PeppySue

Texas People #6

Hoping everyone is spending Easter with loved ones.

The kids are coming later. Paul invited his sister last minute so now I wonder if I'll have enough food.

I don't cook in the huge amounts I used to. I just don't want holiday food around.

I know my cheesecake won't be enough for dessert and I had my eye on a piece left over with coffee tomorrow.

This is the first time I am cooking vegetarian for Amanda. Well except for the pork roast for the men.

She has gotten to the point that any tiny bit of meat makes her nauseated. Shes always adored beef, but paid for it later. I can recall her getting violently sick during the night after eating beef in particular.

She's had no nausea since she stopped eating meat.

Coffee's gone, need to get back to the kitchen. Hope you all have a most wonderful Easter!

QH,

Belated Happy Easter to you & your family, Glad your year is looking up this year compared to last year. Best Wishes in your future. PD

Hello PD. Thank you.

Could ya'll keep Gracie in your thoughts, she goes in the morning for spaying.

They keep them over night : (

I'm going to miss her so much!

How is Miss Gracie today?

Not much going on here today. Was supposed to take my neighbor to Austin but she cancelled the appointment. Will spend the day folding all the laundry from the last 2 days. Think it is up to 5 loads with the towels. How can 2 people dirty so many clothes?????

Cloudy and gray today. Good day to stay in. So damp it is like trying to breathe underwater!!

I didn't realize it was so difficult to schedule an appointment, as a new patient.

I need to establish a doctor closer to home, so I've been calling around. The first office I called isn't taking new patients, the second, can't get me in until October.

Finally found one accepting new patients, I need to go in during the week, fill out a new patient packet and, they usually schedule an appointment within 3 weeks.

My MRA went well, aneurysm repair is stable, no new ones, so that's good.

Guess I'll go tomorrow, get that packet filled out then, maybe hit Wal Mart.

I don't know if it was food poisoning or a stomach bug, but, I was sicker than a dog all day Sunday, I tried driving home from Tucson as planned, but, had to stop in Globe, about a hundred miles down the road and, get a room. Once I slept all day, I drove home Monday morning.

Mz, Gracie is doing amazing. I picked her up this morning, she doesn't even seem bothered by anything. Teeny tiny incision, no sutures to pull on thankfully. She's still sleeping off the drugs which makes keeping her quiet easy...for today anyway.

Oh the laundry! I have a load in the dryer now from Tuesday that needs folding. Between us and the dogs blankets and junk towels I use on them, I do wash twice a week.

Equi, so glad to hear your good report. Yes, I agree it's a pain establishing a new Dr. It's ridiculous, is there a shortage or something?

Sad to hear you were sick. I can't imaging having to drive with a stomach bug or spending your Easter that way.

I am trying to find a morning glory plant to put in the water trough with the hog panel trellis. I've called all over and no one has them. I lost the vines I had started from seeds last year, to neglect.

Wish now I had grabbed one at the emporium, might be an excuse to go back.

Still don't have my arbor together. It will span the center circle of the lime stone walkway which is a tad too wide. So we have to chip some stone on the sides so the arbor will sit level.

I had to kill cursed fire ants before we could do anything. They were in every pot. I will have to be vigilant this summer to keep them out of my pots.

Found two gorgeous turquoise pots at Home Depot yesterday. Will hit the nursery tomorrow for flowers to fill them. Today will have to be a quiet day inside with Gracie.

QH, glad she is doing well!

Not much going on here today. Hubby brought in a load of shop rags to be washed. I hate doing them as they make such a mess in the washer. Will have to pick up a bottle of coke for them.

So far my potatoes, onions and tomatoes are doing good. Saw today that the bush beans are coming up. Nothing yet from the spaghetti squash or cantaloupe. Will mulch the tomatoes this weekend. Also want to get the plants outside so I can re-arrange my living room. Will also try to get the plastic off the porch so we can get all the windows open.

GD graduates from her training school tomorrow. She will be stationed in Little Creek Virginia. She will only have 3 days to drive from Missouri to Virginia so she will not be able to stop here. :(

Tomorrow is our wedding anniversary. We will be married 28 years. Sometime it seems like yesterday and sometimes it seems like forever!! Nothing special planned. We are going to the lawn mower rodeo in town on Sunday afternoon. Hubby is entering a lawn mower. Must remember to take the camera!!

Mz, congratulations, wishing you an amazing 28th Anniversary tomorrow. You'll have beautiful weather to be outside all weekend.

Good luck to DH in the lawnmower rodeo. Sounds like fun!

It is soooo windy today! Hoping it will die down so I can finish cleaning up the garden.

Yesterday I scraped the walk of all the dead vegetation and dirt that washed out of the pots.

It looks so nice now. There's several loads of weeds to haul out and dump in the gully.

Once that's done, We can assemble the arbor.

Need to go online and start planning our trip to Corpus. I'm getting excited.

Need to check on Gracie outside with Paul. She seems to be feeling better but she's still asking me to help her onto the couch. She's so smart. Lol

I'm glad I retired from teaching before all this shooting stuff started. Trying to get the kids through a tornado warning was bad enough. Mz Rat, my tomato will be in full sun because I have no shade. But it's very windy here. How do they hold up against wind? Last year, I put it in a tomato cage and then wrapped that with screening to cut down on wind. I'm thinking it didn't get enough sun because of that.

Jubal, can you put the plants somewhere where they are kinda protected from the wind. You will still need the cages as they will fall over and run everywhere!

QH, is Gracie really needing help up or does she have you trained? LOL!!

WOW! Yesterday was nice and warm and sunny! Today is rainy and cold! Mid 60's, if that. We even got some pea sized hail with the rain this morning. Gotta love Texas weather!!

Mz - Yesterday I had to turn the a/c on for the first time all year and then today was the heater. Crazy weather.

QH - Glad to hear Gracie is doing well.

I am making progress on my dissertation. Have the committee formed and am working on my prospectus. Between work and the dissertation I stay pretty busy. I hope to be done by next summer.

My garden is doing well. The spaghetti squash is flowering and the snow peas are still producing.

Hello Jubal...Peppy, great to hear from you.

Jubal, I don't know how anyone enjoys teaching anymore. They truly don't pay teachers what they are worth!

Peppy, are you having an ant problem? Oh my gosh, any time I work the dirt, next day I've got a new ant bed there.

Saw a video today of a borax, sugar, water mixture you spray and it's supposed to kill them. I'm going to put a saucer of it in by beds, hopefully they will move off.

Mz, I am pretty sure it's her fear of causing pain. Day I brought her home, Paul let her out without supervision. Before I was aware, her sister had run off with her to the pastures. When I brought her in, she was acting sore so I crated her and she slept the rest of the day.

Next morning, she realized what she'd done because she had stopped trying to jump on and off furniture and was moaning for me to help her.

I thought winter was over...48 here this morning.

Yesterday just depressed me, I wanted to work in the garden but it rained on and off and was so windy.

I'm about to go out now that it's warmed up. Hope to have the garden cleaned up by tonight so we can get the arbor together and roses planted by sunset tomorrow.

The ants are really bad here. I have already had them in two of my beds. Got my first mosquito bite of the year today while mowing the grass. Just mowed around the bluebonnets but the yard looks much better. Took 3 years but I have grass almost covering the entire backyard. This year the lilies around the oak bloomed. They are purple lilies and are very pretty. Someone before me tried to make the yard nice at one time.

Hope you enjoyed being in your garden today QH. Cold this morning and very warm this afternoon. My mom made me cuttings of my great great grandmother's rose bush for my backyard. Can't wait to get them established.

Peppy, cuttings from the old roses are so easy to start. My mom got cutting from my grandfather's rose. When she gave me cuttings I shared them with a couple of neighbors. So glad I did. I lost mine in the super hot summer a couple of years ago. Since I lost all but one of the rose plants I had, I pulled down the trellis I had them on. I so enjoy seeing them bloom at the neighbors! With the different soil, they bloom a different color. I remember them as a really soft pink. Here they bloom a dark pink.

Having a hard time typing this morning. I just got up about 30 minutes ago and am so dopey from too much sleep!

Peppy, I'd love to see your purple lilies. I may try bulbs when I get my raised beds in.

Do you know what the Rose is?

Actually, I spent yesterday at Amanda's helping her put in the roses she got at the Emporium. Now I must have a Sally Holmes rose.

Mz, I feel dopey in the morning from taking 24 hr. Zyrtec before bed for my allergies. Allergies were so bad, I was getting run down from too little sleep.

Sorry you lost your grandmother's rose. Do you remember what it was called?

My pink Cecile Brunner rose turned red when I moved it out to the road fence.

We're going back to the emporium this week. I have a list. Amanda and her boss are looking for honey suckle, no one carries them locally but we saw them in Independence. And...I'm not leaving there without a seven sisters rose.

I'm so proud of Gracie. I left her uncrated last night for the first time. She stayed on my blanket in my recliner in the tv room. I heard her scratch on our door early this morning, but I didn't react and she went back to sleep. Lol...I am thinking it was genius on my part, to capitalize on her being scared to jump off furniture.

Otherwise, I'm certain she'd running around all night like a crazed beast.

Going to get on Pinterest and see what I want to put in my new Aqua pots. Wishing everyone an amazing day.

Could you pray for Moon? I think she's foundering. She was fine yesterday for her trimming so when she came up lame this morning on her two front feet, I thought she's just tender. But Richard never trims too much.

Then I felt a little heat at the coronary bands. Back feet are fine so far. Vet has been called. Today is farm call day so he's booked solid. If he can't get her in today, I'm going to go get some bute to keep her comfortable.

I will update when I know something.

I'm glad I retired from teaching before all this shooting stuff started. Trying to get the kids through a tornado warning was bad enough. Mz Rat, my tomato will be in full sun because I have no shade. But it's very windy here. How do they hold up against wind? Last year, I put it in a tomato cage and then wrapped that with screening to cut down on wind. I'm thinking it didn't get enough sun because of that.

Once they are big enough to fill the cage, keep the new shoots pruned back. You will actually get MORE tomatoes, and usually bigger. And they will be stronger and less likely to blow over.

Vet just left. Definitely laminitis. He wants to test for Cushing's and a pituitary tumor but he's waiting for the test kits to arrive. I believe this is a new test that will be a reduced cost to me...$40 as opposed to $200.

He padded her front feet and wants her off pasture and on stall rest 5 days. He left ace and bute.

After the test results, we'll go from there with diet and/or medication which he said is expensive.

I'd rather this not be happening, but it has to be dealt with.

I'm sorry, QH. I keep expecting Cushings, too. My horse is 15 and has already foundered once. It's really difficult to manage them afterwards. But maybe your mare won't founder since you caught it early.

QH & Jubal, do your horses shed out smooth in the summer? If it is Cushings, the meds are not that expensive. We had 3 horses at the stable with Cushings. We got the meds from Pet Vet Solutions. I think it was. I will ask a friend. QH, hope Moon makes a speedy recovery!

My day was spent cleaning up all the mess from the plants being in for the winter. Doing some rearranging also. Course everything I want to move, I have to clear a place for! Then my evening took a nose dive. My son in Maryland had a heart attack. He works climbing cell phone towers and was up on the tower when he had the attack. The crew got him down and to the ER. They have put in a stint as one of his arteries was blocked. Then they had to go back and clean it out again. The hospital is over 2 hours away from where they live so his boss got his GF/wife(been together almost 15 years!) a hotel room near the hospital. All I can do at this point is pray for him.

Mz, I will be sending prayers and good vibes your way, for your son.

I, currently have a raging head cold, itchy eyes, running itchy nose and, stuffed up head. I threw away the cold medicine just the other day, when getting rid of expired meds and, forgot to buy more.

Mz, once again, I'm praying your son will be OK.

Thanks, Equi! Need all he can get. He is only 44!

Got any whiskey? Shot of whiskey, tablespoon honey and tablespoon lemon juice. Add just enough hot water to melt the honey. Knock back a couple of these and go to bed and snuggle up in the blankets. Best cold medicine I ever used!

Mz, we don't keep liquor in the house, but, if we did, I would for sure take a dose or two of your concoction.

Any news on your son this morning?

Mz, I am so relieved your son got medical help. Gosh what a shocker for you. Does he have a history of heart disease and my goodness he's young to have issues. Praying for a full recovery.

To answer your question, Moon sheds out slick every year. Vet did mention that. I'm trying to keep positive thoughts she's going to be manageable once we get her over the laminitis.

I may have to get the name of that company for meds if she has to take them.

Equi, sorry you're sick, have you ever used a Neti pot? When I get head colds or beginning sinus infections I use mine to clean my sinuses, it truly does cut the duration short.

Hope you feel better ASAP.

So so sad about Merle Haggards passing. I never got to see him in concert, it was on my bucket list.

Thank you Jubal for the good wishes. I hope you can avoid Cushing's too.

We have flitted away the day, I need to grocery shop.

So far my son is doing good. He might get out of ICU tonight. He was sitting up on the side of the bed complaining about hospital food.

QH & Jubal, one of the signs of Cushings is long hair that doesn't shed out in summer. One of the horses at the stable we though was bay. After the meds, he finally shed out to a beautiful liver chestnut! Hopefully, that is not what is wrong with either of your horses

Looks like my son made a paper somewhere! http://wirelessestimator.com/articles/2016/co-worker-assists-in-tower-techs-rescue-in-maryland. Will have to go over and read it!

Short article, picture and video. Kinda disturbing to see your kid lowered off a 300' tower like that!!

Edited by Mz Rat