equestrianbreeches

Update - New Barn Paranoia

Yeah, you might be able to get away with something like "This barn is no longer a good fit for us and that is all I am going to say." It won't save you the confrontation but it will protect you by being non-specific.

Yeah, I was thinking something along the lines of "I'm more focused on trail riding these days and I would like to be at a place with access to trails". Like you said, won't save me from confrontation, but I think it will lessen the amount of venom. This is going to be a huge financial blow to her so I'm trying to be a little sensitive to that. I'm one of 6 boarders and I'm the only one with two horses. She's a small operation so yeah, this will be a good chunk of income gone for her. She has a 14 horse capacity and currently has 4 empty stalls.

I'd arrange to move them when she isn't there and then tell her after the fact. You don't need drama when you're trying to load horses. And maybe have all belongings ready to go at the same time. Then if it comes down to being screamed at, your horses and belongings are safe and you can just walk away from it. But that's just my take on it. You're there and know the situation. Good luck.

I'd arrange to move them when she isn't there and then tell her after the fact. You don't need drama when you're trying to load horses. And maybe have all belongings ready to go at the same time. Then if it comes down to being screamed at, your horses and belongings are safe and you can just walk away from it. But that's just my take on it. You're there and know the situation. Good luck.

I will say this, only one boarder has left under good terms in the nine years that I've been there. In all that time, I've never seen her take it out on the horses. I have to give her that. I do have to agree on the screaming during loading horses thing. Since I have two horses I am going to need an extra pair of hands while loading them. They're both good loaders but you know how that goes when tension is high, they pick up on it.

I do have everything ready to go so it's just a matter of loading up. I thought about bringing all the belongings home so all I have to do is throw two horses on the trailer and then I'm done. This is not going to be fun for sure.

I would send her a letter, certified mail. That way she can not say you did not give notice. Bring home the things you don't use regularly. That would limit the amount you have to load and move on moving day. Be prepared to load the horses the day she gets the letter. That way if she gets nasty, you can just load and go. If necessary, do not be afraid to have a police officer go with you to get the horses if she gets too bad.

Congratulations on moving! You will be so much happier after it is done!

If you can't move the horses when she is absent and your worried about her going off on you...

Bring your husband and a big male friend.

It's amazing how having 2 men along, seems to make things easier.

Most idiots will go off, if only one man is around....Two men....whole different attitude. :rotf:

I'm so glad that both you and your daughter checked out the other stables. The fact that you got a bad feeling from one BO and chose to stay away. Shows that taking control of your situation, has brought out an inner strength that you'd buried under your fear of change.

What an incredible and positive life lesson to teach your daughter! :yay:

You taught her how to take charge of her life and walk away from a bad situation!!!!

You have shown real courage and determination! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

When I moved my sister's horses to my house. I wanted them to learn what HOT wire meant the first day. So I stood at an angle on the other side of the fence with a long carrot slightly below the wire, and when they touched their muzzle to grab the carrot they got ZAPPED!

None of them ever tried to mess with hot wire again.

It might take a couple of days before they will take carrots out of your hands.

I normally don't feed my horses by hand, so it wasn't any big deal. They did stare at the carrots in their buckets for a few minutes, at first.

:smileywavey:

Most horses learn pretty quickly about hot wire. I have used it many times for the horses and even my dogs. Once they learn about it, you don't even have to keep it on all the time. I could run a piece of string around the top of the yard fence and our fence jumper dog wouldn't even try to jump it!

Aggie,

Midland is where they came from. They had a few horses on their own land, sold their house for big $ I guess & bought (and are slowly destroying) this barn. They think they are all that, but I think they were big fish in a little pond (I.e. Midland), but now they are small fish in a much bigger, higher class pond.

Not that I'm some snooty, fancy horse owning person, but I don't pretend to be.

There are others who are complaining about the feed, cob webs, etc. One lady said a horse's stall looked like a haunted house. Same lady's horse didn't get fed one night. Good thing she was there. Makes us wonder what happens when we can't be there.