Sign in to follow this  
OttosMom

Cinch Types

Hi All

I plan to buy a 100% mohair cinch, but in reading some forums came up with a question (which may be a dumb one). Since roper cinches distribute the pressure over a larger area, which sounds more comfortable for the horse, is there any reason not to just use one for the purpose of trail riding, instead of a straight cinch? I'd appreciate any feedback. TIA.

Lots of folks use their mohair, or rope type cinch for traols. No reason not to, unless you get galls.

All the Mohair Cinches that I grew up using (and still own), are wider than the narrow ones that I've seen for sale. One place advertised the wider ones as "Vaquero" style cinches. I think mine are 25 strands?

The one thing I've noticed about the Roper styles is they have have a band of nylon webbing stitched over the center of the cinch where the rings for the breast collar and back cinch attach. For me, that would be a big No for a trail cinch. I love mohair because it is soft, and most importantly, it moves and flexes with the body of the horse. To me, that nylon strip would cancel out why I have mohair.

I know this is from last year but haven't been on in a long time. IMO it is the same as wearing a bra. I prefer the wider ones for comfort. The narrow ones seem to always dig into me and are uncomfortable. :happy0203:

I have always used roper style cinches, both for ranch work and trails. The biggest part of the time ranch work riding is not any different than trail riding as you are just going from one location to another, even when moving cows, but you like to have a roper style cinch for the occasions when you do rope. I have also always preferred mohair although do like the Alpaca cinches too. Have never seen nylon on the mid-strap where the rings for the breast collar and back cinch go, although that only means I have not seen it, not that it isn't used, as mine have always had a leather strap sewed in there. This has never posed a problem of any sort. The back cinch on my big saddle is also a very wide leather one, even wider than the mohair front cinch. .

I have tried using Mohair Cinches but my mare gets really really bad sores when i do so I use the roper style neoprene girths

I have the opposite problem, I bought an expensive neoprene girth that was advertised as allowing the skin to breathe. My horse was very sweaty and sore when we stopped for lunch. I still had my Mohair in my saddlebag & switched it out and she was fine when we got back home.

I ride in hilly areas with dry heat so that might have been the reason why it didn't work for my horse.

Could your horse have an allergy problem to the Mohair or the cleaner you use to wash it?

I swish mine in cool water, lay it flat to dry and inspect every inch each time I use it.

I have always used roper style cinches, both for ranch work and trails. The biggest part of the time ranch work riding is not any different than trail riding as you are just going from one location to another, even when moving cows, but you like to have a roper style cinch for the occasions when you do rope. I have also always preferred mohair although do like the Alpaca cinches too. Have never seen nylon on the mid-strap where the rings for the breast collar and back cinch go, although that only means I have not seen it, not that it isn't used, as mine have always had a leather strap sewed in there. This has never posed a problem of any sort. The back cinch on my big saddle is also a very wide leather one, even wider than the mohair front cinch. .

My old ones have leather straps too.

I love looking at tack and was very surprised to see nylon sewn on mohair.

I have the opposite problem, I bought an expensive neoprene girth that was advertised as allowing the skin to breathe. My horse was very sweaty and sore when we stopped for lunch. I still had my Mohair in my saddlebag & switched it out and she was fine when we got back home.

I ride in hilly areas with dry heat so that might have been the reason why it didn't work for my horse.

Could your horse have an allergy problem to the Mohair or the cleaner you use to wash it?

I swish mine in cool water, lay it flat to dry and inspect every inch each time I use it.

It could be the dry heat v are humid heat..Not sure if she is allergic to the cleaner might be. I bought the Mohair girth bran new went and used it that nigth and the strings just cut right into her like knifes same thing with reg string girths... not really sure if its just her skin but i cant use them only neoprene.

Our cinches are all mohair or alpaca. Mules have notoriously thin skin and can gall easily if heat or moisture is trapped. Neoprene was a no go!

I like the roper cinches for all the reasons mentioned and buy them when I find them in mohair or alpaca and in the length that I need. I do use a lot of regular width cinches though and rarely have any problem. We don't rope but we trail ride, round up and sort cattle and do a little gaming here and there on horses and mules.

I hate galling one. Hat, hate, hate it. I feel so guilty when it happens.