Sign in to follow this  
OttosMom

Cinch Question

Hi All

I plan to buy a 100% mohair cinch, but in reading some forums came up with a question (which may be a dumb one). Since roper cinches distribute the pressure over a larger area, which sounds more comfortable for the horse, is there any reason not to just use one for the purpose of trail riding, instead of a straight cinch? I'd appreciate any feedback. TIA.

Nope, use what works best for you and your horse so long as it holds the saddle on. I use a felt smartcinch and like it. It started out as a straight cinch, but it has shaped a bit around his legs with use and I would probably buy a shaped version next time I'm in need of one, but he seems to have no complaints about this one and it holds the saddle on.

I convert all my western saddles over to a center fire rigging using a 22 inch dressage girth with elastics and a large washable liner. I was this liner regularly and have a couple ready to go.

I don't like the rope girths. I feel they can pinch. I don't like the forward girthing of any western saddle since it pulls down right under the horn. I have my saddles rigged to a center girth positions pulling down equally front and rear.

2j43luf.jpg

Edited by DR650