Sign in to follow this  
katmerlin

Birds In The Barn

Does anyone know how to get rid of birds in the barn? There's live 200+ birds in there and they are driving me insane. Its just disgusting. I've tried the whole decoy thing... that didn't work they just destroyed them. I'm considering poisons if anyone knows any good ones to give them? They are sparrows and starlings ( not state protected breeds )

Shoot them or trap them. I had a repeating sparrow trap bookmarked but never got the traps set up so I cannot speak for their effectiveness.

Starlings persistently tried building nests in my sliding doors...man, those suckers are FAST! I kept destroying the nests, and had to harden my heart when there were babies in the nests. After so long they finally gave up. The only birds that come in the barn now are swallows, and I welcome them. Now my big machine shed is another matter, and it will take shooting or trapping to get them. They are waaaay the heck up there.

I applaud you, however, for positively identifying the problem birds you have and for recognizing the protection potential. Yeah, starlings and house sparrows, bang away.

I had a starling build a nest behind the wall in my extra stall. I waited and waited for her to get the babies out, but evidently she couldn't and just kept feeding them. Finally I took a board off the wall and three of them came out. They were almost fully grown, LOL, and were flying in a matter of minutes. I then hung aluminum pie plates from the cross beams in front of both doors. There's always a breeze so the plates move constantly and bang together. No more starlings. But then barn swallows kept starting nests. The pie plates didn't seem to bother them. They're good for flies but they will buzz you when they have young ones. So I got a life size owl statue at Rural King and put it on top of a ladder in the aisleway. No more swallows. I can't guarantee either of those things worked but I don't have birds. It sounds like you have a real problem, though, with that many.

Edited by jubal

They have recordings of birds in distress that will drive the birds out for awhile.

Your best defenses are:

1) Blocking their entrance into your barn with metal or plastic or fabric netting. You can staple it to rafters to block access to the top of the barn or block windows. Hang strips of overlapping plastic/fabric netting that the horses can push their way through and will keep the birds out.

2) Power washing or knocking all the nests down with a pole on a daily basis

3) Barn Cats, provide the cats with board "roads" so they can access the beams & areas where the birds nest.

The big problem with bird poison such as Avitrol is that it requires a licensed pest exterminator and it can harm pets, horses and protected bird species. A local apartment complex is in deep trouble after they poisoned pigeons with tainted cracked corn and other birds and animals were killed.

No way should you put poison on overhead rafters. Gravity is NOT your friend in that situation. A spin-off of the pie plate suggestion is using old scratched CD/DVD's suspended on string to freely rotate and reflect flashing ambient light. Also go to the dollar store and buy every toy rubber snake you can get your hands on. Wrap/tie then on overhead rafters & beams, coiled up in corners and everywhere you find bird nest material. You can sometimes also fool the birds with 3' sections of old garden hose painted black or striped with black electrical tape. ~FH

Edited by FloridaHorseman

My votes for barn cats. Won't have a mice problem with them around also. FH your post remined me of something weird about snakes. I use to tack the horse up sometimes at a hitching post that is by a huge oak in summer sometimes.I hung the halter on the post and the lead rope kinda hung down and coiled at the botton. This was a black rope. My tack box was next to it. This one day I come in, drop the reins to ground tie the horse.See movement next to the tack box.It's a small black snake that is crawling around my lead rope.It's very adament about not wanting me to move it. I move horse and get my rake to move it to the pasture.Very seldom do I see snakes at all. A couple days later I start to tack up horse and see another snake (this one was larger) attracted to this lead rope. Moved this one. The only thing I can think of is maybe it was their mating season and they thought the lead rope was another snake. Never had this happen again, but it just seemed so weird.

... The only thing I can think of is maybe it was their mating season and they thought the lead rope was another snake. Never had this happen again, but it just seemed so weird.

LOL! Good on 'ya for being snake savvy. Nobody ever said snakes were smart. But when you look at it scientifically.... snakes ARE the same temperature as lead ropes. ~FH

LOL! Good on 'ya for being snake savvy. Nobody ever said snakes were smart. But when you look at it scientifically.... snakes ARE the same temperature as lead ropes. ~FH

Just hope it's only black snakes. LOL!