SpottedLady09

Measuring Horses For Their Size? How?

My new mare is a POA and the horses I got to ride when I was a kid/teen, were full size horses. So the few things I've hung onto over the years are "large" size I guess? The old green rope halter I have is about an inch, maybe 2" too big all over. Would it be a safe bet to buy a medium sized flat halter and trust that it'd fit? And what size is "Cobb"? How do I measure her for a blanket? I've never done that, and it's wishful thinking mostly, but if I were to find a good deal on a blanket for her, I'd like to know what size to buy. Is there a rule of thumb for measuring? Is it true you can use a regular measure tape and a math formula to get a rough weight estimate??

Thank you folks :-)

Cob is generally for ponies with large heads, or horses with small heads. Do you know how tall your POA is? It will help us help you if you can share that info.

For measuring for a blanket, start in the middle of your horses chest and measure around the widest part of their shoulder, back to the point of rump next to the tail. I use a piece of twine and tie the knots at the start and end point, and then measure the twine with the tape measure, since I always forget to bring the tailor's measuring tape with me.

There is a rough formula for calculating weight. But this site will do the math for you, if you'd like.

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/31852/adult-horse-weight-calculator

Her previous owner said she's about 14.2 and 800lbs. She seems pretty chunky, but maybe my perception of weight on a horse is way off. I need to get a photobucket account set up so I can post a picture of her, I keep putting it off and forgetting. :-/