BugattiPaint

Cleaning Sheath In Cold Weather?!

So my gelding's sheath stinks! I looked down and felt his sheath, and his willy is crusty, dark and smelly. I do not know if he has had his sheath cleaned before, and I don't know how he'll react. I can touch his sheath fine, but I'm worried that because it's getting so cold out that the water on his willy will make him against having his sheath handled. As would the soap, etc.

I have cleaned sheaths before!

I'm going back out tomorrow and I don't have any sheath soap but I have some soft, mild soap.

Any tips to make this a less than unpleasant experience?

Forget the cold water and get a big bottle of aloevera gel. It will clean him up pretty well, and you don't need to rinse it. AND, you can keep it in the house to warm it up a bit.

Great tip, Oz, I never thought of using Aloe Vera gel . My gelding seems to need his cleaned every couple of months and, I was to the point, I was going to take a bucket of warm water out there, you've saved me a lot of time and work!

Ive been using KY jelly for years. The day before I glove up and put some ky up there and leave it sit, no rinsing needed. Next day I glove up with a little more KY jelly and everything is losened from the KY the day before, effortless sheath cleaning.

I have never heard of cleaning horses there before!! Hosing them down or washing them and just spraying there I've heard and seen! But my gelding is very young (4) and I don't think he's ever had his sheath cleaned and I don't how he will react. He's quiet when being groomed and that but how do I check to see if he's a bit touchy when I try to clean him and how should I clean him? :D

start by getting yourself a good pair of surgical gloves to cut down on the *eewww* factor and promote hygiene, and then give your vet a call and sees what he recommends for this weather.

start by getting yourself a good pair of surgical gloves to cut down on the *eewww* factor and promote hygiene, and then give your vet a call and sees what he recommends for this weather.

Okay thanks but what do you mean cut down on the ewww factor?! I'm not "ewwwed" out easily lol!! Sorry that's not a real word haha.

Your hand will be purple and covered in waxy, smelly, smega that doesnt come off skin to easy... which means you hand will stink for days... so you should wear gloves.. :)

On that note, in the summer when I'm doing a full bath I sill just cut my nails and go in naked handed... but only if im doing a full bath...

How do I start to clean it? I mean he was never cleaned...by hand there so would he be kicky or..?!! How do I check? Do I just grab it and see what happens? I know that's not a safe option at all!!!

How do I start to clean it? I mean he was never cleaned...by hand there so would he be kicky or..?!! How do I check? Do I just grab it and see what happens? I know that's not a safe option at all!!!

Take it gradually, but don't surprise him. Neither do you want to be so careful and cautious that he begins to think there is something to worry about. Start by rubbing his belly all over, see how he reacts. Move on to his inner thighs, and work your way forward to the opening to his sheath.

If he shows any sign of violent protection it is better to have a vet sedate and clean him than to get injured in the process.

Take it gradually, but don't surprise him. Neither do you want to be so careful and cautious that he begins to think there is something to worry about. Start by rubbing his belly all over, see how he reacts. Move on to his inner thighs, and work your way forward to the opening to his sheath.

If he shows any sign of violent protection it is better to have a vet sedate and clean him than to get injured in the process.

OK thanks for the advice :smilie: He's generally quiet but since I've never done this I will have to treat the situation differently!! So I...clean it with a sponge or...?! :smilie: And warm water...soapy?

Here is something I read on HC a looong time ago. I have never owned a gelding long enough to have to clean a sheath, but kept it anyway because it is not only good instruction but hilarious to boot! It is long, but worth the read:

THE CLEANING PROCESS... WRITTEN BY: Patricia Harris [1998]
1.) Check to make sure there are no prospective boyfriends, elderly neighbors, or Brownie troops with a line of sight to the proceedings. Though of course they're probably going to show up unexpectedly ANYWAY once you're in the middle of things. Prepare a good explanation.
2.) Trim your fingernails short. Assemble horse, hose, and your sense of humor (plus, ideally, Excalibur cleanser and perhaps thin rubber gloves).
3.) Use hose (or damp sponge) to get the sheath and its inhabitant wet. Uh, that is, do this in a *civilized* fashion with due warning to the horse; he is apt to take offense if an icy-cold hose blasts unexpectedly into his personal regions ;-)
4.) Now introduce your horse to Mr Hand . What I find safest is to stand facing the horse's head, with my shoulder and hip snugly against the horse's thigh and hip so that if he makes any suspicious move such as raising his leg, I can feel it right away and am in any case pressed so close that all he can do is shove, not really kick. The horse should be held by an assistant or by your free hand, NOT tied fast to a post or to crossties. He may shift around a good bit if he's not happy with Mr Hand's antics, but don't be put off by that; as long as you are patient and gradual, and stick close to his side, he'll get over it. Remember that it would be most unladylike of you to simply make a direct grab for your horse's Part. Give the horse a clue about what's on the program. Rest your hand against his belly, and then slide it back til you are entering The Home of the Actual Private Part. When you reach this first region of your destination, lube him up good with Excalibur or whatever you're using. If the outer part of his sheath is really grungy you will feel little clods and nubblies of smegma peeling off as you grope around in there. Patiently and gently expedite their removal.
5.) Thus far, you have probably only been in the outer part of the sheath. The Part Itself, you'll have noticed, is strangely absent. That's because it has retired shyly to its inner chambers. Roll up them thar sleeves and follow in after it ;-)
6.) As you and Mr Hand wend your way deeper into the sheath, you will encounter what feels like a small portal that opens up into a chamber beyond. Being attentive to your horse's reaction, invite yourself in . You are now in the inner sanctum of The Actual Private Part. It's hiding in there towards the back, trying to pretend it isn't there. Say hi and wave to it . No, really, work your finger back and forth around the sides of it. If the horse won't drop, this is your only shot at removing whatever dried smegma is clinging to the surface of the Part itself. So, gently explore around it, pulling out whatever crusty topsoil you find there. Use more water and more Excalibur if necessary to loosen attached gunk.
7.) When Mr Hand and the Actual Private Part have gotten to know each other pretty well, and the Part feels squeaky clean all around, there remains only one task: checking for, and removing, the bean. The bean is a pale, kidney-shaped accumulation of smegma in a small pouch just inside the urethra. Not all horses accumulate a bean, but In My Experience the majority do, even if they have no visible external smegma. So: the equine urethra is fairly large diameter, and indeed will permit you to very gently insinuate one of your slimmer fingers inside the urethral opening. Do so, and explore upwards for what will feel like a lump or "pea" buried no more than, I dunno, perhaps 3/4" in from the opening. If you do encounter a bean, gently and sympathetically persuade it out with your finger. This may require a little patience from BOTH Mr Hand AND the horse, but the horse will be happier and healthier once it's accomplished. In the rare event that the bean is too enormous for your finger to coax out, you might try what I did (in desperation) last month on the orange horse: Wrap thumb and index finger around the end of the Part and squeeze firmly to extrude the bean. Much to my surprise it worked and orange horse did NOT kill me for doing it and he does not seem to have suffered any permanant damage as a result ;-> I have never in my life seen another bean that enormous, though.
8.) Now all that's left to do is make a graceful exit and rinse the area very thoroughly in apology for the liberties you've taken . A hose will be MUCH easier to use here than just a sponge and bucket, In My Experience. Make sure to direct the water into the Part's inner retreat too, not merely the outer part of the sheath. This may require you to enfold the end of the hose in your hand and guide it up there personally.
9.) Ta-da, you are done! Say, "Good horsie" and feed him lots of carrots. Watch him make funny faces at the way your hands smell. Hmm. Well, perhaps there is ONE more step...
10.) The only thing I know of that is at all effective in removing the lovely fragrance of smegma from your hands (fingernails arms elbows and wherever else it's gotten) is Excalibur. Even then, if you didn't use gloves you may find you've got an unusual personal perfume for a while. So, word to the wise, do NOT clean your horse's sheath just before an important job interview or first date ;-) and of course, there is that one FINAL step...
11.) Figure out how to explain all this to your mother (or the kid from next door, or the meter reader, or whoever else you've just realized has been standing in the barn doorway speechlessly watching the entire process.) Now, go thou forth and clean that Part :-)

Here is something I read on HC a looong time ago. I have never owned a gelding long enough to have to clean a sheath, but kept it anyway because it is not only good instruction but hilarious to boot! It is long, but worth the read:

THE CLEANING PROCESS... WRITTEN BY: Patricia Harris [1998]
1.) Check to make sure there are no prospective boyfriends, elderly neighbors, or Brownie troops with a line of sight to the proceedings. Though of course they're probably going to show up unexpectedly ANYWAY once you're in the middle of things. Prepare a good explanation.
2.) Trim your fingernails short. Assemble horse, hose, and your sense of humor (plus, ideally, Excalibur cleanser and perhaps thin rubber gloves).
3.) Use hose (or damp sponge) to get the sheath and its inhabitant wet. Uh, that is, do this in a *civilized* fashion with due warning to the horse; he is apt to take offense if an icy-cold hose blasts unexpectedly into his personal regions ;-)
4.) Now introduce your horse to Mr Hand . What I find safest is to stand facing the horse's head, with my shoulder and hip snugly against the horse's thigh and hip so that if he makes any suspicious move such as raising his leg, I can feel it right away and am in any case pressed so close that all he can do is shove, not really kick. The horse should be held by an assistant or by your free hand, NOT tied fast to a post or to crossties. He may shift around a good bit if he's not happy with Mr Hand's antics, but don't be put off by that; as long as you are patient and gradual, and stick close to his side, he'll get over it. Remember that it would be most unladylike of you to simply make a direct grab for your horse's Part. Give the horse a clue about what's on the program. Rest your hand against his belly, and then slide it back til you are entering The Home of the Actual Private Part. When you reach this first region of your destination, lube him up good with Excalibur or whatever you're using. If the outer part of his sheath is really grungy you will feel little clods and nubblies of smegma peeling off as you grope around in there. Patiently and gently expedite their removal.
5.) Thus far, you have probably only been in the outer part of the sheath. The Part Itself, you'll have noticed, is strangely absent. That's because it has retired shyly to its inner chambers. Roll up them thar sleeves and follow in after it ;-)
6.) As you and Mr Hand wend your way deeper into the sheath, you will encounter what feels like a small portal that opens up into a chamber beyond. Being attentive to your horse's reaction, invite yourself in . You are now in the inner sanctum of The Actual Private Part. It's hiding in there towards the back, trying to pretend it isn't there. Say hi and wave to it . No, really, work your finger back and forth around the sides of it. If the horse won't drop, this is your only shot at removing whatever dried smegma is clinging to the surface of the Part itself. So, gently explore around it, pulling out whatever crusty topsoil you find there. Use more water and more Excalibur if necessary to loosen attached gunk.
7.) When Mr Hand and the Actual Private Part have gotten to know each other pretty well, and the Part feels squeaky clean all around, there remains only one task: checking for, and removing, the bean. The bean is a pale, kidney-shaped accumulation of smegma in a small pouch just inside the urethra. Not all horses accumulate a bean, but In My Experience the majority do, even if they have no visible external smegma. So: the equine urethra is fairly large diameter, and indeed will permit you to very gently insinuate one of your slimmer fingers inside the urethral opening. Do so, and explore upwards for what will feel like a lump or "pea" buried no more than, I dunno, perhaps 3/4" in from the opening. If you do encounter a bean, gently and sympathetically persuade it out with your finger. This may require a little patience from BOTH Mr Hand AND the horse, but the horse will be happier and healthier once it's accomplished. In the rare event that the bean is too enormous for your finger to coax out, you might try what I did (in desperation) last month on the orange horse: Wrap thumb and index finger around the end of the Part and squeeze firmly to extrude the bean. Much to my surprise it worked and orange horse did NOT kill me for doing it and he does not seem to have suffered any permanant damage as a result ;-> I have never in my life seen another bean that enormous, though.
8.) Now all that's left to do is make a graceful exit and rinse the area very thoroughly in apology for the liberties you've taken . A hose will be MUCH easier to use here than just a sponge and bucket, In My Experience. Make sure to direct the water into the Part's inner retreat too, not merely the outer part of the sheath. This may require you to enfold the end of the hose in your hand and guide it up there personally.
9.) Ta-da, you are done! Say, "Good horsie" and feed him lots of carrots. Watch him make funny faces at the way your hands smell. Hmm. Well, perhaps there is ONE more step...
10.) The only thing I know of that is at all effective in removing the lovely fragrance of smegma from your hands (fingernails arms elbows and wherever else it's gotten) is Excalibur. Even then, if you didn't use gloves you may find you've got an unusual personal perfume for a while. So, word to the wise, do NOT clean your horse's sheath just before an important job interview or first date ;-) and of course, there is that one FINAL step...
11.) Figure out how to explain all this to your mother (or the kid from next door, or the meter reader, or whoever else you've just realized has been standing in the barn doorway speechlessly watching the entire process.) Now, go thou forth and clean that Part :-)
Ok thanks :smile:
Edited by SweetTrigger

Use Mr hand. Smegma doesn't like to let go very easy. I usually take the hose in with mr hand. Let the water help me work the smegma off the 'walls'.

But its winter so a running hose isn't an option for me so just mr hand and something nice like Ky jelly or aloe juice.

Ive been using KY jelly for years. The day before I glove up and put some ky up there and leave it sit, no rinsing needed. Next day I glove up with a little more KY jelly and everything is losened from the KY the day before, effortless sheath cleaning.

Same here but I clean my horse's sheath when he is sedated for his yearly teeth. It drops automatically and he is mellow and I lube it up good and clean it off with a soft paper wipe.

OH the memories. Where is the sheath cleaning song lyrics when we need them??? I'll have to do a search.

Tracy

Found it on General Chit Chat. It won't help much with cold weather strategy, but it will have you laughing hard enough to spit your drink of choice all over your screen.

The Sheath Cleaning Song
Author Unknown

(Sing it to the tune of "Hello Mother, Hello Father" from camp song)

How's it hangin'?
So much cleaner.
Aren't you glad I
washed your wiener?

I'll admit it's
kinda creepy
that I had to stick my arm up in your pee-pee.

It was sticky.
It was gunky.
It felt icky.
It smelled funky.

It was cruddy,
it was crusty--
when you stuck it out, it creaked like it was rusty.

After half an
hour of toilin'
and of squirtin'
baby oil in,
you're as fresh there
as a daisy.

Either this means I love you or else I'm crazy!!!

Edited by TracyA