Sign in to follow this  
Chris35

New To Thoroughbreds

I'm working on a thoroughbred farm and have to catch the ye as elongated for training and have a couple that are difficult, and to your off I am a little nervous around these guys, so what do you recommend on catching them, they run or fight me every day.

A bucket of grain goes a long way... if you don't want to use bribery, make sure you're not walking "at" them. I find if you soften your stance and pretend you're just walking by and then just happen to stop for a pat, it works a lot better than going straight for them with the clip in your hand. That can be misinterpreted as you "driving" them away.

Welcome to the boards and good luck :smilie:

Penny, I don't know about hiding the halter and lead behind your back. If that works for you, great. But my horses always seem to know what I have in mind, whether the halter is hidden or not. I am sure it's the way I'm walking, my body language. They know.

are they all kept together or separate? If they are kept together (in a large group) i DO NOT recommend using grain or treats, that can become very dangerous very FAST.

What i do when i go to get a difficult horse who likes to make you chase them i hide the halter and lead behind my back and talk to them while you walk up to them and then put that lead around there neck and keep in the crook of your elbow so if they try to walk off you can grab them get that halter on and if they try and walk off without you you HAVE TO GET AFTER THEM. don't let them get away with anything. Horses can tell if you are nervous. so you have to make yourself big.

Also when they fight you, i know a lot of people will probably freak out at this but depending on what they do, smack them on the chest with the rope make them back up and just get in their face.

this is a GREAT way to get you hurt and produce a distrustful horse with a bunch of horses that are high energy anyway. hide the halter? "don't trust me!"

chris35, what are they paying you for this hazardous job? sounds like either the horses are enjoying running you around, you have no experience, or they have no manners.

i'd talk to your boss first about employment conditions and disability insurance before i would start "smacking" anybody around.

Smacking tapping its all the same. IT DOES NOT MAKE DISTRUSTFUL HORSES! They are large animals what are you going to do? They make lead ropes for that, so it in no way is going to make your horse distrustful. It gets there attention, my horse is in no way distrustful or dangerous. you can get hurt by a horse doing anything. with the "smacing" them with the rope on the Thick part of the chest they will back away from you it shows them this is my space get out. my horse and all horses i lead, even this one 4yr old who used to be very pushy and nipped and tried to walk in front of you and take off and dance around now leads perfect with or with out lead rope.

Penny, I'm not being critical, just want to pass along a hint. Don't lead your horse without a lead rope, if what you are doing is leading him with your hand in his halter. I've owned horses my entire (long) life and last year I learned this the hard way. The horse became frightened, spun around and twisted my hand into the halter. All the skin was scraped from the back of my hand. It wasn't pleasant and took a long time to heal up. I wished someone had taught me that when I was your age.

Smacking tapping its all the same. IT DOES NOT MAKE DISTRUSTFUL HORSES! They are large animals what are you going to do? They make lead ropes for that, so it in no way is going to make your horse distrustful. It gets there attention, my horse is in no way distrustful or dangerous. you can get hurt by a horse doing anything. with the "smacing" them with the rope on the Thick part of the chest they will back away from you it shows them this is my space get out. my horse and all horses i lead, even this one 4yr old who used to be very pushy and nipped and tried to walk in front of you and take off and dance around now leads perfect with or with out lead rope.

disciplining is one thing, and yes you have every right to defend yourself. HIDING THE HALTER BEHIND YOUR BACK and being "sneaky" is what gets you a distrustful horse that you're trying to catch, because at the end of the day if you manage to snag him you're in effect sending the message *gotcha* making the whole business that much more difficult the next time. tbs love playing "catch me if you can", and i certainly wouldn't encourage that.