SweetTrigger

Riding Arenas

I rode my horse nearly every single day over the summer holidays at my trainer's place. She has an arena and we hacked out a lot too but my horse is only 4. I am able to ride him but he's better with another horse to because he is very young (broken at few months old and jumping and pulling a a sulky but that was with his previous owner, my neighbour who was 16) When I brought trigger home from my trainer I had only the paddock for riding him but he bolted. Maybe he was just fresh but I need a controlled area. But anyway back to the point! What's the cheapest fencing for an arena? I'm on a bit of a tight budget! What would be an appropriate size for cantering, circles and jumping? (only like 2 jumps maybe!!)

188147_394502390684600_537514445_q.jpg That's Trigger in the picture!!

Edited by SweetTrigger

I wouldn't normally go smaller than standard "short* dressage - 20m x 40m.

One thing you could do is use movable hot tape (not hot wire, but the very visible tape stuff) to separate off part of the paddock. That would be your cheapest option if all you want is a smaller area to ride while you work on training your horse.

I dont think tape would work. I suppose you could say Trigger is a bit of a...risk taker maybe!! I do't think a bit of tape would stop him :excl: Thanks though!! :smileywavey: Any type of wooden fencing that's cheap?! :grin: I was thinking maybe 30m by 40m because 20 seems a little tight to turn half way into a jump maybe!

Our arena is 25 by 40. I don't know what fencing would be the cheapest though. Sorry...

Thanks! I might do 30 by 40 because I find it a bit hard getting around the corner in canter to where the jumps are! :D:P

Edited by SweetTrigger

I was thinking of using the bottom of my paddock for an arena because it is flat ground, has 3 sides of fencing and just needs one side of fencing to divide the paddock and I think it's big enough too! :smile:

Only thing is...what fencing do I use to divide the paddock? It needs to be afordable yet good, something he won't run through if he bolts or tries to jump it (I don't know if he would try but I would really rather be safe than sorry) :smile:

I was reconsidering white tape but I'd need a good bit of it going over and back so he doesn't want to run through it! We have lots of it too so we wouldn't need to get more. Should I put the tape up high and put rows of it under so he doesn't try run under it either?! :smile:

I would love to hear all of your opinions on this :smile: Thanks.

I would recommend hot wire and try and place a gate, because once he knows it's electrified he won't mess with it. You really aren't going to be able to find cheap wood fencing, and for the size you want it will add up fast, personally I think hot wire would be a good way to go.

:grin: Ok thank you but my mam just told me yesterday that she's going to have enough extra money by summer time to get good wooden fencing!! :happy0203: Until then I might try the tape thanks :smile:

Edited by SweetTrigger