PeppySue

Texas People #6

Jubal, they do come in handy. It got too hot to finish but we accomplish the heavy work. He helped me load the tractor bucket with flat rock for the steps. Tonight when it cools off I will lay them out and mortar them.

Hello PD :smileywavey:

Grimmie, if you want Horse City on your phone, Google Horse City from your phone and scroll to the bottom of the page and click Mobile version.

Edited by Danyel

On 5/26/2018 at 6:02 PM, Danyel said:

Grimmie, if you want Horse City on your phone, Google Horse City from your phone and scroll to the bottom of the page and click Mobile version.

Thank you so much!!! You just triggered my memory. I had it on a previous phone but it didn’t transfer when I upgraded several phones ago.

How was everyone’s Memorial Day? We got together on Sunday, son helped his dad put a new mailbox up. A car load of teens destroyed it with a bat several years ago. We’ve nursed it along until the mail lady started hinting it needed replacing. Bought one large enough for boxes.

Thought I’d ask ya’ll what you use for flea prevention that actually works. I’ve tried 4 different topical treatments and nothing has worked on Gracie this summer. Not even Revolution or Advantage from the Vet.

Grimmie, I use Bravecto for fleas. It is an oral med (my dogs don't seem to mind the taste) it lasts for 3 months. I give it to the dogs in May and never see a flea the rest of the summer. It is kind of expensive but if one dose works all summer, I'm saving money. The topical stopped working. Forgot to say that it kills ticks also. We had a bad flea problem before I used this.

Edited by Danyel

3 hours ago, Danyel said:

Grimmie, I use Bravecto for fleas. It is an oral med (my dogs don't seem to mind the taste) it lasts for 3 months. I give it to the dogs in May and never see a flea the rest of the summer. It is kind of expensive but if one dose works all summer, I'm saving money. The topical stopped working. Forgot to say that it kills ticks also. We had a bad flea problem before I used this.

Sounds great! Is it prescription?

Grimmie, I guess it is a prescription. I buy it from my vet's. I just walk in and ask for it.

16 hours ago, Danyel said:

Grimmie, I guess it is a prescription. I buy it from my vet's. I just walk in and ask for it.

I figured it was after not finding it on Chewy. Thing about getting anything from my vet. My beloved low cost old school Vet retired and sold his practice. The two new vets raised their rates and have strict policies about doing rechecks for heart worms once a year before they’ll renew your prescriptions. I have 3 animals on prevention and I cannot afford to do that much blood work, pay their high rates for vacs and our cats Rx food for uti’s. We just can’t afford it. Time to find a new vet. 

Lyra went to the pool yesterday for the first time and wore herself out  

C8CCCFB4-A3A6-40F7-9CDC-B47A8393E4C1.thumb.jpeg.ba0dafcaf359418d0e007d6d1b3760b0.jpeg

52D12C2B-1585-4B22-BD60-16999FBD36B3.thumb.jpeg.50002618b916d5444081ca533296e0b3.jpeg

We've had an awful flea problem since we moved into this house 2yrs ago.  Topicals and spraying the interior just weren't doing it.  I finally broke down and bought Seresto flea collars - holy COW were they expensive!  I only bought 4, cut them into thirds and used my jewelry making skillz to attach them to adjustable nylon collars.  They've been wearing them just under 4wks and after the 1st week, I haven't seen any fleas.  
The premise is for the cats to wear the collars for the full 8mo effectiveness.  It kills fleas on the cats but also renders the later hatching fleas sterile when they lay their eggs.  So we just need to wait out the cycle of all the eggs to hatch and become sterile until there are no more eggs that can hatch at all and then keep us flea-free for a period of time before I try removing the collars.
*I detest putting collars on cats, especially indoor kitties.  My deaf one is the only one I keep a collar on so I can hear where she is.

Heidi, those collars are pricey but if they work in pieces it’s doable. What is the best source for them?

The vet charged $74 per collar.  Amazon has them for about $50 for large dogs - and I figure I can get up to 5 or 6 collars out of one of them!

On 6/4/2018 at 7:29 PM, Heidi n Q said:

The vet charged $74 per collar.  Amazon has them for about $50 for large dogs - and I figure I can get up to 5 or 6 collars out of one of them!

Chewy wanted $54. Question...how can I treat her hot spots in between baths? They have a yeasty smell. 

Pics because :D

btw she’s up to 12#’s now. Her Dr said add cereal to her diet, they tried it once, she liked it but they really didn’t want to introduce food this early so my daughter has added healthy fats to her diet.   She’s gained weight too but she considers it a good trade off  

4BEC6EBB-370A-468B-BF88-2C0EFD0D0C75.thumb.jpeg.e3df037a7236e5c33efa74ac4e8ed5cb.jpeg

86464831-5B69-4F4A-A8CD-348527329B69.thumb.jpeg.98cc8efe86b9ca4d1eecd4c5b3f76588.jpeg

Grimmie, your grandbaby is a doll!

You can treat the hot spots with an over the counter antibiotic powder for dogs. Be sure to keep them dry and trim the hair if it is long. Neosporin is OK to use but my dog licked it off.

My kitty Bruce got a hot spot and I put a soft E-collar on her and took her to the vet for a steroid shot.  They shaved around her spot and it healed quickly but the hair seems to be taking forever to come back in.  I may try Danyel's advice with the next hot spot rather than paying for a vet visit - but if it doesn't work, it'll be the vet for us.

Bruce is a girl kitty.  She had a girl name but husband kept calling her a shark and the shark in Jaws (and Finding Nemo) was named Bruce, and it stuck, so she's Bruce.  I joke that we should call her Caitlyn.

Heidi, that’s a cute story how Bruce got her name.

We’ve been getting a good soaking since yesterday. Enjoying a reprieve from moving the hose all over the yard to water the new trees.

Lyra turns 5 months today. Every day she does something new and cuter.

6695C9A6-777F-4EAF-8864-78EDC6278E68.thumb.jpeg.8c628a4af4aceac3ea06c7bc8091fbda.jpeg

A3597B08-9403-4F3D-8B78-AD7CB702D0D3.thumb.jpeg.e1b5c7c415463d0f91eab0cb826edbd2.jpeg

32885631-273D-4906-8E57-616D13D3AE0A.thumb.jpeg.226f86923e8c4bb3d2052d70436b03e2.jpeg

0736419E-48C3-461A-BB23-C71767D2F42E.thumb.jpeg.d7bd34dd09aa673ccee7bbf777b55934.jpeg

She is the spittin image of her daddy.  :wub:

Adorable Lyra pics!  

I've been dragging 250' of hoses this summer to keep my new trees watered.  I lost a couple trees last year when I was in CA for 6wks of the summer.  I'm being careful so I don't lose any this year.

QH,  Very neat pictures of Lyra & family, she definitely does steal the show in those pictures, but it looks like both big brother & dad are very proud of her.   Best Wishes.  PD

On 6/18/2018 at 9:49 PM, Heidi n Q said:

Adorable Lyra pics!  

I've been dragging 250' of hoses this summer to keep my new trees watered.  I lost a couple trees last year when I was in CA for 6wks of the summer.  I'm being careful so I don't lose any this year.

There's got to be a better way right! We got tired of replacing cheap hoses that last a couple seasons. We bought heavy rubber hoses that weigh a ton. I can't lift or pull them around because my lefT shoulder, it's become debilitating so it's time to have it looked at. :(

PD, did you plant a veggie garden this summer? Have you ridden lately?

We just had 4 days of heavy rain. My daughter and SIL were about to go shopping this morning and went out to this. They've done so much professional tree work to prevent damage like this :surrender:from trees. I'm relieved the baby wasn't in the car at the time. I was parked in that exact spot yesterday. I'd much rather it had been my old car than theirs. Thankfully there was no body damage.

8ECC9156-F0BE-4D3A-A019-F0F6F3B2A843.thumb.jpeg.b33f31785a7f01465726a77919872bc5.jpeg

That limb through the car window looks scary!  I'm glad no one was in it when it happened. 

I have the monster, heavy hoses, too.  I work hard to NOT get kinks in them because I want them to last.  I think I may look into burying drip irrigation lines...