PeppySue

Texas People #6

I love it!  I just stained/urethane'd my flatbed truck rails.  Now I want to do the step on the front door and I have unfinished bookcases coming in less than 3wks.  I'll need to pick a stain color for them.  The one (red mahogany) I used for the truck is too dark for what I want.

Heidi, I bet those truck rails looks nice. Any idea what stain you want on the new shelves? I love staining and refinishing wood but not stripping it so much. 

The wood floor in the library room is a reddish color and I'm not sure I want to matchy-match it.  I think I'd like a warm, honey-brown with a hint of red.

The floor is close to the Sedona Red color.  I might go with Red Chestnut or the lighter Gunstock. 
However .... I stained my truck rails with Red Mahogany and they turned out super-dark, like Ebony!  But in fairness, I applied the stain at night, with a sheepskin roller and didn't rub any excess off.  The wood was pressure treated and had been outside / on my truck for more than 6 months of drying and weathering.
With this in mind, I will test-try some spots on the back of the bookcases before I commit to a stain.  I might think the light red with darker red floor is too much.  In that case, I'd probably lean towards Golden Pecan or Colonial Maple.

What are your thoughts?  

Image result for minwax wood stain

2016 aac rails.jpg

Heidi, I can see what you were going for in my mind's eye... and I like the idea. 

However, this also looks nice, the dark ties in well with the headache rack and flatbed. 

(My grandpa stained my grandma's cherrywood table once... in the garage, at night... with walnut stain... then varnished it with like 5 coats...didn't wipe anything off. I thought she was gonna KILL him, lol!)

Wow Heidi, those rails came out very dark! I can't see that much of a contrast between the Sedona red and red chestnut. I prefer the gunstock with the Sedona red but I like contrast.

Between the colonial maple and golden pecan, I prefer the colonial maple, it's got a red tone that the golden pecan lacks to tie it into color of your floors. Doing the test stains will decide it for you though, so go for it.

Red, omg I would have skinned him alive! :bang_head: