PeppySue

Texas People #6

3,055 posts in this topic

Our new year was pretty quiet! Just hubby, me and youngest GD. didn't bother me at all. Spent today getting Christmas decorations back into the attic, running the dishwasher and splitting wood for the woodstove. Need to get the porch stacked as it is supposed to get cold again by Sunday. Will be splitting more tomorrow and Saturday.

Mz - It got cold last night when the front blew in. Burrrrr.

The paint guy took the day off yesterday but is back working today. I have to get more paint today and I decided on a new color for the foyer and little hall area. Here is a pic of the living and dining room primed.

photo42_zpsee622158.jpg

Peppy I love the French doors to the dining room, hard wood floors and high ceiling of your older homes. You really bought a gem. Can't wait to see it all done.

Paul is at the Dr getting a chest xray. He had an appt. this morning which was fortunate because he was having difficulty breathing when he got up.

The Dr gave him a vit. B, anti inflammatory and some other shot to boost his energy level. His lungs were clear, so hopefully he's not coming down with pneumonia. He took the night off.

Could you keep him in your prayers?

I need to go get feed..my mental block about doing it has kicked in. Gaaa!!

Mz I have putting Christmas decorations looming over my head too.

Plus all the wedding decorations are piled in the spare room, need to be sorted and put away. No hurry, I can do it at my leisure but it's still has to be done eventually.

Well Paul just got home I need to warm up some lunch for him.

Peppy are you buying the house. Sorry if I missed that post. Like the French doors I want to put some going outside the back door to our house. Probably wont start working on that though till maybe summertime. Right now it's just being used as a storage building. The trailer is where we are living but after we move into the house I'd love to turn this into my office and of course babes wants a game room and well baby girl would have her area too. So many plans yet I doubt they will come into reality this year.

Mz my Christmas tree is still up. I have yet to eat my candy canes. I really need to put it back in storage though. Just haven't felt up to it.

QH prayers sent your way for Paul. I hear you on the decorations it must have taken me a month to get in baby girls room and organize it from her birthday party.

Well my New Years has not gone well.

We had a big downfall with my nephews mom. She posted naked pictures of my brother and his now girlfriend on fb. The first thing I see when I open it. I about had a heart attaché. She hacked my brothers fb and my sisters and posted them. All this after stalking him for two days to tase him and take him "home" as she said. Poor brother told him I could see her being the next Jodie Arias. Killing him and his gf she's mentally not all there I swear it. I got her to admit it she said it was payback for him leaving her. I don't see why she just don't let him be. All my family friends and the gfs as well saw these pics. They are pressing charges.

I also woke up yesterday with the flu. I feel horrible bones aching coughing up that nasty stuff and running a high fever. Went to the dr this morning and had them give me a blood test to see if I was pregnant because my uterus has been killing me. I also felt fluttering in there. Turns out I'm not pregnant I'm low on blood he said 3 pints low I'm really anemic close to needing a blood transfusion. Your supposed to be over a 13 I'm below 10. I also had a cyst burst in my uterus and the tumor I have in there the only way to get it out would be to have a full hysterectomy. So I have to be certain that I want no more kids. In a way I would love one more but like I told my husband I don't want to put my health in danger of it turning cancerous. So right now I'm in a daze I guess you could say. Baby girl went into the dr too and found out she has an ear infection. The only one not sick is my husband. He's been so good to me these past two days. Washed clothes cleaned the fridge took out the trash w/o being told like 10 times. He got real concerned when the dr told me about my blood being low. His mom had the same thing and had a stroke that left her crooked in her walking and a little off.

Baby girl has had 31 episodes when I told the dr today he got a bit concerned. I go on the 9th to get the print out.

Well off to bed to get some rest. Hopefully I can feel better tomorrow. I got no medicine so I'm having to kick this on my own. So please pray for us.

Aggie, hopefully you got all the bad stuff out of the way already! As for the tumor, I would get rid of it! There are hundreds of kids out there who need a good home, adopt one later if you want more kids. Do the doctors know why you are so anemic?

Will send prayers for you and Paul!

Not much going on here, got the new Durango inspected today so the title can get transfered. It has Tennessee plates right now. Got the wash done but not folded. Did manage to get the clean sheets on the bed. Don't know what I am going to do next summer after GD leaves! She always helps get the sheets back on the bed.

Peppy, love the house! Will be so glad when we finish our living room! I have a set of french doors to go onto the porch. They have cat doors in them already so can take the one out of the window.

Aggie - Prayers sent for you and your family. I bought my house a year and a half ago but my finances got tied up with tuition as I started school at the same time. I finally saved up the money so I could get the paint and painter.

QH - Prayers for Paul. I do love all the historic features of my home which is the main reason I bought it. We don't have a year the house was built but am thinking the 30's. I've still got the original hardware on the doors (the skeleton key kind), the hardwood floors, etc.

Mz - My living room is getting finished today. Know the feeling!

Not much happening for me today. I am enjoying my time off and have already read four books I got for Christmas. Once all the painting is done I am going to start decorating all the rooms. I've got lots of my stuff in storage at my mom's place. It's been so long since I've seen it I'm not sure what I have anymore. Mostly it's my knickknacks from childhood, lots of books, and other stuff to make my home mine. Well, I'm off to fix lunch as my stomach is growling at me. Have a good day everyone.

Peppy, I agree with Mz it will be so exciting to unpack your belongings and find new places for them.

Mz I need a doggie door for the little dogs, we have French doors off the dining room at the back of the house. Didn't know you could put doggie doors in French doors.

I have to get out today and get my yarn but don't want to leave until after the kids come by and show us their new VW Jetta they are picking up this morning.

Doug has been repairing her bug left and right and losing sleep over keeping it running. And because it now needs something replaced that is $700 Amanda's cost, they decided to see what VW would give them on a trade.

I'm excited because we can start using her car and diesel when we go somewhere now.

Aggie I will never understand why adults think behaving badly is ok. Don't let her drag you into that madness.

I will keep you and baby girl in my prayers.

Gotta work on packing up Christmas today and tomorrow. It WILL be done by Monday lol

Need to let Jody go and have my last cup of coffee before I get cleaned up.

Hoping we can all see a movie tonight and dinner out.

Stay warm, this arctic front heading our way is gonna be a doozie!

I've learned the warm weather we get is a warning of the cold to come. It sure got hot while I was raking leaves this morning. Ended up in a t-shirt and got 3 more bags done which finished out the front yard; at least until the oak tree drops the rest of its leaves. I've been cleaning up the living room today and it is back in decent shape. He has to touch up the trim in some spots when he returns and then the room will be done. The dining room has the wall color up, just needs finishing. I'm returning the china cabinets to white as they are currently dark brown. It will be cool to finally be able to put the chandelier up in the dining room. The paint guy will be back Tuesday and hopefully will be done by next Friday.

Front got here as I was feeding the herd. Temp dropped 4-5 degrees in a half hour. Not a fan of the drizzling rain though. Jason said its dry in Flynn so our moisture must be because of the Gulf.

We need to get the last round bale out of the trailer before tonight, I've been going through hay like crazy with these cold nights.

We should have done it when it was warm and dry yesterday, but I think it's supposed to clear this afternoon. I'm about starved for clear sunny skies.

I bought 10 skeins of yarn and used my 40% off coupon on a big book on crocheted flowers and trims. I adore the crocheted flower embellishments. I want to begin with a baby blanket, hopefully for my new grand baby-to-be.

The Jetta Amanda was buying ended up being sold on Friday night in Houston before they could transfer it to Conroe. So they found one in Austin, but it's the loaded model and will cost them more. But it's her blue color so she's happy. She'll pick it up tomorrow night. She is so excited.

Now I need to keep Paul out of new car lots, he used to get new car fever anytime he drove by a car lot! And with both the kids getting new vehicles, he's getting the itch. I kept reminding him of his retirement and how the goal is to pay things off not add more debt!

I need to plan dinner and defrost something. Then I think I will charge my Kindle and start a book or a crochet project. Have a great Sunday and stay warm.

Wow this wind is scary! Blew me all around driving home from the movies. Had to feed when I got home and I could hardly keep the hay on the fork. Poor horses don't have a way to stay out of the wind with it coming out of the west. If they would go to the old hay barn with a west wall they could. But they want to stay up by the hay and there's just a north wall there.

If you can, go see American Hustle with Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper and Christian Bale. I think it is the best movie I have ever seen simple because of the performances. If Amy Adams doesn't get the Oscar for her acting, I will be amazed. Elizabeth Lawrence was amazing too.

Edited by QH_LUV_R

Holy horse apples! I am freezing! Don't know what the temp is outside but it sure is cold in my office! I am sitting here with my fleece vest on and a blanket around my legs! Hubby has fires going in both stoves in the living room and dining room! May have to move in there just to warm up!

Gotta go out today to shop for the food pantry and to take GD to get her learner's permit. She finished the on-line driver's ed course last night. Will have to find a notary to notorize her form first. She wants to get her driver's license before she graduates and moves to Maryland. At least she won't be on our insurance!

22 here this morning at 7:30. Wind isn't as bad though. Horses must have been watching the house for me to show my face because they all nickered at me when I opened the guest bath blinds. It's so nice to be wanted. :smile:

Jason had to jump start his work truck at 6:00, dash temp read 20. We are so over winter. He said he hoped he could find something to keep him in the office today.

Mz how long does it take to warm the house with the stoves?

Paul had a followup appt. at 8:30 this morning but canceled. He's feeling so much better since he had the booster shots and been doing his nebulizer treatments. But he really needs to go back to work today...in my opinion... :surrender:

I bought him some very nice long underwear at Target to keep him warm tonight.

It takes a while! Like most of the day. The fires die down at night and the house gets pretty cold. Once you get the stoves rocking good, it still takes a while to warm the whole house. We have space heaters in the bedrooms and back here in my office. They are the oil radiators that work well but don't spin the electric meter. The one here in my office is an old one that only half works! GS came in a little while ago and said it is 16 on the porch! I so do not want to go out but will have to! Got my leggings on under my sweats today for sure!

Have you tried the silk long johns? I have had several pair that I dearly loved! Not real cheap but go under dress pants very well and are incredably warm! Nice thing is you can rinse them out at night, hang them on the shower rod and they are dry the next morning! I used to wear them to work in the winter when I was working.

So glad we bedded the chickens and turkeys well last night so I don't have to go out to feed this morning!

Currently 24 here. I'm glad it is going to start to warm up tomorrow. My PhD classes started today so I have to get back into school mode. I ended up renting one of my textbooks from Amazon so hope it goes well. I had to buy the other one as it had no rent option. I think my heater has stayed on most of the night and this morning. I'm so glad it is gas as electric gets expensive.

Peppy did you have to go back to work today? Doug did but I was so surprised Trace doesn't have to go back until Wednesday.

I hope the loaned book works for you and you can save on others that way. Cannot imagine what text books cost today!

Amanda gets her wedding photo CD today and will be choosing which ones she wants to get prints of. Her photog is a personal friend and is giving her a CD of all the photos that didn't make the cut. They usually do not give you those. She sent a few to Amanda who sent them to me today.

Love this one of Doug and Trace!

IMG_3926_zpsc88e3a03.jpg

Amanda and me talking about who knows what!

IMG_4539_zps2fd1063b.jpg

There's a 3 alarm fire down the road from us right now. I prayed it was a grass fire but I'm pretty sure it's a structure. The Entergy truck sped down there so I'm thinking they had to cut power to something.

Rubberneckers flooding down the road which dead ends! Despicable behavior in my opinion.

Walker Co. Sheriff is finally turning them away. They have no business down there what so ever, makes me sick.

Those are great pictures! Hope you post some of the ones that Amanda gets printed!

Hope the fire is nothing serious! Everything is so dry right now. Much as I don't want rain with the cold, we sure need more!

Well, the Ben boy broke his little toe and the bone just behind it. He was following a guy who tripped over a block of stone. When the stone fell over it landed on Ben's foot! He is wearing a boot right now but I don't think that will last too long! It was in a splint when he was here yesterday and last night. That sure didn't slow him down any!

The trip to DPS for GD's learner's permit was a wasted trip. As usual, we didn't have all the "correct" forms! So much for getting her permit while she was on Christmas break!

Very sad outcome on the house fire. It was the 116 year old restored farmhouse I thought it was. The heat lamp for their pets caused it and the pets all perished. The house was a total loss.

I am too sad for words over it. I just knew when I saw the owner speed by that it was his home.

Oh, that is horrible, QH! Bad enought to lose your house but your fur babies also. Hopefully insurance will rebuild the house but there is nothing that can replace the furries.

Don't know how cold it is outside here but it sure was chilly in the house. Bless GD, she rebuilt the living room woodstove fire before she left for school. So glad the holidays are over! Things will bo back to normal now. GD to her last semester of high school, hubby to work. Personally, I am ready for spring! I do not like cold! I can take off enough clothes and find enough water to stay cool but they don't make enough clothes for me when it is cold!

QH - That is sad news. The pics are great. I am not back at work quite yet QH, unless you count working from home.

Mz - I've taken to wearing my hat inside the house due to the chill. The house is at 70 but the wood floors let in the cold as well as the ancient windows.

Amanda said it was 18 at 6:45 this morning. Jason's was 16 an hour north.

Mz. I'm going to go look at the photo CD on Doug's computer and Amanda's going to email me the ones I want or, we'll send them right to Walgreens and pick the prints up later.

There's over 800 pics. Amanda said some of her favorites were taken by the photographers assistants. I am so happy someone was taking those kinds of shots because I feel like I missed visiting with most of our old friends at the reception. Would have been great to have clones of myself so I could have been every where at once.

Got the tree stripped, all decorations in one place to pack away. But I just know I will leave something out, I always do! :surrender:

Crazy story. Macy's has been calling Amanda to pick up her signed (by the artist) Waterford crystal flutes. Evidently when she picked them up on Thursday before the wedding, they mistakenly gave her unsigned ones. She was told when she bought them, the artist was coming to Macy's to sign all the flutes making them more valuable as collectors items.

But with wedding preps and the family flying in, she never noticed they weren't signed.

Macy's seem adamant that she get her signed flutes. But like she told them...the ones she has, whether signed or not...are too sentimental to her to give up because they toasted to their future with them.

She just let me know Macy's sent them an engraved Waterford crystal cross ornament and a card thanking them, I guess for being so nice about the mix up, and congratulating them on their marriage. Now that's classy!

Wow, that sure was nice of Macy's! Isn't there always something that turns up a couple of days after you pack away the holiday decorations? Doesn't matter what holiday, there is always something that should have gone in with them! I always find a couple of things.

This turned out to be a pits day! Got woke up by GS calling to tell me he was stuck in Manor with no gas. His paycheck didn't hit the bank like it should have! For some reason there was a 24 hour hold on all the paychecks! Then when I got online, I got the daily e-mail from the bank and instead of having money, we were overdrawn! I have the cash to cover it and will put it in when I go to Bastrop to have lunch with my SIL and a friend of hers. As I am leaving, I find a river running down the driveway! We broke a pipe to the faucet outside! So I run back in to turn off the outside water. The valve is broken. The only way to turn off the water is to turn off alllllllll the water! Picked up PVC cement at the store when I went to the bank, you can never find the cement when you need it, you know. Have a great lunch. Get home and start taking the pipe apart only to find out the bucket of fittings and pipe I have are 3/4 inch. The pipe I need to fix is 1/2 inch. Fortunately, the neighbors have 1.2 inch fittings. My front faucet is now about 4 inches above the ground! Will have to extend it come spring! Will also be replacing the shut off valves so they work next time we need them!

So while we are outside in the cold, we cover the a/c's to cut down on the drafts from them! I want spring NOW!!!!

Mz I hope you have a better day today! Plumbing problems are awful especially inside the house.

Sorry about the GS's toe! Been there done that. I subluxed one little toe kicking a suitcase and the other broke when a horse stepped on it.

I have to tell the people doing my pedicure to go easy on them lol

I bet GD was very bummed about not getting her test done. Happened to us a few times too. Hope the next try is a success.

Doug has replaced every faucet and spout in their house due to leaks. I don't think the former owner did a lick of maintenance the whole time he lived there and their water is very corrosive.

There is a new type of PVC type pipe that will not allow water to freeze. The plumber used it when we installed the new water heater on the back porch.

Paul said if we ever build again he's using it. Not that that will ever happen.

I need to get motivated. This cold has me acting like a bear and hybernating. Don't want to get out and do anything!

Well, we were fortunate that the frozen/broken pipe was outside! when we added onto the house, all the pipes for the water ended up on interior walls except for the where the main line comes in. We had 3 whole house water filters at one time back there. We need to pull those out and replumb that whole mess! But it can wait till spring!

Are Amanda and Doug on well water or commercial water? We had the water filters when we were on well water. The well pumped all kinds of sand and red clay. Not good for clothes, plumbing or water heaters!

So much I need to get done today! Need to get the laundry started, the kitchen cleaned up and the laundry room sorted out! Where does all the "stuff" on the floor come from? I swear it multiplies!

I am convinced the unsorted/unopened mail at my house does indeed reproduce!

Listen to this...I was unfortunate enough to be selected by the FDA in Washington DC to fill out a consumer survey. I threw the thing away. Now I am being harassed via the USPS weekly to fill it out and return it or face the consequences of a government worker calling and or showing up on my doorstep.

It's evidently is a very serious offense to ignore said survey. Read my lips...I do not care! It's in the land fill so what are they gonna do to me?!! I am in protest, they aren't going to make me do a **** thing I don want to do!

What I resent is being told I "must" cooperate or face consequences.

I dare them to show their face on my doorstep.

The kids have a neighborhood well for water and are on a septic system.

Mz - Glad your frozen pipe was outside. What a hassle though to deal with.

QH - A survey is optional in my opinion. Wonder why they are so persistent? Think the government has better things to do than make sure you do their survey.

School is going well. Getting back in the swing of things and trying to remember I have a course orientation via telephone tonight. I put out the bags of leaves yesterday for collection today and they weren't picked up. I'm not carting them back to the side yard so they can stay until they pick them up the next time. The city is already slacking in the new year it seems.

The painting is going. The dining room should be finished today and then on to the hall and bathroom. Then the spare bedroom and finally my bedroom. I will be so glad to have it all done. Looks like maybe next week it will be.

Peppy, I bet it looks great! Now you can have the fun of decorating! It is looking like it will be summer before I get any painting done here. Still waiting for hubby to finish the walls where he pushed the living room wall out to include part of the porch in the living room.

QH, you are such a criminal! How dare you ignore the government survey? What a waste of our money in my opinion! Have fun with them. Maybe they will show up on your doorstep. Then you could give them a piece of your mind in person!

Lol Mz it is so a waste of tax $'s. And their language is so threatening. I will save the next card I get in the mail and show you.

The survey was as thick as a book, it said it required 40 min. of my time and my response was required by law. I read some of the questions they asked about each individual in the household and because I truly couldn't answer most of the questions without an immense thinking process on my part, I tossed it in the trash!

Peppy I can't wait to see your house finished. You've done a great job of remodeling.

We needed the rain but it shot my plans down. I stayed in yesterday because of the wind and was going to Kroger today. Guess I'll go tomorrow instead.

I'm thinking I need a Trace fix more than groceries.

Well, yesterday turned out to be so much fun! Finally get a day I don't have to go anywhere. So many things I wanted to do! Girst I get a automated call that the Elgin school are on lockdown and "shelter in place"! All kids stay in class with all doors locked. Then get a text from GD that she is in the nurses office! Then another automated call that there has been a threat against the High School and are still on lockdown! About the time I get the call that it is all over and regular schedule is resuming, she texts me to come get her. Drive in in the rain to find everyone and their dog is there to pick up students! Have to fill out a form, give them my drivers license and wait for 30 minutes for them to get her as she went back to class! She has a stomach bug that has been going around! Now we will probably have it going around here. So not thrilled! Turns out some kid over in Bastrop threatened to shoot up the Elgin school! What are these kids thinking about? Mind boggling!