Peggy Jo

Identify This Saddle

I have been trying to figure out who made the saddle that has been in my family for about 40 years. It is in pretty good condition, besides a bit of the fleece, that was chewed by mice in the shed a couple years ago. It is complete and usable. I think it was a JC Higgins, but there are no marks. It is a solidly made saddle and the tooling is beautiful. Unfortunately I have to sell it, and don't know what it's worth. The numbers on it are 7 then 3996. The only saddles I have found where there is leather instead of rivets, is JC HIggins. Can anyone tell me the age, and what I should ask for it? Trying again to add a picture, I guess my pictures were too big. I should add it has a 15" seat, and is actually darker then it appears in the picture, as the flash brightened it up.

post-64471-0-61257500-1380318475_thumb.jpg

post-64471-0-90814100-1380397267_thumb.jpg

Edited by Peggy Jo

can't help you with the maker, but i can tell you as a one-time importer of finely crafted custom western saddles to germany that the workmanship looks excellent. and for a saddle of 40 years in remarkably good condition.

looking at the seat, the fork and fenders i'm guessing it's a barrel racer, and your market is going to be limited to small women or kids. price? i don't know what the market in the u.s. is like right now in terms of what you can reasonably ask.

good luck.

Thanks Nick for the reply. This isn't really a good kid's saddle. It is heavy, and large. In fact when I had my father ship me the saddle, I intended to use it. My horse was 16 hands tall, and I could barely lift the saddle over his back. So basically it was not used that much over the 40 years. I kept it clean, oiled and polished...but otherwise it has been just sitting. It is a very solid saddle.

Hey! I did a little research but only came up with this REG. BRAND - CIRCLE Y - YOAKUM TEXAS - and the Number: 3996-7. It may or may not be a 1960's Circle Y, but the numbers match

Well, I don't think that a picture may help us to identify the saddle. But you have to try it in your local market. Even then you may put the picture here, I will try to identify it for you.

I too am looking to identify 2 saddles I have found the maker to be JC Higgins. I have discovered that the brand was the house brand for Sears and Roebuck from 1908 until 1935 at which time the company was then made under the name of Bona Allen and post 1935 the BA was stamped on the rivets making the saddle date I am assuming is before 1935. I have pictures available. Please any help or information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you ~Cat~

Edited by catherine1965