Sign in to follow this  
nick

Riding With A Neck Ring

linda tellington jones gave a clinic at our barn last week in which i participated. i explained to her that i seem to have stiffness issues in my left shoulder and shoulder blade, and i was having trouble encouraging the horse to bend and open up his ribs (because i'm not opening mine) when we circle in that direction. that in fact my left shoulder seemed to have *a life of it's own* and had a tendency to misbehave .

she promptly gave me a neck ring (sort of a stiff adjustable rope ring that goes over the horse's head) and after a couple of rounds of riding with just that (walk, trot, canter, upward and downward transitions) a lot of posture issues in me (and the horse) seemed to work themselves out. the thing is so stiff that my shoulders sorted themselves out, because otherwise the horse would tend to fall in with the outside shoulder, and the other great thing is that it keeps your hands out of your lap otherwise the horse slows down or just stops. i was really surprised at how quickly i changed and how painless it was LOL!

i've had conversations with people here who have (because of varioius reasons) similar issues and just wanted to mention it. i'm riding with this thing for the next two weeks (slalom lines, clover leaves, bow ties--lots and lots of patterns) to reprogram "posture control central' before i go back to using a bridle and reins.

Edited by nick

That sounds like an interesting technique. Maybe I could use something like that to keep my students from throwing the hands all over the place -- I've threatened them that I might use handcuffs on them. Can you post a picture?

uhmm i'm technically challenged (last person on the planet who doesn't know how), but if you want to go to this website you should be able to see a photo

www.tteamshop.de.

it wasn't particularly expensive (euros 21,--around u.s.$27), fully adjustable regarding diameter, seems super durable and it has been an incredibly efficient and natural way to correct my posture and help my hands. i ditched my bridle after 5 minutes, but i have a very flexible horse who no matter what i throw his way, and no matter how wierd, says "okay", and i trust him and linda knew that. she was careful about how she introduced the concept and its use depending on the situation and didn't let everybody do that, so as an instructor you know you need to pay attention to the mental and emotional state of your students. if they tense up because of control issues it might go south. you can always combine bridle with completely loose reins with the ring so that they feel they have a *safety net*.

i am delighted with this thing. it doesn't feel *artificial*, my whole *axis* has improved dramatically over just the last 4 days and it doesn't feel difficult!!

Edited by nick

forgot to add that its all in german but just click on

"arbeitsmittel pferde" (top item) and it's called a *halsring* made by brockman (manufacturer that makes all kind of rope products).

uhmm i'm technically challenged (last person on the planet who doesn't know how), but if you want to go to this website you should be able to see a photo

www.tteamshop.de.

it wasn't particularly expensive (euros 21,--around u.s.$27), fully adjustable regarding diameter, seems super durable and it has been an incredibly efficient and natural way to correct my posture and help my hands. i ditched my bridle after 5 minutes, but i have a very flexible horse who no matter what i throw his way, and no matter how wierd, says "okay", and i trust him and linda knew that. she was careful about how she introduced the concept and its use depending on the situation and didn't let everybody do that, so as an instructor you know you need to pay attention to the mental and emotional state of your students. if they tense up because of control issues it might go south. you can always combine bridle with completely loose reins with the ring so that they feel they have a *safety net*.

i am delighted with this thing. it doesn't feel *artificial*, my whole *axis* has improved dramatically over just the last 4 days and it doesn't feel difficult!!

It sounds like it might be best to attend one of the clinics and found out how to use it first. I'm always interested in learning new teaching techniques.

If you've got any roping buddies, or any tack/farm supply stores that sell used heading/heeling ropes, I've seen neck ropes made from those (it's the same waxed/rosin-ed rope) . They are quite fun/useful to use! We had a few at college that we used to fix the same kind of rider problems :)

Okay lady, you know my sneaky right shoulder is begging you to find a way to get a picture of it being used!

umm, who did you say you are :P ?