Sign in to follow this  
jackie2925

Indiana Hunter Opted To End His Life

Saw this on CNN and I think it's very selfish of him to end his life. Just married in August with a baby on the way.

Not sure if I agree that he should have been the right to decide so quickly. I think they should have made a mandatory amount of time before ending your life.

Here's the story!

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/06/us/paralyzed-indiana-deer-hunter-ends-life/index.html?c=us

Great.. Government will find a way to end the use of tree stands... :angry:

Seriously.. he had a right to be taken off life support.. LOVED ones sometimes hang on too long to the reality and selfishness of hoping for a cure.. I just lost another friend to chemo... the cancer was cured.. his heart could not take all the chemo. He did this for his family... death by love is not always the best solution either. Nature will find a way... why try and keep the inevitable from happening...

If the wifey was young and pretty she will find someone else . Even ugly people do...Life goes on..He was selfless to allow her to do this....

AD

Reality- He couldn't survive without life support.. Didn't want to depend on it to live for how long? Don't know the full detail of his injuries ,or the extent of the paralysis, his whole body, internal, lungs . Also prime target for other serious health problems, main one is phenomena other infections.. his decision his right.

Perhaps he and his family already discussed things, he made the decision for him and them why burden them with medical bills, knowing the outcome down the road..

Edited by Ann Wheeler

Nothing selfish about it. Why continue to burden the finances if there is no hope?

I think he made an extremely brave decision. Unfortunately, his decision has garnered so much press that his poor family my be hounded for years (I say years because you know someone or there is already trying to write up a new law with a mandatory wait period with psych eval and all sorts of other hoops, and this family's name will be at the root if it, when really they should just be allowed to start their healing process with the rest of America butting in! )

I would try to make the same decision. It would be selfish of me to expect my wife and family to visit and spend time with me in that state, for years and years. To see the drain on them physically and emotionally as they sit around as life passes them by, would tear me up. I want to be a good addition to my wife's life, not a burden and the center of her life.

It wasn't selfish. So many in my family already made it clear that if something ever happens and they become a "vegetable" that they don't want to live for that.

But I must question why he didn't have a harness. They're such a good thing to have. They now have things that'll lower you to the ground so you're not just hanging. I have both. I hunt alone 90% of the time and this thing is my security. I know many avid hunters don't wear one (my husband included) but they could prevent all this from even starting.

It wasn't selfish. So many in my family already made it clear that if something ever happens and they become a "vegetable" that they don't want to live for that.

But I must question why he didn't have a harness. They're such a good thing to have. They now have things that'll lower you to the ground so you're not just hanging. I have both. I hunt alone 90% of the time and this thing is my security. I know many avid hunters don't wear one (my husband included) but they could prevent all this from even starting.

Because some don't want to be bothered with putting it on. They just think I know what I'm doing. I've done the same thing around my horse. Doing the same thing over and over and thinking it'll be ok. It would have most likely saved him but unfortunately we sometimes tend to think it couldn't possibly happen to us.

This is such a shame.

I hope I would have the courage to do the same thing, if necessary. I hope my family would support my decision and/or choose the same for me. I won't even pretend to understand what he and his family were faced with, and I would never call him selfish. Quite the opposite, actually.

i didn't realize that this was even an option in the u.s. such a sad story, but i agree with many others here that it was the selfless thing to do. aside from the emotional toll, the financial burden would have been crushing. (i had a mother on life support for 2 years--the costs were staggering).

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/news/local/Injured-Hunter-Chooses-To-End-Life-Support-230822171.html

That is the story from my local news. This is only about an hour away from me.

For those don't want to click the link

An Indiana man who was left paralyzed from the shoulders down after a hunting accident told his family he wanted to be taken off life support rather than be dependent on others for the rest of his life.

32-year-old Tim Bowers of Decatur died Sunday about five hours after doctors removed his breathing tube.

Bowers suffered three crushed vertebrae Saturday when he fell about 16 feet from an elevated tree stand while hunting deer. His sister Jenny Shultz of Las Vegas says her brother's brain wasn't injured in the fall.

Doctors brought Bowers out of sedation to tell him his prognosis and allow him to decide on his care.

Courts have long upheld the right of patients to refuse life support, but most decisions are made by surrogates.

Considering he was paralyzed from the shoulders down with 3 crushed vertebrae. I would hazard a guess that he would be 100% dependent on a ventilator.

I don't blame him nor think it's selfish. It sucks for the family left behind. It will for sometime. But they will move past it and live life again.

I see him as a hero. It would take TREMENDOUS strength to be able to communicate with your spouse, tell them bye knowing you will never see them again.

This case, IMO, is much worse then having a loved one on life support that doesn't even know you are there and letting them go.

((HUGS)) to that family.

Of course, the emotional part of my heart tugs for the mom and the unborn baby. The baby will never meet or see his/her biological father. On the other hand, it would have been extremely painstaking, financially difficult, and emotionally draining for the wife to have to take care of him for the rest of his life, leaving less time and energy for the baby. The baby can be a legacy of the dad, and I imagine she is young enough that she will meet someone new at some point. I can't imagine how difficult it would have been for him to make the decision, but clearly he was not thinking of just himself, but also of the burden it would be on others. She would have had to dress, undress, feed, clean, change his diapers/catheter/whatever they used, and whatever for the rest of his life if he ever was able to be off life support. Kudos to him. What a strong individual. I think he had a right to do what he did, and it doesn't upset me in the least. It is sad for the family, and especially for the wife and unborn baby, but I don't think it was a wrong decision. I can only hope that the media gives them privacy, but I don't bank on it.

I don;t necessarily think he was selfish. Nor do I think he was a hero. I am of two VERY different minds on this, as I am, unfortunately, on many matters.

My husband and I have VERY different views on just such situations. He would have made the same decision this young man did. It is not what I would have chosen for him or for myself.

That said:

Not sure if I agree that he should have been the right to decide so quickly. I think they should have made a mandatory amount of time before ending your life.

Here's the story!

That is exactly what I would say, pretty much. It is an emotional thing to learn of your condition and it should NOT be taken lightly or a decision made quickly. The fact that he does have a wife and unborn child is a major factor for either choice, but people do live fulfilling lives after traumatic injuries.

Finally, even though I think we are dealt the hands we are given for a reason and it is our responsibility to make the most of it any which way, it is not something I can say for ANYone except myself. This was doctor-assisted suicide, no two ways about it. I do not support or believe in it, but I feel the same way about it that I do about abortion. I think it is wrong but I cannot tell someone else what to do in their situation because I do not know their heart or their experience.

Guess I feel the body has amazing ways of healing itself at times. This decision was made what 24/48 hours after the accident. His body had no time to recover. Who knows what would have happened after inflammation, bruising etc had gone away.

I understand he would have remained paralyzed but who's to say he wouldn't had been able to live somewhat productive life in a wheelchair.

I feel that he should have waited at least 4-6 months to decide on this.

Maybe I'm the selfish one.

Edited by jackie2925

This guy was from the same county as me. While I did not know him personally, I have some friends that were very close with him. I feel very on the fence about this.

This guy was an avid outdoorsmen. He was very active and loved hunting. What happened was a terrible, terrible accident. I TOTALLY understand not wanting to live your life being a complete vegetable.

I also see the 'selfish' side of it. His poor wife just married him three months ago and is pregnant with his child. He never got to see his child's face.

But yet, I don't know what would be harder: never seeing your child's face, or seeing your child's face but NEVER being able to really interact with him. He could never play with him or take him hunting.

If I were his wife, I would understand, yet be completely hurt at the same time. There has to be some feeling of rejection, I would think.

But in my opinion, it was his decision. It was his life. He had a nice long talk with his wife before deciding, so I'm guessing they came to an agreement.

I still can't say whether it was right or wrong. But it's not my choice.

the financial burden would have been a huge consideration. new baby? dad needing care for the rest of his life? i can imagine that between parents-to-be that would have been the overwhelming factor.

what a kind and selfless man.

Such a sad story. Selfless.

I believe he fell out climbing in to his stand, even if he had a harness on, it would not have been fastened to the tree at that point.

Last year my chiropractor, of all people, fell out of a tree with a running chainsaw pruning branches away form his tree stand. Landed on his back across a downed tree and had some fracturing. The ding dong said, in true man fashion, that he got right up to make sure the chainsaw wasn;t damaged...then tried to finished his cut job. :blink:

I told him, and he knows, how lucky he was not to have been paralysed out there in the middle of nowhere, or minus an arm.

All I can say is it was his right to decide. Now instead of a financial/emotional burden to his wife, she can at least get social security benefits for his child to help her financially. I don't think I would want to live a life dependent on others to care for me. Keep me on life support long enough to harvest any organs someone else can use then let me go.

possible more serious then people think , he would have been dependent on life support period. Also may have had only a short time to live, may not have had 4/ 6 months to live was given his options. Probably him/ his wife family discussed it.