devinaskyestone

Horse/rider Ratio

Hi everyone!

If you remember me from the tall boots question, I ended up buying some Ariat challenge boots in the short height and they fit like custom ☺️

Anyway, I had a quick question thats been killing me. I am seriously looking at buying a horse for the rest of my junior career. He is 16.2, and pretty averagely built, with a small hunter-esque neck. I am 5'3"-5'4" and fit and thin but not the slender type you often see in this sport. I have been told by many people that I look perfect on him, but I also see lots of girls (who tend to be small) riding larger horses, which makes me a little nervous. I dont think I'm growing much, but its a possibility. Anyone, whats your experience with horse to rider size ratio?

P.s. I previously rode a 17.3-18.0 warmblood so I am used to that 😂

If anyone asks I have lots of pictures I could upload, I just need to get toy computer!

Thanks so much everyone:)

If you ride him well, are not too big for him, and are confident on him, who gives a rip about how you "look" on him? Trends shmends.... get the horse. Lol. I don't get this thing with tiny girls riding big horses anyway. No THANK you, I like my leg to mean something to the horse.

I'm a 6'3", 200lb male. I look big on everything. I school 15hh ex-polo ponies that now play jumper all the way up to the performance hunters and big eq horses for the trainer I worked with this summer. I look big on everything! Like Jenna said, if you like the horse and you guys work well together just do it!

Look at Margie Ingle that is a grand prix jumper, she is about your height and rides 17 hand horses. You can tell she is short, but so what, she does good on them too. I would not worry looking too small on them plenty of people out there that are different size with the horse. What counts is how you 2 get along and work together.

Hope this helps.

Have a GREAT week.

Update!

I did end up buying him, and I think it was really a great choice. Enjoy some of my favorites from our first ever trip in the modified juniors. Large Junior Hunters 15U here we come:)

Only 2 good pictures, but I think they're pretty good.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.657849407593703.1073741825.100001059496771&type=1&l=1350102e03

Definitely not too big for him. :) He's just a smaller, more refined type. Looks really athletic and like he has a good mind. I think you'll have some good luck with him! Keep us updated with your progression...it's dead around here and we could all use some excitement haha.