SweetTrigger

Where To Hack Out

I don't really live on a VERY quiet road but it can be quiet enough. Where would be a good place to hack out a 4 year old? He can be a handful but he is also very calm and I recently rode him on a trek and altogether I rode him for a total of 7 hours that day!! He was with over 50 horses but he calmed down afterwards (he was excited but nothing bad).. So anyway..where could I ride him or should I bring someone to go with me since he is green enough188147_394502390684600_537514445_q.jpg Thats him!! Smiling! :) in the pic ^

It is good to ride a young one out with a been there done that horse. The fewer, the better actually. That follow the herd instinct will save you so much unnecessary stress, on both you, and your horse, and will bring him so much farther along, in a much shorter time than it would have taken you to get there on your own. Later, when he is mostly there, and you run into that spooky situation he is having problems with, go back to this same method to calm and reassure him again. Sounds like he is coming along with his training, and you are on top of what needs to be addressed. No clue where you live, or whats available to you for riding. I am on a country road, and can ride all day on country roads, although I will have to cross busy paved ones at times. Have run into all kinds of situations, depending on the time of year, and time of day. All help season your mount. Hopefully, other horseowners in your area will be amiable to your needs. We, like most I have run into, help each other along.

Like Indian shuffler said; seek out other horse ownwers, and see what they do, and also see if they will ride either with you, or perhaps know of other clubs, or groups.

We have a bunch of great groups called ( interestingly enough) "Corrals", that all belong to the same parent organization called; Equestrian Trails International. I belong to Corral 138, here in the Antelope Valley of So. Calif., but the ETI Corrals are all over the state, and focus on most aspects of the equestrian world. We have Corrals that only do shows and Gynkhanas, some that only camp and ride, and most do all of the normal stuff.

If you would like to start a corral, or get more information about the equestrian lifestyle, and how we try to maintain, and preserve our lifestyle see; ETI@etinational.com

Edited by siseley

I live on a country road too!! But there is a quarry and a pit on my road with lots of lorries and a few cars. My neighbours are brilliant riders!! But I don't really think it's fair to just go to their house and ask if they want to hack out!! I might be going back to my trainer's this summer again (but maybe not). They have an arena too but I wouldn't be aloud to ride in it (incase someting bad happened to me which it wouldn't because he's good in an arena)!! But like I said it wouldn't be fair to ask them!! How long should I ride for on a hack? (in my situation!!)

Edited by SweetTrigger

You may be surprised to find that your neighbors may be quite happy to ride out for a few hours. Most folks love to just relax, let the world go by, and chat as they ride. Of course if you are like me, the others may get tired of your constant chatter! LOL!

You won't know until you ask them.

You may be surprised to find that your neighbors may be quite happy to ride out for a few hours. Most folks love to just relax, let the world go by, and chat as they ride. Of course if you are like me, the others may get tired of your constant chatter! LOL!

You won't know until you ask them.

Oh I love to talk :yay: !!!! We do have quiet roads all around with some traffic I guess but I think Trigger would be a bit spookish by himself!! Her horses are a bit spooky to I think (not completely sure though). I guess I could ask but I don't think my mam would let me!!

I noticed that you are in the U.K.!!!

COOL! I want to visit, and see the entire countryside.

My horse "Siseley" and I went with a group to the foothills of southern California for a nice ride. ( you would call it a hack!), and we made a game from everyone pulling out a playing card at each roadway we crossed. When we returned, we tried to make a poker hand out of the cards, and the winner got a nice prize.

Lots of fun, and I met some neato people to ride with. We all had put some kind of dish together, and we had "Pot Luck" as everyone ate lots of good food, and even fudge candy, and a couple pints of local ale.

This is what our groups look like when we are riding out!

GEDC0333-Copy.jpg

100_3759.jpg

Edited by siseley

Oh yeah!

I need to put a picture of me riding!!

Ok, this is me and "Siseley" just returned from the beach, Siseley is a full blood Arabian mare, and I have had her since she was 6 weeks old. ( now 14 years!!).

mdo8-2010031.jpg

Most of us have a truck and trailer, ( lorry and van), so we can haul all over the the best areas to ride and explore. This is my big one, it is a 4 horse trailer, and has a home inside with a loo, bath, and even a generator and microwave. The truck, ( lorry), is my Dodge Ram, full 1 ton with a diesel engine. I use it for both our 4 horse, and our two horse vans.

asstshotsfornow071.jpg

Our two horse, and my old Dodge that I had to sell !

mdo8-2010013.jpg

And some of the folks I met while trailing, who ride their Clydesdales all over the beach and mountains!!

mdo8-2010007.jpg

Edited by siseley

I guess you noticed that I live in the high desert of Southern California, and we travel to the ocean in the summer for rides and camping in the trailer.

Our local "Corral" also puts on trail rides, and anyone can go along, as long as they sign a waiver of liability.

Here are few of the club at a place we call; Red Rock Canyon State Park.

It is a geological preserve, and lots of neat features and formations in the rock.

100_3745.jpg

100_3781.jpg

100_3722.jpg

Wow :D YOU ARE SPOILED ROTTEN!!!! Ohh you are such a lucky duck!!!!!! Lol those clydesdales look like a bigger version of Trigger!!!!!!!! I would love to ride on beaches and all around there! But I think in a big wide open space Trigger would probably try to bolt if he was excited or something!! He's ok with other horses but he walks up their bums. Your horse looks lovely!! Unfortunately I have no pictures of me on any trails! :) But I have some of me in lessons on Trigger :)

He carries his head high but he's lovely!!! (Not to brag)

21423_229320580550279_300647915_n.jpg

Here's a closer picture of him!!

1011958_229320693883601_230008609_n.jpg

Don't you think he looks like that clydesdale?!!! He has the markings and build (but not height) of a clydesdale!!!!!!

Edited by SweetTrigger

YES!

He does look like a smaller version of a Clydesdale!!

He looks quite forward in movement from the pics, and quite happy to be out moving.

I am so jealous of your GREEN surroundings! We do not ever have much greenery, and must go to the coast, or to the mountains to find any. Fortunately, it is only about 20 miles to the San Gabriel Mountains, which can go up about 8-12,000 ft. One of our favs in summer is to go up to one place that even has corrals for each horse right next to your campsites!

dogsinsnowsaddlebackclubdogsatbe-35.jpg

Most of our winter riding we stay out of the mountains, as they are completely snowed in, and no access to them.

Sooooo.... we ride in the desert, or out to the flats, where we usually have several groups all ride together.

poppys2010053.jpg

poppys2010045.jpg

Obviously these are from our annual wildflower ride to the Poppy Reserve in So. Calif!

Edited by siseley

Very beautiful surroundings you have too!! I am completely surrounded by fields where I live!! Literally!!!!!

Yes Trigger is forward enough I guess but I need the 3 ring gag for him on the third ring (my trainer told me to do so!!) it's in the picture! But it's not much good at times! If he was to bolt it wouldn't stop him! And I know you use your weight to stop them but I don't know if that would work either!! :P

I would like to ride in a gentle snaffle! But I don't know if he would respond to it!! (all I ould need to do is use my current bit on the big ring and it would be a snaffle with extra rings on it!!)

Hope everyone is out riding. We have had some great weather for riding, but sure could use some snow in the Sierras, and some rain in the foothills and flatlands. California is so dry, we spit out cactus spines!

Not a lot going on, but sure can't wait to go up to the El Paso Mtns next month for Our "Annual Jeep and Camp" run. Lots of Jeeps, and plenty of lies around the campfire. I can't wait to see my friends I only e-mail and call on ocassion.

WEll the idea of sweat is just about all we can get in summer, and late spring. It will be about 110*F during the day, so our rides are done in the early morning , or night rides. OOOH...I LOVE riding at night across the desert! Full moon, just sages and Joshua Trees, with a gentle breeze!

We do have to look out for those nasty "Buzz Worms", ( Rattlesnakes), as they hunt at night, and rest during the day from the heat.