PeppySue

Texas People #6

I love it!  I just stained/urethane'd my flatbed truck rails.  Now I want to do the step on the front door and I have unfinished bookcases coming in less than 3wks.  I'll need to pick a stain color for them.  The one (red mahogany) I used for the truck is too dark for what I want.

Heidi, I bet those truck rails looks nice. Any idea what stain you want on the new shelves? I love staining and refinishing wood but not stripping it so much. 

The wood floor in the library room is a reddish color and I'm not sure I want to matchy-match it.  I think I'd like a warm, honey-brown with a hint of red.

The floor is close to the Sedona Red color.  I might go with Red Chestnut or the lighter Gunstock. 
However .... I stained my truck rails with Red Mahogany and they turned out super-dark, like Ebony!  But in fairness, I applied the stain at night, with a sheepskin roller and didn't rub any excess off.  The wood was pressure treated and had been outside / on my truck for more than 6 months of drying and weathering.
With this in mind, I will test-try some spots on the back of the bookcases before I commit to a stain.  I might think the light red with darker red floor is too much.  In that case, I'd probably lean towards Golden Pecan or Colonial Maple.

What are your thoughts?  

Image result for minwax wood stain

2016 aac rails.jpg

Heidi, I can see what you were going for in my mind's eye... and I like the idea. 

However, this also looks nice, the dark ties in well with the headache rack and flatbed. 

(My grandpa stained my grandma's cherrywood table once... in the garage, at night... with walnut stain... then varnished it with like 5 coats...didn't wipe anything off. I thought she was gonna KILL him, lol!)

Wow Heidi, those rails came out very dark! I can't see that much of a contrast between the Sedona red and red chestnut. I prefer the gunstock with the Sedona red but I like contrast.

Between the colonial maple and golden pecan, I prefer the colonial maple, it's got a red tone that the golden pecan lacks to tie it into color of your floors. Doing the test stains will decide it for you though, so go for it.

Red, omg I would have skinned him alive! :bang_head:

Latest pics of little Lyra, she looks just like her daddy. We get more excited every day to have her earthside.

Still no front door...dang hurricane back log! I’m concerned now it will be in before Thanksgiving, we have a crowd coming. Guy coming tomorrow to give us an estimate on fixing the buckled floor. Please Lord let that happen before Turkey day.

Demo on our bathroom starts Monday, can’t wait! When that’s done we’re seriously considering redoing the guest bath and doing away with the claw foot tub for a jetted tub. I don’t know, I’m not a bath person, Paul has some time to convince me of that.

54E546F0-2280-41D2-8E0E-98D3D1E7C439.jpeg

2826898B-4CFE-485F-A0F8-5B2FF0380090.jpeg

6D9699BF-45BA-456B-AC7D-D724646488F7.jpeg

I do NOT recommend a jetted tub unless you use it every day.  

The house we bought has a jetted tub in the master bath and the first time we filled it with water and turned on the jets .... all this BLACK CRAP (algae) came out of the jets and into the tub!  We have since scrubbed the tub, filled with water and bleach to run through the lines and it doesn't matter what we do, every time the jets are turned on, black stuff comes out.  

I have not used the tub at all.  I cannot.  I will not.

I want to replace it with a non-jetted tub so I can use it with peace-of-mind about knowing there will be no algae.

I have a Jacuzzi that came with the house. It looks like one of the first ones made. I only use it if I'm sick or have very sore muscles--so only a couple times a year. No black stuff. Never has been. And this house is over 20 years old. I'm not a bath person either, but when I do use it, it's very soothing.

Heidi, are you sure the black stuff is algae/mold?

Edited by jubal

I have no clue what it is.  I just know I don't want to be anywhere near it and refuse to use the tub until it is replaced.

Thanks for the heads up, will do some research to see what the recommendations are and if our water system will help prevent black slime.

But I’d rather focus on the new life we’re about to bring into our lives.

18 hours ago, Heidi n Q said:

I have no clue what it is.  I just know I don't want to be anywhere near it and refuse to use the tub until it is replaced.

I think, it starts with a buildup of soap and other bath products a person might use in the tub.....then, it sits there and, becomes the black disgusting stuff you're seeing...by that time, it is an algae and whatever else has grown.

I have a jetted tub and, have only used it twice, when it was new, the last time I went to take a relaxing soak, turned on the jets and, was suddenly surrounded by all of this floating black stuff..... I don't think I even touched the sides of the tub as I lept out.

I have since ran bleach through it, but, haven't used it since.

Edited by equicrzy

That was an interesting link but I think I'm still going to replace the tub with a solid one and no jets.  I do enough maintenance on the pool, I just want to scrub the tub and be done.

We talked to our contractor about these issues. He moved into a home with a jetted tub. Before using it, he performed the suggested maintenance, he got no black slime and assumed the former owners either never used it or had maintained it. They use and maintain theirs and have had no problem. The tub Paul wants has removable jets you put in the dish washer. 

Niiice!  Having removable jets that can go in the dishwasher sounds like an easy-care solution.  

I'm still getting rid of my tub.  It's been contaminated.  LOL

Edited by Heidi n Q

I'm not sure just cleaning the jets is good enough, what about the  lines running to those jets?  Gunk could surely back up into those....no?

I'm sure the lines and filter still need to have solution run through them to prevent buildup but being able to put the jets in the dishwasher is an easy-care solution for them.

We have been consumed by this bathroom Reno. All tile work is complete. Plumber comes Monday to install the new fixtures, toilet and move the vanity back in and install the new faucets. We picked paint colors and paint is mixed and waiting. I bought powdered bronze spray paint for the mirror mounts, they are just 3 years old and We are not willing to replace.

Monday another contractor starts on the bedroom, removing the French doors walling it in and framing the window. That wall will be ship lap and the antique fireplace will go on the ship lap wall.

Found an antique wood mantle to go in our bedroom. It needs some work, not sure if I’ll leave it white, distress it some more, paint or strip it.. All the Sheetrock cracks from leveling will be fixed, I fear we will be painting for a year!. I stained one side of a sliding barn door to hang at the entrance to the bathroom. 

Buckled wood floor from leveling is repaired. 

New front door is STILL not in! After 5 weeks, the door came in and they had ordered the wrong size! Paul was livid! Now the correct sized door is almost two weeks over due.

And I miss my bed!

My daughter’s baby shower is Dec. 2. That planning has kept me busy and my energy will switch from Reno to baby shower this week. One month and 27 days until we meet our new Grand daughter.

On to pics!

53D1E1E6-660A-4FE5-809A-B5A303D87387.jpeg

BC8358AE-052D-4713-85C4-0FD17C42DB7C.jpeg

1D37B95B-A9E9-41B8-A7E9-DC944A11DA09.jpeg

97676913-7FC0-4C67-826C-2BC301E9675A.jpeg

2 hours ago, jubal said:

Your shower is so pretty, QH. I'd stay in there until there was no more hot water!

I plan too!! :jump: 

Know what I am most looking forward to...being able to sit on the bench and shave my legs fully stretched out. No more standing on one leg. 

The contractor is going to paint both rooms for us for $300, that is the best deal I’ve heard in a long time!

Just finished staining the sliding barn door that will replace the bathroom door. When it’s dry I’ll put a coat of wax on it and then it’s ready to hang.

8B0E322D-0A82-4EB0-93CB-2D66E1F4172E.jpeg

Thank you!

I prepared myself for the typical contractor MO but the reality of it is more frustrating. Been a week since anything has been done in the bathroom. There is like 2 days work left, just show up please and finish before I kill myself in this claw foot tub!

The bedroom remodel was supposed to happen this week but is moved back to end of the week or Saturday. But he promised to be done by Christmas...where have I heard that before?

Ohmygosh, I forgot to mention, grandson wanted to ride after Thanksgiving dinner. I did some groundwork with Paisley and tacked her up, we all rode her and she hasn’t forgotten a thing. It’s probably been 8 months since I rode her. As soon as this remodel and baby shower are over, she’s coming out of retirement.

Busy week, have to grocery shop today, pick up a few last minute things for the shower, buy feed and haul Moon and my daughter’s old guy Cash to the Vet for teeth floating this afternoon. And I started decorating for Christmas.

Hope everyone has a great week.

I love that type of door, the barn, rustic look is perfect for my decorating idea for the house I designed and, plan to build sometime in the, hopefully, not too far future, it'll also be the master bathroom door. The first time I saw the sliding door on a house plan, I vowed it would be incorporated into my plan.

Your new bathroom is gorgeous, QH.

Equi your present home looks like a dream home already. We got a great deal on the barn door and hardware at a door clearance center in Houston. Door and hardware errabout the same price that Home Depot charges for just the door.

My front door came in FINALLY!! It's gorgeous. I ordered a lighter stain wax than used on my table because the mahogany is darker than pine. Our contractor said I can get by without sealing with polycrylic because it's such a hard wood. Music to my ears because I want the look of buffed wax. If I feel like it on Sunday, I will work on it if not, the contractor said he won't hang it til end of the week. Have to stain the door and frame so it's going to be a long process. This time, I will not be buffing by hand. Going to look for an attachment like they buff cars with. My shoulders were completely useless after finishing my table.

Baby shower is tomorrow. We worked until 7:00 last night on the diaper cake, favors, decorations etc. I was in bed by 9:00 and up at 5:00 am. What is with this 7 hrs. sleep, then wide awake crap?!!

Plumber will be done today. Gosh I can't wait to be done with this process.

I've goofed off enough. Need to shop for the fruit platters and dips then prep and pack all my glassware in the car for tomorrow. Pics to follow.

Diaper Cake is a baby shower gift made out of commonly needed baby supplies (mainly diapers) in the shape of a cake.

Image result for diaper cake