Comet98

Qh/standardbred Cross, 12 Yr Old Mare - Good Conformation?

This is my horse Comet! I wanted someone else's opinion on my horse's conformation! She stands squared like this on a daily basis so she knows her stuff. I think she has an excellent conformation, but wanted other people's opinions and judgements!(:

post-64759-0-22365700-1386356664_thumb.jpg

She is cute, but needs to actually be standing squared, all 4 feet and legs going straight up and down. The way she is standing does her no favors, makes her appear U necked, very up right in the shoulders, long backed, weak loined, and sickle hocked, and coon footed, as well she looks like she is avoiding loading her front heals from?pain? And also appears to have very long pasterns...

That is not saying that is how she actually is, just how the photo makes her look. Is you can, look at the sticky on top, and see if you can get some better pictures.

Agree-she is not standing squared up, but under , both in front and in the back

She seems to have a dip in front of her whithers, with a head that does not look very feminine

Better pictures might help a lot, far as over all impression

When a horse is squared up, they stand like this picture of my mare Charlie

AwardedWithLoveHalter09.jpg

If that is how she frequently, naturally stands, she is what is called "camped under" both in front and back. She also has a ewe neck, exacerbated by the dip in front of her withers. Her head of coarse for a mare, but fairly typical of the standardbred. A QH/ STB cross is an awkward pairing, as you are crossing two very different types. Does your mare gait?

Conformation isn't everything...a good brain and personality and rideability definitely count for a lot when it comes to a good using horse.

Her front is camped under because her shoulder to upright and her wither is too far back, making saddle fitting properly very difficult. Her hip is too far back which can cause back issues...She is really out of balance.. I also see her throat latch thick along with the ewe neck. Personally, I find her to be a proper conformation mess, but if she gets the job done and your happy with her..that's what matters most. Look at some conformation books and you can see what we are talking about to educate yourself before getting upset. Look at the white horse that is posted above and you can see how balanced that horse is even with its minor flaws.

As far as breeding her I'd stay away from any of those prospects. Just enjoy her!

AD