PeppySue

Texas People #6

14 hours ago, jubal said:

I heard it could be felt in Sacramento, but I didn't think it would be strong enough to affect  a pool that far north. Any shaking at all would freak me out!

There were reports of pool water  in El Paso Tx reacting. 

It’s been an interesting week. Had our sons BD party on Saturday. He brought his mini bike, everyone rode it and then as men will do, they decided to make a ramp. Son landed wrong, broke his tibia in 2 places. He’s had 3 surgeries in 3 1/2 days. The calf muscle spasms and swelling were so bad they had to do an emergency fasciotomy to prevent nerve damage to the lower leg, warning us skin grafts might be needed to close it at a later date. Second surgery was to close the fasciotomy which was a success without grafts and yesterday they plated and pinned the head of the tibia and removed the external fixation hardware. 

He comes home here with us tomorrow and cannot bend the leg for 2 wks. then goes back to remove sutures and get orders for rehab. He’ll be out of work at least 3 mo. That’s going to devastate him financially. I feel certain they will hold his job though but being he has to climb ladders on oil tanks for readings, I don’t know how he can possibly fulfill his duties for a while. He’s kicking himself for not taking the supervisor position he was offered, he’d be better off when he went back to work. 

This is so much harder than Paul’s ordeal, he’s my baby, I want so badly to take his place and bear the pain and hard times ahead. 

9C521E82-8684-4383-8DA8-286D386F6070.jpeg

C015FAE9-DB2B-4BE1-A11F-7A607004FCA2.jpeg

C0D9B979-4050-4A6E-A770-3542E54C1D2C.jpeg

3D724749-5B6B-4A1E-B99B-480702A22B84.jpeg

*shudders* and yells: Aaaaauuuuuuurgh!  That looks painful, though it appears he will heal well.  I'm sorry it is going to take the time it takes for him to get back to 100%.  I'm sure that's worrisome and frustrating.

1 hour ago, noponies said:

Kid with hands on hips telling Dad "why you do dumb things?"

:rotf:That’s what this mama was thinking. If I had been out there I would have said oh he!! no you ain’t doin that! He said a little voice told him don’t do it and he ignored it. What a way to turn 40.  

The orthopedic PA put it into perspective, said he loves his job because most of the people he treats were living life to the fullest.

There are 2 videos of the wreck from two different angles. I can’t bring myself to watch them yet. 

That's painful to look at!  I can't imagine. I guess you can always play the "it could have been worse" scenario. It could have been something that couldn't be pinned (like his brain.) I'm sorry for him but men...

Yes it can always be worse, the skin grafts would have been so much worse. Much better to have broken bones than nerve or spinal damage too.  

He’s home with us now. He had a bad day and night but seems as if the leg is settling down now. I feel he will be here longer than I thought he would be. Car transfers are extremely difficult with a leg that doesn’t bend. The long drive home, bumpy country roads and the porch stairs into his house will have to wait a while. 

Cooked dinner for the fam last night and was up last night on medication duty, I am pooped but we’ll be a fine tuned machine in a few days. 

Whew!  Sounded like a mountain of obstacles to overcome but it seems you guys are getting a handle on things pretty quickly.  I'm sorry he had a bad day and night, those are no fun for anyone.  The person with the pain is feeling it and everyone around them is 'feeling' it too, but mostly wishing they could take the pain away.  It is a pretty helpless feeling, no matter which side of the pain you're on.  (((hugs for all)))

On 7/20/2019 at 1:51 PM, Heidi n Q said:

Whew!  Sounded like a mountain of obstacles to overcome but it seems you guys are getting a handle on things pretty quickly.  I'm sorry he had a bad day and night, those are no fun for anyone.  The person with the pain is feeling it and everyone around them is 'feeling' it too, but mostly wishing they could take the pain away.  It is a pretty helpless feeling, no matter which side of the pain you're on.  (((hugs for all)))

Yes I definitely feel his pain. Wished several times I could take his place. 

He’s doing so much better, pain and muscle spasms have decreased. He fell Saturday night. Those **** crutches!!! Why they sent him home with those when he’s on 3 medications that make him dopey. I’ve been advocating for him to use Paul’s walker it gives him more stability. Thank the Lord the leg wasn’t compromised. He’s using the walker now and I can breathe a little better especially at night when he gets up by himself.

We Took him home yesterday for clean clothes, get his mail, and water his plants without stirring up any pain. Today our daughter is making us lunch. Be great to see my Lyra, haven’t been able to since becoming a care taker again. 

Weather is fantastic today, mid 70’s and 50% humidity. Makes me anxious for fall trip planning. 

Girl found her pockets and sampled fast food for the first time. 

A1D46863-500C-4285-A19B-F52448864A5E.jpeg

9FFF6FBF-3AA5-4021-8E19-F8316CEE9468.jpeg

Grimmie - that was a doozy!  Hope your son heals quickly and of course, Lyra is such a cutie-pie! 

How you gonna keep 'em down on the farm, once they've had fried food?! Pretty soon she'll be addicted to the golden arches. Kudos to your daughter for protecting her until now! Love the hands in pockets look.

On 7/26/2019 at 7:11 PM, jubal said:

How you gonna keep 'em down on the farm, once they've had fried food?! Pretty soon she'll be addicted to the golden arches. Kudos to your daughter for protecting her until now! Love the hands in pockets look.

Lol, nope never Golden Arches! Her Dad loves to cook so they rarely eat out, kid loves healthy food, LOVES veggies any way she can get them. She still can’t eat much dairy protein and fruit like blueberries and bananas bother her. But what is so good about her is she doesn’t put up a fuss if she’s refused anything. Just takes it in stride and moves on. Her brother was that way too. 

Just sent our son home. I wanted to drive him home and Paul drive his truck but he wasn’t hearing it. His neighbor built his stairs for him so there wasn’t anything keeping him here. I just hope he’s smart about safety when he’s alone. My kids have always called me a worry wart but my background is Occupational therapy and I can’t help but see potential for falls/injury in the home when a person is recuperating. Plus I was Paul’s caretaker for 7 yrs which taught me a lot. 

Now what to do with all this time on my hands?