PeppySue

Texas People #6

This was my other mares wound right after it happened and before it turned into a wreck. Those wound pics are in a Photobucket album, not sure if I can access them. That splint made all the difference in the world to aid healing.

50D11B41-7444-4977-9484-A0D306D2B8EA.jpeg.302276013560abae8dec748ee5b23283.jpeg637696CD-DD3D-4270-A766-FFD21E6716E2.jpeg.f60ac9584bf93d3a12adb27c598e9dc9.jpeg

I wonder if we used the same kind of cream? You just put it on the raw spot not on any healing tissue? That is what we did with our cream. His fetlock/foot is completely healed skin now but that half of it is "way taller" than the other side. Probably always will be! I will try to post a picture but I generally have issues with that. It always tells me my picture is too big. (I don't use photobucket anymore.)

well, the photos uploaded, now if they will only post!

IMG_1881.JPG

IMG_1842.JPG

My mares looks somewhat like that at the last wound care. Vet said it looked good and switched her to dermavet ointment. 

Correction on the cream she was on, I called it a sulfa drug it wasn’t, it was silvadene. I am so bad with medication names. 

Here is what I’m dealing with now, like yours, just that huge mound of tissue infer the original cut which I assume is inflammation. 

Anyone want to chime in here, will that ever flatten? 

2F9D24D9-1180-404E-B8B2-E8BCB0A083FD.jpeg

5C8F7A2E-A343-40FD-949D-63D83A23A548.jpeg

3C353502-3732-4D51-B0BB-867CE1CF7BC8.jpeg

I’m thankful the swelling is not posterior. And Vet said turnout with light bandage. I’m thinking the movement will be good for the joint and surrounding tissue. She sure was a happy camper when I let her go. 

I think it will flatten out with time but it may not be like it was pre-injury.
As wounds heal, the flesh tends to "mound up" while the body is sending its resources to heal it.  After the wound has healed, those extra resources slowly dissipate and the flesh will go down, leaving behind the scar.

I noticed this with cat spay incision sites.  During the healing process they would have (what appeared to me) to be a huge lump under the skin.  At first, I thought it was irritation at the stitches, but when I contacted my vet with my concern and she said she used glue .... I realized it was the body's response to the injury.  I've noticed with every female cat I've had spayed, they develop that lump while it heals and after several months, it slowly goes away and their belly is smooth.
Heck, I even noticed my own belly healing the same way after my abdominal surgery.  LOL

Heidi I know exactly what you’re talking about. It does that with my female spays too. 

The wound looked amazing at the last bandage change. The dermavet is doing the job. 

We’re going to Michigan in a few weeks and I need her to be healed enough to not need bandaging. 

I'll cross my fingers that it heals in time for your trip!

I googled Dermavet and think I need some for my pet-care cabinet.  

Traeper seems to be doing good with his injury. No more bandaging and we have ridden him around the farm and in the roundpen/arena, no limping. His still isn't pretty. I think that it will never have hair there again, but as long as it doesn't break open we will be good!

On 4/12/2019 at 12:52 PM, grimmie said:

My mares looks somewhat like that at the last wound care. Vet said it looked good and switched her to dermavet ointment. 

Correction on the cream she was on, I called it a sulfa drug it wasn’t, it was silvadene. I am so bad with medication names. 

Here is what I’m dealing with now, like yours, just that huge mound of tissue infer the original cut which I assume is inflammation. 

Anyone want to chime in here, will that ever flatten? 

2F9D24D9-1180-404E-B8B2-E8BCB0A083FD.jpeg

5C8F7A2E-A343-40FD-949D-63D83A23A548.jpeg

3C353502-3732-4D51-B0BB-867CE1CF7BC8.jpeg

You have some proud flesh building up there. Not as bad as it could have been. Your vet will have a treatment to reduce that.

On 4/17/2019 at 12:04 PM, Heidi n Q said:

I'll cross my fingers that it heals in time for your trip!

I googled Dermavet and think I need some for my pet-care cabinet.  

Heidi, I know exactly what you’re talking about. Had it happen with my female spays too. 

Heidi, the dermavet is amazing, it  has reduced the pf, it’s flat and smooth now, I’m down to just spraying with alushield. 

Out trip has been postponed until July. The dealer wasn’t able to install another AC so we ordered the same model with dual AC and a few upgrades. We’ll be camping mostly in Texas and will need all the AC we can get especially in summer. 

Had a wonderful Easter. Hid eggs for Lyra. Every time she picked up an egg she had to walk over and show it off to the her Daddy uncle and brother. 

858EE084-6CC3-4A5D-8428-3C26BF66A20F.thumb.png.3252631201e0e436f4411662393d49eb.png

F0E91673-D6D5-4F0C-8451-16441F0A8500.jpeg

C02CA9B6-E236-4E2E-AA0A-4CEF47B62201.jpeg

grimmie -  Last week we took Traeper back to "the scene of the crime", the Trail ride where he got injured last year. We had no strange horses close to his stall, so everything was good. I believe that I can start peeling some of that mound of dead skin off his injury site now. I didn't want to do it there so I've waited till we got home again to start picking at it.

On 5/20/2019 at 10:42 PM, DancinDreaminKid said:

grimmie -  Last week we took Traeper back to "the scene of the crime", the Trail ride where he got injured last year. We had no strange horses close to his stall, so everything was good. I believe that I can start peeling some of that mound of dead skin off his injury site now. I didn't want to do it there so I've waited till we got home again to start picking at it.

Will he let you soak it in a bucket of warm water and epsom salt to loosen the scab? I’ve always scrubbed wounds to debride and get it to bleed. 

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying summer so far. 

Paul and I are back on the Whole30 auto immune protocol diet. I lost 4 lbs the first week. But it starts getting hard after a week. Feel better though, pain from inflammation is so much less, I can turn over in bed now without groaning.

Grandson graduated last Saturday.  He doesn’t know what he wants to do yet which is ok, he’s def not college bound but leaning toward a trade.

Trace Lyra and his dad  E589E93D-85E4-4FAE-9C8E-C366FE41C8DA.thumb.jpeg.1045b62df39fa2da00617f6022b5197c.jpeg

Lyra crammed that entire roll in her mouth after I took this pic 9D299612-1C2B-4235-B766-6A89A3AD5C00.thumb.jpeg.0d6da0e2a173c7128daa5d54aa0bd05d.jpeg

our daughter, Trace and son. 5F0E5A91-38F3-4E24-A3C0-71DADA2AABF1.thumb.jpeg.9da9ea0d843c381ea228e69dff3dbaf9.jpeg

Bug is getting so big. He stares longingly out the window but still won’t go outside.0E4FF78A-55C6-4AB4-ADB3-FF4FFFC012D5.thumb.jpeg.d1cc7abe9eb9394765fce5241b7ec37b.jpeg

Nice to see you, QH. I was worried about you with all the tornadoes,  and Danyel too.

Congratulations to Trace!  That Lyra! She's so cute and going to be so spoiled.

My kitty was traumatized early in life too. If I open an outside door, she runs. If it's the front door, she hides under the couch

Jubal, thanks for the concern. We are fine so far. Tornadoes have been numerous. One hit within a 1/2 mile from my house. Flooding is the problem now! We had 18 inches of rain this month. 

I think of you and QH every time they show tornadoes in TX and OK which is most every day. Surely it will stop soon. Stay safe.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 11:16 AM, grimmie said:

Will he let you soak it in a bucket of warm water and epsom salt to loosen the scab? I’ve always scrubbed wounds to debride and get it to bleed. 

It is not a "wound" any longer, just a mound a dry tissue that peels off the injury site. Much of it has come off. We ponied him out twice and rode him twice while we were out on the weeklong vacation. Then we went to Land Between The Lakes in Kentucky for Memorial Weekend and took him along for a friend to ride. Seems like working is helping it return to some semblance of normal. He is doing good this year.

On 6/3/2019 at 10:21 PM, DancinDreaminKid said:

It is not a "wound" any longer, just a mound a dry tissue that peels off the injury site. Much of it has come off. We ponied him out twice and rode him twice while we were out on the weeklong vacation. Then we went to Land Between The Lakes in Kentucky for Memorial Weekend and took him along for a friend to ride. Seems like working is helping it return to some semblance of normal. He is doing good this year.

Good to hear. Paisley’s is looking good, the swelling under the wound is slowly going away. Thankfully she has no joint involvement.

Our RV came in, we’re heading to pick it up in Grand Rapids Michigan this Monday. Lots to do before then. Grandson is house/pet sitting for us. I am soooo relieved he can do that for us. No one I trust more and the animals adore him. He’s supposed to be making a food list so I can stock up, don’t want the boy to go hungry while he’s here. 

This baby LOVES balloons and does not let them go. She held on to that balloon for 3 hrs. 

Jutting chin puckered lips is her new thing! She is a mess!  :rotf:

2C3AEBD5-24B6-4716-BEE7-4655FC3A4805.jpeg

4258EBD8-DE60-4D3B-9554-2557F82A0812.jpeg

A838B381-1ADA-47F9-96BC-8AD14EABE1BF.jpeg

873B9EFD-FCF2-4053-8574-5D538941E031.jpeg

Wouldn't you love to know what they're thinking?! That look in the second to last photo!

Where will you go on your first trip?

Edited by jubal

20 hours ago, jubal said:

Wouldn't you love to know what they're thinking?! That look in the second to last photo!

Where will you go on your first trip?

Haha I wonder that about her all the time. 

Not sure where we will go first, we have plenty of time to plan. We have two birthdays and a graduation to celebrate in July when we get back from California. Planning a big fish fry here at the house for that on July 13.

Will probably plan a trip within a days drive from here, could be Arkansas, eastern Oklahoma. I want to go back to NM and Sedona AZ. but that will be for another year.

Have plans in Sept. to meet friends on Dauphin Island Alabama.

On 6/14/2019 at 4:22 PM, jubal said:

^^^Ain't retirement grand?!

Yes it is!!  :wub:

We had to cancel our Michigan trip for this week. The dealership is so busy they couldn’t guarantee the make ready would be done this week. Next week won’t give us time to go and come back before we leave for Cali on the 1st. So, choices..have them deliver it second week in July or we go get it after Jason and Traces party on the 13th least that way we could use it coming back. All depends on how we feel I suppose.

Grandson landed an entry level job here in town at a machine shop. Pretty sure he’ll end up moving here to his dads which is 6 mi out of town, the commute from our daughters is 25 mi. and he starts at 6:30 am. His mom will not have an easy time with that, she’s kind of clingy. I was never that way with them, long as they met curfew I let em go! 

He’ll enjoy the 1 mi commute when he house sits for us in July. 

Lots of rain Sunday, we needed it but our cool weather has left us.