Lovemyhorse112

Judge My Horses Conformation?

He is an 8 year old paint gelding who I use for pretty much all things western. He is a proven winner in speed events, team sorting/penning and he has some skill in hunter jumper as well.

I know they're not perfect conformation shots, but I tried.

People have told me he has great conformation. I'm just looking for some more opinions.

2mrz4tx.jpg

2e3bmds.jpg

This is him saddled

2hqeyxk.jpg

Extended trot. (He's also got a nice jog. Just with a lot of hock action)

2edpqtk.jpg

Opinions? Comments?

I think this is a pretty nice looking little horse! His markings are lovely, but I do think they are throwing off my eye on those hind legs. I think he has excellent overall balance, a well-placed neck, nice pastern angles that match the slope of his shoulder and a lovely topline that maybe could use some muscle but it formed well.

i'd like to see a whole lot more top line on an 8 year old, but that's not a conformation issue. nice shoulder, nice hip. i agree with GH that his (lovely) markings are marginally distracting :blink: , but overall he looks like a pleasant and nicely put together horse.

I like him overall.. He does look a bit camped under on the rear, but that might be his trim on his hoofs..

Personally I like the hocks a bit lower and the pasterns a bit shorter for them to remain sound longer...

What is his breeding? Is he a registered Paint or a Pinto?

AD

Nice overall balance, hind legs look a tad posty to me. He's a tad downhill, but I tend to expect that in stock horses. I like his head and eye, love the shoulder, nice hoof size, but I would want to see a touch more depth through the throatlatch. Good heart girth.

He absolutely needs more topline - he'll jump even better if you can muscle it up some.

Hill work. Trot up, walk down. (I realize you may not have any hills, but if you do ;).

Work over ground poles and/or cavaletti. As you jump him, do gymnastic/grid work, both free jump and under saddle.