PeppySue

Texas People #6

I've just been reading about all the chemicals released by the refineries and the chemical plants in Houston. That's really a scary situation for the residents in addition to the losses they've already had.

TigerLilly, how is your Mom? Dickinson was hit hard too. Has she heard anything about her home in Port O'Connor?

Equi, that first attempt didn't work but I couldn't delete it.

Jubal, Danyel, it's those darn songs, I can never get through Arms of the Angels with dry eyes!

Charlie Diggs, the guy that made the video is a local to my area concert promotor. He's just a darn nice guy and humanitarian. He saved a ton of people with his boat. There's a video by the reporter with him of a very scary trip out with 27 people and animals on his boat where they fought currents to get back to the staging area. It could have easily ended with them turning over but his captain skills got them back safely.

Red, there are so many places to take large animals now, the need is shavings, buckets, medicines, bandaging etc. And volunteers to do it.

18 minutes ago, grimmie said:

TigerLilly, how is your Mom? Dickinson was hit hard too. Has she heard anything about her home in Port O'Connor?

Equi, that first attempt didn't work but I couldn't delete it.

Jubal, Danyel, it's those darn songs, I can never get through Arms of the Angels with dry eyes!

Charlie Diggs, the guy that made the video is a local to my area concert promotor. He's just a darn nice guy and humanitarian. He saved a ton of people with his boat. There's a video by the reporter with him of a very scary trip out with 27 people and animals on his boat where they fought currents to get back to the staging area. It could have easily ended with them turning over but his captain skills got them back safely.

Red, there are so many places to take large animals now, the need is shavings, buckets, medicines, bandaging etc. And volunteers to do it.

Here's to Charlie Diggs, a real humanitarian.

My husband's company gave $150,000 to the disaster relief fund for Texas, I thought that was pretty nice of them.

Gosh, people from all over, not knowing anyone, going to help, makes you feel good, knowing there's still so many good, decent people, when everything is in such turmoil.

On a lighter note,   I posted pictures of the male pups that I have to choose from, except, they're on pink's thread..... I didn't think before posting them, that I have my own....

Quote from the Company Owner's email he sent out Monday:

"

We don’t yet know exactly how many employees in the area have been affected. I saw a number this morning of 66. And what we know about that number is that it’s both preliminary and low, I’m sure. We’re going to help each one of them, no matter what that number climbs to.

We are also stepping up to aid our communities – the cities, towns and neighborhoods where we work, live and raise families. I am announcing today that Waste Management will make a $3 million donation to help with relief efforts. We will direct $1.5 million to the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund, established yesterday by Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner; $1 million to the American Red Cross; and the balance to regional relief efforts, specifically those in east and south Texas – communities like Victoria that have been devastatingly hit.

Yes, it’s a big number.  But the need is immense. Thanks to all of you who contribute to the WM Employees Care Fund; you are helping your co-workers put their homes and lives back together. Also, Texas is our home state and Houston is our home city; we’re going to help put that “home” back together as well."

Just got a panicked call from my aunt, apparently the post-hurricane gas price gouging and shortage panic has begun. 

SMDH. Freaks. 

I found a "Report gas price gouging" number and texted it to her, maybe she'll calm down. 

(In case anyone else sees major price increases, it's 1-800-621-0508, Texas Attorney General. )

Equi, I will be sure to find those pup pics! Many many thanks to your husband's company for the donation, that's a chunk of change!

Red, you see Waste Management here every where you turn, they have a big work force down here. Many thanks to them too. I think social media is causing these so called gas shortages, it's a matter of getting the fuel to distributors. People panic and hoard gas, if they'd just take what they need everything will be ok. The price gougers will be prosecuted. During the storm citizens were taking pics of price gougers and the stores/people doing it and sending them to the proper people for prosecution.

I'm so glad I sent Paul out Friday night to fill our tanks. He said people were from all over seeking gas because stations closer to Houston were out.

Our little local mom & pop stations are both out this morning. There were little old ladies with a bunch of gas cans at both stations when I left work last night. I just want to know who is gonna actually put those cans of gas IN their cars for them, as bad as they struggled to get them in their car trunks full.  Thought about helping them load them, but I just can't help someone who is feeding into the hype panic. I tried to tell them they are over reacting and CAUSING a shortage by filling 6 cans at a time. 

Whatever, I guess. 

We're already seeing higher gas prices in AZ even.  The little store in Mayer where we get out gas has gone up 12 cents since 5 days ago, and the Circle K across the road from that has gone up 15 cents in the same time period.  We filled one extra gas can because we need that for the weed whacker.

Checking in. How was everyone's Labor day? We drove up to our sons place and the kids shot skeet and barbequed ribs. Weather was nice, a few beers in the shade of an oak watching my family laugh, kid each other and have fun together is just what I needed. It felt amazing to get away from Harveys destruction, I wish I could offer that to the people suffering loss today. 

Paul called his brother this morning to check in, his wife broke down on the phone...they are completely broken. Dealing now with FEMA an insurance companies is a nightmare. They are staying with friends and haven't been allowed back in to start the clean up process, just to get some essentials they've done without. They have their contractor lined up to begin the rebuild so not being allowed back in is frustrating.

All because they are above Addicks reservoir which is still getting runoff from the western counties. Core of engineers will continue releasing water to prevent a breech, so all homes below will be flooded for weeks to come. Hundreds of homes are starting to come apart and crumble.

They lost one car, the other two that were higher in the garage, cannot be used until they are towed in and checked by a mechanic and all fluids changed. Henry is trying to find a rental car so he can get to work, my SIL is afraid they'll loose their home to repossession. We invited her here for a break but she won't leave one son who has a job and has learning disabilities and kidney disease, she has to monitor his diet etc. I love her and it's frustrating not being able to help her through this.

Time will take care of the personal belongings but these victims of Harvey will be reeling for a very long time to come. I've felt the affects of PTSD, it's a difficult road to navigate even when you know what you're dealing with.

I'll close with my view from yesterday.

FE759327-C214-4EFB-8EB2-2205DB41CE77.thumb.JPG.fe5840b0e40eb6e1e4bb76bb37a7e1d4.JPG913A74FB-0D1D-4CEE-9F16-B9A92F0F0377.thumb.JPG.24f03ce9a4dafab7cd5816481256afc9.JPG

I love the photos.  And I just can't imagine dealing with such devastating loss.  *thoughts/prayers* to all.

Our Labor Day weekend was spent with me at work Sat/Sun and husband home, then on Monday, husband was at work (people still want electricity!) and I was at home doing some chores.  I moved some pipe panel fencing, vacuumed the pool, grocery shopped and vacuumed the house.  Today I was going to ride with my best friend but weather says thunder storms and rain are coming and we didn't want to get caught in that so we canceled for today.

Bummer for the day?  I missed garbage pickup today.  Monday night is my "garbage to the curb" night .... and yesterday felt like a Sunday so I completely missed it.  Dangit!

QH,   Sorry for the stress that Harvey has caused for Paul's brother & SIL, I'm sure alot of people are in the same boat, & will be stressed for a while. Congress has to approve funding, & they can move slow at times.   Neat pictures you posted.  Best Wishes.  PD

Yesterday felt like Sunday to me, too, so I'll go through half of today, thinking it's Monday. 3 day weekends do that.

6 hours ago, equicrzy said:

Yesterday felt like Sunday to me, too, so I'll go through half of today, thinking it's Monday. 3 day weekends do that.

I know! Went to a birthday party on Saturday and no one there knew what day it was, weird how that storm threw everyone off.

Heidi, tonight is our trash to the curb and I just cleaned out the fridge so I could fit groceries in there. Paul may need the tractor bucket to get that can out there! Lol

Red just what we need is more rain. I hope this cooler system helps steers Irma away from the US and back out to sea. I refuse to entertain the thought it will make land fall.

14 hours ago, grimmie said:

Heidi, tonight is our trash to the curb and I just cleaned out the fridge so I could fit groceries in there. Paul may need the tractor bucket to get that can out there! Lol

You made me LOL!  

And I also hope Irma dissipates without harming anyone.

The little store in Mayer raised theirs another .02, and Circle Jerk raised theirs another .07.   Thank goodness all 3 of our vehicles have full tanks, and we alternate vehicles.  I use the truck for my job though every day (house painter).  All of my jobsites  are either here in Cordes, Arcosanti, or 8 miles away in Mayer, so I don't have to go too far.  I hope it dosen't get too much worse.  The Shell truck stop and the Chevron in Cordes have always been high priced, and they've gone up 10 cents to 2.79 a gallon for reg. unleaded.  We never get gas at either of those places.

On 9/9/2017 at 3:32 PM, Jan Griffiths said:

The little store in Mayer raised theirs another .02, and Circle Jerk raised theirs another .07.   Thank goodness all 3 of our vehicles have full tanks, and we alternate vehicles.  I use the truck for my job though every day (house painter).  All of my jobsites  are either here in Cordes, Arcosanti, or 8 miles away in Mayer, so I don't have to go too far.  I hope it dosen't get too much worse.  The Shell truck stop and the Chevron in Cordes have always been high priced, and they've gone up 10 cents to 2.79 a gallon for reg. unleaded.  We never get gas at either of those places.

Have you been in that underground-half in the side of a canyon Bio dome thingie? I remember seeing it from the parking lot of Cordes Junction gas station as a kid while they were building it, Dad wouldn't ever take us over there. I think I remember something about it never got finished, ran out of money or something, but I also heard it's a hippie commune also, so...

Ten days ago, the day a cool front blew in, Paul and I came down with the worst sinus infection I have ever experienced. I equate it to all the strep, bronchitis, tonsillitis and sinus infections I've ever had, all rolled into one. Paul saw the Dr. after a few days because of his lungs. I hate being on medication and thought I could tough it out but it got worse daily. Paul nagged me to the Dr. on Friday for a shot, antibiotics and codeine cough syrup which was worth getting the shot for since I burst a blood vessel in my eye during an uncontrollable coughing fit. God bless codeine, feels so good to sleep again. I'm still bummed about missing our week of cool weather being so sick.

Good morning! Wow our weather has been nice. We have been so busy with outside projects, I forget HC exists.

We have finally gotten the house level enough to remodel our master bath. Work begins Nov. 6. I am so dang excited I can't stand myself. We were told 3 weeks completion, it's going to be crazy having that demo going on in our bedroom. I'm going to cover everything with painters cloths and we're moving to the guest room.

Got some tile pics to share. We decided to replace the floor with tile planks. I've been wanting to use it somewhere.

Wall tile 

IMG_0510.thumb.JPG.14a622be776d25a69a5cdbfca80b1f6f.JPG

Floor 

IMG_0512.thumb.JPG.e227564617aab1a33af4d97129151da6.JPG

Accent tile

IMG_0513.thumb.JPG.1a624dab9cba8676d84a6481dbe370b9.JPG

Flooring tile

IMG_0515.thumb.JPG.eb3f2b1df6ee2b220dec5cb2ee5b70b1.JPG

Ooo, nice! I love all of it! Every day after the workers leave, you can take photos to show us how it goes. (Please.) I've been thinking about doing that for a couple years, but don't really want to deal with the process. But it would sure be nice to have a shower on the first floor.

Jubal, I promise to keep you in the loop.

Honestly, I had something completely opposite of this in mind but Paul couldn't picture anything other than this look. He never involves himself in the decorating choices I make so I wanted him to have what he wanted. Good thing is...because we have the worst mineral and rust laden water, I figure this tile would hide any of that and tie in well with our existing vanity and granite countertop.

We got new faucets to replace the chrome we have now and match the oil rubbed bronze fixtures he picked for the new shower. I will change out the sconce lights and try and spray paint the mounting hardware on the mirrors bronze.

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0516.JPG

8FAEF265-E56A-44BC-9973-02B16354390B.JPG

6588A152-18FA-4884-895E-D6CDD39540D4.JPG

IMG_1969.PNG

Thank you Heidi. 

Oh and we ordered a new front door that should be in any time now. I'm going to stain and seal it like my pine farm table. The hardware came today, I think it will give the house a real farm house look. 

IMG_1970.thumb.PNG.7aa270cf00a762290ac40c5cc9a7d82a.PNG

26ACDEA4-584A-4480-A37A-3E7A7E1301FA.thumb.JPG.7d7e741fd672190f05bbff3de31f4a53.JPG