Sign in to follow this  
myriamw

Transferring From Western To English

I started jumping my QH and I've always been a western rider, so since I cant jump my horse with a roping saddle. I need to buy an English saddle... My roping saddle is full QH barred and has a 6 3/4 gullet, which fits my 1000 pound QH. But what size would she be for an English saddle??? Also my 16 inch seat fits me comfortably, is the seat size the same with English as it is Western??

a jumping saddle seat will be flatter than a roping saddle seat, so if a 16 roper fits you comfortably you should be okay with a 16-16 1/2 jumper. how tall are you, what do you weigh and how long is your inseam? this will also influence what size seat you get, because don't forget the flaps will be a lot further forward than the fenders you're accustomed to, and your stirrup length a lot shorter.

as far as gullet size you need to consult whatever manufacturer you go to. since you're new at this i like "Wintec" for those who are making a semi-trainsition. i personally don't have one but know people who do, and i like the price and the fit for both horse and human. good luck and have fun!

a jumping saddle seat will be flatter than a roping saddle seat, so if a 16 roper fits you comfortably you should be okay with a 16-16 1/2 jumper. how tall are you, what do you weigh and how long is your inseam? this will also influence what size seat you get, because don't forget the flaps will be a lot further forward than the fenders you're accustomed to, and your stirrup length a lot shorter.

as far as gullet size you need to consult whatever manufacturer you go to. since you're new at this i like "Wintec" for those who are making a semi-trainsition. i personally don't have one but know people who do, and i like the price and the fit for both horse and human. good luck and have fun!

I'm almost 5'4 and I weigh 135 pounds, I fit a 14 1/2 western. but I like a western saddle to be a bit bigger so I have room.

For your height/weight a 16.5 would probably be right - unless you have some abnormally long femurs. lol.

I am a huge fan of the Wintec Close Contact - but most people either love or hate the wintec right away...so if you can try one out please do!