Sign in to follow this  
Smilie

Got A Trail Ride In ?nder The Wire!

Well, I live in Alberta, so the saying if you don`t like the weather, stick around a`moment, it will change`, sure came true this weekend!

Hearing the forecast, which predicted snow on Sunday, my friend and I decided to get in a last ride out west on Sat.

The weather was beautiful and warm. I took Charlie, as I have not had a chance to ride her out west this year, and sure like to get my show horses out there!

The area we went to, in the foothills, allowed a horse to be ridden barefoot, so ideal for Charlie! She climbed hills she never climbed before, but handled everything very well.

Sure did not look like a show horse , by the time we got back tot he trailer-dirty and covered with honest sweat!

I did have to find bigger stumps, getting on, as quite a height difference from short horse , Carmen !

Got a few pics I can post later

Anyway, woke up today to snow covered ground, and more coming down, Sigh !!!!

happy to hear it worked out so well! we've had indian summer weather, happily with very few flies on the trails, but i hear that's about to change :unsure: .

Been really nice here weather wise, except we had a wind event of about 40-70 mph.

NOT that unusual for this area, but sure plays heck with the allergies and eyes!

We plan to go ride out in the red rock cyn area now, as the temps here in the desert are very nice. We have about 40F at night, and about 68-78F in the day time.

7-2010triptoeasternsierra209.jpg

THIS IS the best seat in the house sometimes!!

asstshotsfornow070.jpg

GEDC0422.jpg

GEDC0416.jpg

Edited by siseley

You guys are making me jealous!

I tried to post a new topic, but something is not working, so will post a pic of Charlie here. If the other topic shows up, with a duplicate picture, apologies in advance!

Charliebalanceride1_zps2c44e22e.jpg

I'm glad that you and the lovely Charlie were able to share the trails with a human and an equine friend before the first snow fall. The area around you looks very beautiful! I love to watch uptight show horses relax and start to enjoy going down the trail.

I'm sure that you would be very welcome to visit and go on a winter trail ride with any HC buddy living in a warmer climate!

Although, you might not want to use that out-house during windy days if you visit Steve & Siseley. The next strong wind could blow that house away! :shocked:

Thanks, Dondie, for the invitation. I have often thought of riding in the desert.

I have checked into the Red Rock ride out of Las Vegas, and my friend went on it last year. JUst need an extra $3,000 or so!

Thanks, Dondie, for the invitation. I have often thought of riding in the desert.

I have checked into the Red Rock ride out of Las Vegas, and my friend went on it last year. JUst need an extra $3,000 or so!

That would be a LOT of pocket change to just to look at some Red Rocks on horse back! :thud:

Lots of US sites are offering discount fights & hotel packages to Vegas.

With the economy in Vegas stumbling, they are really cutting rates to drum up business.

Are there some on-line sites in Canada that have similar bargains?

Actually, this is the ride i was talking about. It is a week long, and includes several areas. I imagine there is some trailering involved

http://www.redrockride.com/

We have been several times to Las Vegas, taking advantage of flight and hotel package deals. We usually rent a car, and have visited Death Valley, had a picnic lunch and hike, both at Red Rock and Valley of Fire

I am not one to just stay on the Strip!

Far as outfitters that cater to tourists, offering mountain rides, there are several

I'll give you a link to one

http://www.brewsteradventures.com/

The Red Rock ride is a week long ride where they move you to the various trails that you will ride. They are booked for 2014, But that outfitter has 400+ horses and most are stationed at the various national parks where he has the concession license to guide. You don't have to do the full $3000 week long ride. You can just show up at Say Bryce Canyon and ride one or two rides that may be all day or half day depending on what you book. The Vegas airport is a little closer than the Salt Lake Airport. It is about 4 hours drive from SLC and 3 hours over from Vegas to get to the Bryce Canyon area.

We rode in Zion National Park a week ago. Snowed at home and we enjoyed 60°F afternoons as we rode. I had pulled the shoes a week ago, So I had tried to stay on trails with softer footing. But we still got into some rocks, But the horses did great.

IMG_2232.jpg

IMG_2229.jpg

IMG_2286.jpg

The trail drops from here in pretty steep switch backs down into LaVerkin Creek.

IMG_2246.jpg

IMG_2221.jpg

IMG_2203.jpg

I envy the places you guys have to ride. I live in densely populated area and have to run parks, community trails and shoulders of the streets. Nothing compared to your trails.

DR650;

Come on down!!

We have had temps in the mid to upper 70's, and have been riding daily out to the buttes. Lots of "snowbirds" living in the mobile home parks with their big motorhomes, and lots out in the desert just living in slab city. I have to admit, we have had only .03 inches of rain, and have been in drought for about 10 years, so water has become like petroleum out here. VERY expensive, and the farmers and growers are having a bad time of it. Where I live, we don't even have sidewalks, or curbs, let alone street lights, except in the center of the shopping and township, and have written codes to prevent them, as well as unchecked development. Many kids ride their horses to Elementary, or Middle school, and lots of folks ride to our Saddleback Country Market, and go to the taco place for lunch,or early supper, then group up and ride to the buttes for the afternoon and nite rides. Since we don't have street lights, we do have the clear skies of the desert,

This is some of the sights from my buttes behind the house;

GEDC0402.jpgshotsofsnowandhouse015.jpg

Those mountains in the back ground are up to 11,000 ft, and we can be up in the pines in about 25 minutes. The township is at about 3000 ft, but since is desert, we don't have much rain, or many green trees. Only Josua trees, which are not really trees, but are related to Lillys!!

Our soil as you can see, is mostly decomposed granit, and we are mostly formed by Volcanic action. You can even see the cinder cones we ride out to from time to time.