigger, just knew if I was going to put out loose salt, I had to try to keep the rain out. We'll see if it does. Been trying reorganize things & make things a bit neater in both my barn & shelter I keep my tractor in. Been a different year for me so far, I haven't fed my horses hay in over two weeks, never had as much grass as I have at the moment, we'll see how long this does last. PD

I agree with PD, such an amazing canvas to paint those beautiful pictures on.

Post a pic of the design if it works as I'd like to try it for my boys. I usually add loose salt to their feed and there is a left over salt block and mineral block in one of the stalls left by the owner. I only feed a flake of peanut hay twice a day then the other two get a flake every other day. They also haven't had free choice hay since moving to the new place due to more grass than they can eat down. You can see in the photos.

I just came back from a real ride, I hadn't been on my gelding in for ore than 5 minutes in over a month, so I took the time, there was a nice breeze, so that helped keep the bugs away. We went around the block & then some, the block was over 4 miles & maybe 5. Was gone a couple hours, my gelding didn't miss a beat, I was proud of him, also stopped & talked to a neighbor, that raises running quarter horses, we had a nice chat, then it was time to come home. One of the best rides I have had in a long time. PD

I sang with my choir and our orchestra all weekend. We did our annual patriotic service that we do ever year the last full weekend in June. We do it to honor all military people. We also have a special speaker every year too. It is a lot of work but lots of fun as well. See below for a few pics that one of our photographers took.

10379997_10204213540088853_7669233119908

Here you can see the choir on stage and the orchestra pit in front and below us.

1973340_10204213538848822_59503958691594

10509610_10204213543608941_4444675084466

10469139_10204213548369060_8567172478022

Hope everyone else had a great weekend!

How was everyone's fourth of July? We went to a parade in the morning, then to one house for a bbq lunch than later to another couples house for a pool party and bbq dinner before we went to the fireworks show in town. Was a long day but fun.

Yesterday at work we had a power outage for a couple hours due to a squirrel biting through wires in the nearby sub station. Made for a long hot work day. Couldn't do anything w/o power so we cleaned. Got behind on my work but now have a squeaky clean office.

Today i got to get out and go for a trail ride. It was hot down here in the foothills so we picked a trail that was very wooded so it was nice and shady and quite a bit cooler. Came back and gave my horse a good bath. I will try and post a few pics tomorrow. We came across a rhode that was at least 5 ft above my head, it was huge!

PW,

Your fourth of July sounded like it was a very full day, we went & met up with daughter & grandkids for a parade & lunch also with a garden tractor pull & light truck pull, & the fireworks. Interesting you should mention a power outage, as we just had one in the last 20 minutes, that lasted 20-30 minutes. I bought some hay recently & got that all stacked for now, but I will buy more yet just so I have some extra. The majority of weeds are out of garden right now, so it looks much better than it did, temps have been down & rainfall has been above normal, alot of farmer didn't get corn in due to wet fields. Best Wishes. PD

Great pics of the choir and can only imagine the glorious sound that rang out to heaven. Glad you had a great Fourth of July and look forward to pics of the ride.

PD, our rains are now at an occasional 10%-30% scattered shower a few times a week instead of daily 80% chances. Hope the farmers have better luck soon. I will be looking to reload my hay soon for the winter. I know I will not need as much as past winters, but will still have it on hand just the same.

My mother, her bf, my oldest daughter and her son all came down last week for a visit. I took them to the spring fed creek, the Marianna caverns, the beach and horse rides around the property. Had a great week with them before they all left Friday morning. Then we joined up with several families from church at one of the member's home for a pool party for the kids while we all pigged out on a buffet of foods and desserts. Then we all met up at one of the fireworks locations to help the youth sell glow bracelets and necklaces for their fund raiser before watching the show. A pair of sisters that are down from Ohio visiting their grandparents for the summer stayed with us Friday night and we took them out to the farm to ride the horses Saturday morning.

It was busy, but really wonderful. I was only able to get in about 5 minutes of riding in between all the others getting their ride in. lol

We had quite the weather switch here. Went from 90's and muggy yesterday to low 70's today with rain, hail and thunder storms. Glad all the hay is in and done so i don't have to worry about any getting wet. This weekend i had to do a two day ICD-10 medical coding training for work from 8:30 to 4:30 both days, plus an hour and a half commute each way to where the training was held. Makes for a long weekend doing that after working all week.

I finally got a chance to upload some pics from my last trail ride. These are from the Paradise Park area on Mt Hood. The trail is mostly uphill till it gets to a high mountain meadow. We turned around before we got to the loop through the meadow due to time.

View point overlooking the valley.

20140708_112417_zps9823a459.jpg

Checking out the view too from a little ways back.

20140708_112525_zpsc3c9af13.jpg

Best buds taking a break in the shade.

20140708_112722_zpsccfef17e.jpg

Both of these next two are ridding through huge rhode bushes that were way over our heads in most places.

DSCF0319_zps2b413c05.jpg

DSCF0320_zpsfbd14147.jpg

PW,

You take some very nice pictures, very easy on these old eyes, glad you got out for a ride, & it looks like you had a nice day for it. Thanks for sharing.

Roady, Glad you could get together with family, & they could see the sights & you also play with the horses a bit also. Summer goes so fast as we tend to pack alot into it.

Our oldest grandaughter has been staying with us & my oldest daughter's family, She stayed 3 weeks with them between two different times, alot of kids there, & it seems that is what she has enjoyed. Today we went to local parade & then went fishing & ended day playing games & cards. Later. PD

Hi All, been awhile, summer keeps me busy. PD, did you catch any fish? Looks like all have been riding plenty. I spent April, May, and June in the breeding end of the business. Twice a day, seemed like we had no breaks. Had 7 mares there at one time and others coming and going, had a hard time keeping up, only stand one stud. Worst part of the season was that I got ring worm from one of those outside mares, so keeping everything clean took up some of my time. Been checking all the horses for any on them, but so far all clean. The one I had was just above the pastern, uh, ankle.

Fires are a problem here, now, and probably will be all summer. Pretty smokey, and the sun isn't visible.

440, I wish you well getting all those mares settled, have a neighbor that raises running quarter horses, & has been trying to get his mares bred, he got two foals from 5 mares from the current stud he is using this year. He's a small stud 14-2 or 3 & don't think he'll weigh a 1000lbs, & all his mares are 15-2 to 16 hands. I hope those fires stay way from your area, I heard Washington was getting hit with alot of heat, & that only causes alot of problems.

Worked around yard today mowed part of my lawn & spread some mulch around some plants in garden, & worked on my driveway some. Alot of thing need attention & I only move so fast. PD

440 - Hope all your mares take and everything turns out well with that. Hope the fires settle down and they able to get them out in your area. We have a few going in my state too but none are close.

PD - Yard work is a lot of work but nice to enjoy the pretty yard once all done. Hope the rest of your to-do list went well.

How did everyone's weekend go? I went trail ridding yesterday with a friend at one of our favorite trails. It was a perfect day for it and the horse enjoyed playing in the river a bit too. Today had lunch with my cousin after church then got to work on weeding the garden. Only got about half it weeded plus got the green house tidied up.

Hi all, checking back in again. Hoping that you are all well and happy.

About 6 months ago, I made a new friend, and since then we have become really close - she's a wild child, larger than life person and just a riot to be around. She's started introducing me to her friends. So last week, as I am skinny, I rode her new pony for her. Everyone else is too heavy, or not confident enough, pony is a saint, but only 12+ hands. I average about 110lbs, so can ride a pony.

Anyway, they brought their trailer to me on Sat, and picked up Lucas to take him out on the trails with them. It's about a 3 hour ride, on horse designated trails. Lucas has never done trails before, new environment, with new horses - but he handled everything like a newish pro. He needed some pushing, but then did it. The biggest deal was a 3' high downed tree, that they all step over, that he wanted to jump. It would be fine to jump it, but it's super rocky, and I didn't want him landed on that. So we backed up the horse so he had no room, and after a minute or two he stepped over it. He was so excited that he was exhausted when he got back, as we jigged almost the ride ride at a walk pace in a trot gait. When they trotted up a hill, we cantered it at a walk pace.
For the first time out with new horses, he was a hero!

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx293/thesomics/10527363_10152625409368417_4850951050254434511_n.jpg

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx293/thesomics/Lucas0719141.jpg

Alex,

Nice pictures of you & friends pony out on the trail, glad your ride went well. & good to see you back here again. Best Wishes. PD

The fire close to the farm is contained, burned 11,500 acres in 24 hours, and got within 7 miles. We had a severe storm 2 days ago, rain, hail 2 in. in diameter, and winds of 70mph. Tore a trailer park apart by blowing all the trees down, trees were all about 2-3 feet in thickness. The sight of the place was pretty hard to believe. The trees simply fell straight through the trailers, as if they weren't there. One trailer had a large pine run clear through end to end. Miraculously, noone was hurt there, happened about 4:00P.M. when most were at work. All trees were yellow pines about 100 feet high. One tree fell on an occupied boat at a lake and crushed two adults, but totally missed their three kids in the back of the boat. Really unusual event here, all it did at my place was flop my barbeque over and scare the bejabbers out of my wife. Neighbors house was hit by a tree, knocked the chimney askew, and did some damage to the eaves. The power went out at the barn, pump lost it's prime, and that was an easy fix. The horses were totally unaware of anything out of the ordinary.

Cool temps helped the fire fighters on the big fire (370 sq. mi.) and they are starting to get it contained, but I don't think it's out. Expect the temps to reach 100 next week, so results there are still unpredictable. Hope everyone else is having an uneventful summer.

How did everyone's weekend go?

I went hiking with a friend yesterday, had an amazing view of the valley were we sat and relaxed for lunch. Met people from quite a few different states and a couple different countries that were in the area to hike the PCT and Mt Hood. After the hike got a few chores done around the farm and worked at weeding the garden some. Today after church my cousin and i went to a huge antique car show for a bit then joined a friend at the river to relax for the rest of the afternoon. Finished weeding the rest of garden this evening and picked my first two zucchini's for the year.Hope everyone had a great weekend and has a great week ahead!

440, Do hope the forest fires are gotten under control soon, can't imagine dealing with it, as we have few fires in our area that burn large tracts of lands.

PW, Sounds like you had a good weekend, glad you had time to enjoy nature at it's best. Our daughter is up here from Texas, so we took in a family reunion on Saturday, & yesterday we got together with our other daughter & grandchildren, 6 out of 7 grandchildren were all together. The day was long, but it was a good day. Today I'm tired, but a good tired. My wife hopes to take some pictures of her flower beds soon, only have pictures from last year now. Later PD

PW, must be hot riding down there. Too hot here to ride, fish, or play golf. Most fires have become less of a concern, however a new one started yesterday about 100 miles away.

I was watering in front of the barn, and the pump quit. We have a hand dug well about 35 feet deep, and 8 feet in diameter. The water was way down, lower than I've ever seen it. I had to prime the pump, took the plug out of the pipe, and fumbled it down the well. One of many, had a spare right there in the pump house. Primed the pump and turned it on, and the pressure tank came up to the 100 pounds and pump shut off. I decided to change the way to prime it, put together a valve system, and sat down partially in the well to install it. I had turned the pump off, but neglected to drain the tank. Did you know that a 50 gallon tank of water under 100 pounds of pressure runs back through the pump with considerable force? I thought the plug was coming out rather hard, and the last thread started to spurt, but I ignored all the signs and removed the plug. I was unable to get out of the pump house until my shoes were full of water, and it was running out of my pockets. Luckily it's hotter than blazes, but I was sure wet when I got to the house. Oh, the valve system works OK, but slow.

440, Hope all the fires in your area are soon under control, & that your pump keeps working, but I suppose it gets stressed when using alot of water. But stay cool in that hot weather. I heard that Washington has been having a heat wave for a while, that is hard on everything & everybody. Best Wishes. PD

Thanks for the kind thoughts, PD. Hope you're having a nice summer. The pump has a few safety switches in it, so it should last. If the well dries up, there's another across the road that's drilled about 200 feet, so we'll not be without, no matter what. We only use the drilled well for watering around the house, and it's rated at 40gpm or more.

Glad the fire was contained 440, and yikes what a scary storm you had.

I've been riding a lot with my new friends, and they have opened up a spot for me at their barn. I am moving Lucas there at the end of the month. My current barn owner has done nothing wrong at all, but the new barn means a lot more saddle time, and a lot more fun for us.

Also at the current barn, Lucas is getting senior feed, as he is the only younger horse there, and he's wound a bit too tight at the moment. Prancing constantly under saddle, which is not a terribly fun ride.

The new barn is full of fun personalities, and the kids love it there, as they are free to pet the horses and be themselves.

Lots of changes here with the kids. B was supposed to go home, but step dad didn't do what he should have, so he's staying.

My kid that graduated went home.

And I have 2 new ones. So I have a full house, with 5 at the moment.

440, glad the fires missed you! They can be so scarey! I learned the hard way that you have to open a faucet when draining a water heater the same way you learned about draining the pressure tank. At least your water was out of the main house!

Alex, you do great work with the kids! I am so enjoying an empty nest right now! Mine have all moved on to adult life!

Alex, Glad you are getting some saddle time in, great that you enjoy new barn, with 5 foster kids you need to get out on your own now & then. Do any of your foster kids have a interest in horses? My daughter has 4 right now, & she milks cows at night, says that is her time away from them. Her SO is good with them, & her kids keep them both busy. Our only conflict is, it makes it hard for her to come visit us with just her kids. Below is 6 of my 7 grandkids from 2 to 20, the girl on far right is my youngest daughters girl, she is 11 & 12 in Oct. the other two grandaughters are 8 & 9, youngest grandson is 2 soon to be 3 The oldest is 20 & he is often seen holding his little brother, he's even been known to change diapers at times. the other is almost 13, he's a card with a dry sense of humor. As can be seen getting 6 to pose for camera, is a challenge, we took 4 pictures, I choose this one as oldest grandaughter is smiling in this one, & that is sometimes hard to capture. Best Wishes All. PD

100_1843_zps9f173caa.jpg

440 - Hope your well and pump keep working for you, tough time of year for it to go out. Hope all the fires die down up your way too. The ones here in Oregon are better but it sounds like a few new ones may have started up south of here from the thunder storms we had roll through last night. They are expecting more storms to roll through tonight as well.

Alex - Thats cool that you have some great new ridding buddies and are able to get in a lot of ridding time. More fun when you have friends to ride with.

PD - Thats cool that you are able to enjoy time with your grandkids. I used to spend quite a bit of time with my grandparents growing up since they lived next door.

So glad it is Friday. Been a super busy week but still got to squeeze in some ridding time. My friend and i went up the mountain to escape the heat and ride some trails that had two nice lakes and a couple creeks for the horses to enjoy. We have done this one before up to the upper lake but decided to explore a side trail this time that we heard about. Got to the top of the newer trail and were rewarded with a nice new of the mountain. We rode about 9 1/2 miles total and had a great time. Made a little girls day that was up at the lake that she got to pet the horses. Her and my horse had fun splashing each other in the lake. He would splash water her way with his nose and wait for her to splash him back. They kept it up for a few min with the girl giggling and having fun, i think my horse enjoyed it too.

How is everyone doing? Hope everyone is having a great weekend so far. Today i got to get out and go hiking the gorge with my cousin and her dog. We did a shorter trail and did a total of about 5 miles today. Was a great day to get out even though the trail was a bit more crowded than usual. Took a nice nap after my hike than finished weeding the rest of the garden. I picked about 8 zucchini's today from my garden and there are quite a few more smaller ones that are not quite ready yet to pick.

PW,

Hope you have a good hike, & come back with some pictures again. Went a bit over 200 miles yesterday to meet up with some cousins & their family & his grandkids, it was said to be pig roast, but we ate chicken, all the food was very good. Had a good time, but the driving played me out. Take Care & Best Wishes. PD

PW, great pictures of your hike, very enjoyable to see them. Many years ago, I spent quite a bit of time close to Mt. Hood, and it was always a joy.

PD, great looking bunch of kids, always a pleasure to have grandkids around. Wish all mine lived closer, most of the time.

We had a 50th birthday party for my daughter here, Saturday. Had about 25 people here, and a good time. My 4 grandkids that live in the Seattle area were here for it, so it was more enjoyable.

I've spent the last couple months restoring a boat . I bought it out of a barn about 70 miles from town. Took it up to Priest Lake, Id. for a nice long ride. Everything went well, kinda impressed that we had no trouble with it. Sherrif's water patrol craft looked us over but didn't stop us, so apparently we were legal looking. The lake was pretty rough, had about a 2 foot chop, but the boat rides well. All in all, good boat. Now I'm trying to figure out why my pickup wont start. Spent the whole, 100 degree, day under and around it to no avail. Ford diesel with 90,000 miles on it, new batteries, fully charged, starter only clicks,

. I have taken the starter out twice, and had it function tested, today at a rebuilders shop. Passed with perfection, changed the starter relay, disconnected and cleaned all the ground and hot leads. I'm going to try jumping directly to the starter next, then haul it in for diagnosis at the Ford garage.

440- Hoping you were able to get your truck to the dealers! It's frustrating when a vehicle starts having problems and you can't pinpoint the cause. Your new boat sounds like a honey. Having all those nearby lakes must be a temptation! A friend of the family moved from Seattle to an area outside of Post Falls. Her husband spends all of his free time fishing at all the lakes around Priest Lake and lake Coeur d'Alene.

I had a Chevy that would die at stop signs. It was recalled and they were supposed to exchange the computer brain for one that had more memory due to it's sports suspension system. Had to have a new brain installed every 3-6 months by the local dealer. I learned how to do a very fast compression start, Thank God we live in the foothills and it died across from a mix auto dealership and a mechanic who read recall lists!

We've had a mixed bag of high heat (90s-108), sprinkles, overcast days, high humidity, thunder/hail storms, fires triggered by dry lightening storms (& idiots). People that I know lost everything in the Sand fire. I'm part of a large animal rescue group and this year was the first time that they were mobilized in our county. Some of my horse club members were housing pets and livestock for others who were evacuated. All of this monsoon weather being spun up from central America by the el nino change in the Pacific. Has given us some very weird weather and too many fires along the west coast.

How is everyone been doing? Summer went by way to fast, so not ready for fall and for our rainy weather to come back yet. Still getting lots of nice weather yet here though.

I am heading out tomorrow for a camping trip for four days with my friend and our horses. We were going to central Oregon but changed plans and decided to camp a little closer at a camp that we haven't been to yet. We are going to be staying at Joe Graham corrals on the south side of Mt Hood. I am packed and almost ready to hit the road in the morning. Sooo looking forward to it!

Hope everyone else is having a great week so far.