Melinda Berry

Wire Snaffle Bit

Hi i was riding a friends horse the other day and they used a wire snaffle bit on him. when i got on him he did not listen to me what i was trying to tell him what to do. when i was riding him around and stoping him he would fight the bit like it was to strong for him. i've had horses before i've nerver used a wire snaffle bit i could tell that the horses didn't like and plus he has what you call a soft mouth. is another bit that they could use on him instead of that one. idk how i was say to them lets try a different bit? he is a very nice horse tho. any hint on what to do.

It might be because you are new to him. The horse might offer his service peacefully only to those people who are familiar to them. This might be a reason. But if you are habitual to horse riding, I hope you will tackle it very soon.

Soft mouth and un educated mouth are two different things.\

If this horse is fighting a twisted wire snaffle, he has no idea as how to give to abit, and needs to be put back in a plain smooth snaffle and ridden with the right amount of legs.versus hands, to get him softy in his entire body. If ahorse is soft in the body, he will be soft in the face.

Also, how is this horse being ridden? Strong contact, mainly off of hands, versus 80 % legs to hands?

A twisted wire, used correctly, western , is used short term on a horse that has gotten a bit heavy in a plain snaffle, which means a horse that slightly leans on a bit, not one that fights a bit and does not listen.

Have teeth don eon the horse, go back to a plain snaffle (Meaning a true snaffle, not a jointed mouth curb ) and fix holes in training

A horse that has a soft mouth, versus an un educated mouth, rides mainly off of seat and legs, and never leans on the bit

No bit will fix holes in basic training

Smilie's right.

It sounds like this horse has a big hole in it's training that the owners are trying to fix with a harsh bit.

This horse may never have been trained correctly or heavy-handed/unbalanced riders taught him the only way to get relief was to pull out his own slack in the reins or both. The horse needs some help.

Before you could purchase twisted wire bits at every tack store; people would just keep "up grading" to gag or spade bits (often with tie downs) to "fix the problem."

Those were the old days and people think that wire bits are "okay" because their "more humane." Pain & damage in the hands of an idiot is still pain & damage.

A local horse rescue had a mare with an amputated tongue. Her owner bought a double twisted wire snaffle and placed it so that the tongue was between the wires. The owner didn't have any idea what a "balanced seat" meant and went on a trail ride in the local hills.