Sign in to follow this  
Problemsw/Penny

Mane And Tail Braiding Products.

I have a horse who is 14 - 14.2 hh, and her mane and tail is so long and thick, that it is just a mess to keep nice when im riding or working with her, and recently she spooked and was rearing up and moving back and completeley just ripped most of her tail out, so i have been trying to braid it but it's all uneven and frizzy and it will not stay in a braid, as for her mane her previous owner cut it off in a completley straight line at about the middle of her neck and it is growing out nicely and is now almost below her shoulder, which is great except it is an absolute terror to brush out when i get her out of the pasture, so i spend around 30 minutes on her mane and then around 45 on her tail, then after i ride it is a mess again, and the braids just won't hold, so i guess to get to the point, I'm asking what your opinion is or your favorite brand of braiding bands and detangler and such? I know i can't have her mane and tail braiding out in the pasture as i dont need her rubbing and losing anymore hair. So if you know how to keep the tail nice while out in the ppsture that would also be great to know.

Cowboy magic products.

And look up Sleezy Barb horse wear, she makes mane socks, basically small tail bags for ultra thick manes. We had a couple horses who wore them all the time and had no rubbing issues. Very popular among the gypsy vanner crowd, I use to board with her

Use a 3-piece tail tube for her tail, braid it down, fasten with 3-4 rubber bands, and the tie the end in a big knot. That will hold it in place even with tail swishing.

Cowboy Magic is great, but terribly expensive! If you are cheap (like me), buy Infusium Leave-In Treatment at your local department store, and SOAK the mane with that every couple days. It leaves it really soft and tangle-free. You can buy a huge bottle for around $7 or so.