Sign in to follow this  
eventer170

About 2-3 Years From Now?

Okay all! I'm 14 all english rider, I have trained a 2 year old pony(now a 5 year old eventing pony for my little friend, 6 year old, and he is 11 hands) he had no prior training and he is beast. I want to look into a foal(yes from my previous forums your all like NOO! but let me finish!) so my aunt and my trainer are willing to help and also parelli and clinton anderson ;)! (you know what I mean!) Sooooo, The breed is up to me! this will be a couple years from now! But I thought I would ask this now to give my self time to think! I want a horse for eventing. I lovvveee Thoroughbreds but they are so common and so high strung, and I know with the right training they can be amazing! but not for me:( and I dont want a quarter horse appendix quarter horse. YEP IM BEING PICKY!! I know its not about the breed as much temperment and docilety but, I am going to not 100% rule them out but I want to see what anyone of you can think of!!

Thank you all so much!!!

Photo of CJ the pony I have trained!!

post-63381-0-89600800-1379208195_thumb.jpg

I'd look into a warmblood of some sort, either Dutch, Hanoverian, Trakhener, or something similar.

Are you interested in ponies or horses?

Personally, I would look into TB/Welsh crosses. Aim for a refined, registered prospect that will mature to about 14 hands. With the right training and attitude these ponies are alot of fun and have good resale value to parents and trainers looking for something their kids can move up on.

i have a couple of thoughts on this, so take them or leave them. i've been around plenty of young people with horse ambitions, and i've seen priorities change pretty drastically between the ages of 14-18. life happens, they get interested in relationships, maybe they go off to college, time and money gets tight. like i said, life happens and the horse falls by the wayside.

exactly what is your goal for this foal? resale after foundation training? plenty of nice *finished* horses out there for not all that much money due to the economy, show barns going bust, people not able to pay their bills. and to what extent are your aunt and trainer talking about "support"? financial and otherwise? the least amount of money you will put out for a horse is the purchase price. after that comes, board, vet, farrier, dentist, and then your training costs.

i find your enthusiasm very nice. just wonder if it's maybe 10 years too soon?

having said all of that i would suggest you research the history of eventing success stories at all levels. the germans prefer trakehners due to the tb blood, and the fact that it tends to be a breed that "can take a licking and come back kicking", or other lighter WB varieties.

Some very good points by Nick, and also scenarios that I have seen

My niece was very into horses at your age. She came out with my brother and we took them for a ride for two weeks in the mountains. When they returned to Ontario, Danny worked very hard helping at a barn and my brother bought her a horse. She took lessons, went to a few jumping events and then she went away to Univeristy

Her horse was passed down to her sister.

Danny took languages, and then went to University for a few years in Germany, to round out her University language program

Life then happened. She met a guy, got married, and now is helping him through med school. She also has a baby. Horses are long in the past, and my brother refused to buy her sister a horse, after Danny's horse died of old age. Jas is still into horses, working at a dressage barn, when not at her 'real' job. She also just now has a serious relationship, so will see if she sticks with the horses!

Maybe you will never out grow horses, same as me, but I had to put horses on hold while I got an education, and could then afford to support my horse interests

The dream of making money, training horses, is a very old one, and not one you can bank on. Those that make money with horses often have money to throw at those horses from another business.

The few who have become successful, making money off of the horses themselves, have paid their dues, spending years learning, establishing a name for themselves, to both attract the buyers and the right horses

The wayside is littered with those that thought all they had to do was buy some popular bloodlines and they would make money with horses. Sale barns are often filled with the results of some of these well bred prospects, dumped by their owners after reality set in-ie the true costs involved!

... life happens and the horse falls by the wayside.

exactly what is your goal for this foal? resale after foundation training? plenty of nice *finished* horses out there for not all that much money due to the economy, show barns going bust, people not able to pay their bills. and to what extent are your aunt and trainer talking about "support"? financial and otherwise? the least amount of money you will put out for a horse is the purchase price. after that comes, board, vet, farrier, dentist, and then your training costs.

i find your enthusiasm very nice. just wonder if it's maybe 10 years too soon?...

X2

There's a lot of good grade/stock horses available for cheap or free for you to practice on and hone your skills before going all in on starting a $$$ pedigree show pony from scratch. I've met a lot of talented and enthusiastic young riders over the years. But there's still much more for you to learn. And things you may have some trouble with now will vanish with maturity and experience. If your dreams and desires are still the same when you get to 18-24 I'd say that would be a better time to invest in a dream horse you can make a champion. You can still have a lot of fun, learn a lot more and help other newer riders and horses along the way between now and then. ~FH

I was one who always said "Love me, love my horse." I have been horse-crazy since toddlerhood. I assure you, things happen; they did for me, so you can never say 'never' when you are your age, even if you cannot foresee it. Foresight is not typically a gift given to the young, and probably for good reason.

Don't temper your enthusiasm, but consider planning for multiple options rather than getting set on ONE goal.

That said, I cannot offer you insight into eventing prospects due to my complete lack of any experience. Apply yourself with vigor, enjoy what you have, dream about the future...nothing wrong with that, as long as you realize dreams can change in the blink of an eye.

I am partial to Caspian Horses and Caspian crosses. The Caspian is so gentle and so, so smart. But they are small, topping out at 12.2 hh. Crossed with anything they are awesome.