Sign in to follow this  
yellow_monster17

The Perfect Bit?

I have a 7 year old gelding, who I'm starting to train in games. He has good flex, and we are working on rate. Ever sense I started training him I've had problems finding a good bit for him. He tends to like being on the bit, and I'm working on correcting that. I prefer not to use severely harsh bits. He has a pretty soft mouth, so any bit with a port or anything of the such is out of the question. But, my problem is he doesn't have good brakes. So I need a gentle bit, but one that gives me brakes. What bit do you recommend me to use? Would I be better off trying a hack on him? Currently right now he's in a tomb thumb, because that's the only bit I own he likes and listens in. Any advice would be great!

there is no such thing as the perfect bit to give you brakes, only a responsive hand and an effective seat and legs. i hate the tom thumb bit, (which i would not describe as *kind*) and i have my doubts that your horse likes it.

there is no bit in the world that will give you brakes, because if you don't have your horse listening to your legs, seat and weight use, if he decides to run off with you, or not stop or slow down no bit will be able to help you, because you have those three considerable holes going on. you need to be able to control the rest of the body, not just the head and neck.

good luck finding a solution.

I'm not a fan of the tomb thumb either, but the only other bits I own is a wonder gag (which I don't like) curbs with medium ports, a long shank with a double twisted mouth with broken middle. I don't want to go out and buy a bit that won't work. I want some idea or what to get. And as I stated, I'm working on rate. So that's been helping a little with his stopping. I'm just looking for. Bit that gives me a little help. I need a bit that will help me communicate with him, yet isn't very harsh.

I'm not a fan of the tomb thumb either, but the only other bits I own is a wonder gag (which I don't like) curbs with medium ports, a long shank with a double twisted mouth with broken middle. I don't want to go out and buy a bit that won't work. I want some idea or what to get. And as I stated, I'm working on rate. So that's been helping a little with his stopping. I'm just looking for. Bit that gives me a little help. I need a bit that will help me communicate with him, yet isn't very harsh.

if you're working on rating you'd be riding freestyle (on a loose rein) to teach him to carry himself (which he has to do to stop without leaning on you). just use a thin sweet iron snaffle--that way if you need to go to a one rein stop you've got the leverage, he'll enjoy the sweet iron, and you can work on your seat, legs, weight distribution and timing.

it is NOT about the bit.