SweetTrigger

Young Horse

I see how it hanging out with the horse in the field won't help with obedience or any of that, bit I think it would help the overall relationship between her and the horse, and get her more comfortable around him, and him around her, and it really cant hurt anything so I dont see why not.

HorsesArelife, I would like to reply to your question as it still has relevance to the topic.

There's a very thin line how easy a horse can become a pet if the attention given is not something that builds respect from a horse. Without respect you won't have trust. When you feel confident about how well you control that horse, this builds your confidence and the horse's.Take imprinting, the concept was have that baby be seen by a person at birth, hence no fear of sight or being handled, not a bad thing, but folks took it to far and it became a bold pushy baby.To me, a good relationship is of total understanding of what is expected and understood by me and the horse. You can sit on the fence and feed that horse grass all day, but that won't build a WORKING relationship if that's what you want. Training does that.JMO.

Edited by Floridacracker

apparently there is no help for you sweet trigger. good luck. if you are not able to stand in front of your horse, you will be unable to do anything else.. stay safe.

Oh for god's sake what I have written was all about how I CAN stand in front of him but its SAFER not to as it is a blind spot!!! Jeeeeezz read it!!!!!

I see no value in just hanging out in the field. If you want to spend time tie him up and then brush him. Do not brush in the field. Do not try galloping him to wear him out. Pick a nice controlled trot. A canter is to out of control. A nice working trot will wear him down while keeping him calm and easier on you.

You are not a strong rider, your horse is heavy and strong so stick to trotting. Walking is boring and bores the horse. Trotting will work better for both of you

Good luck. Stop often, back a few steps then trot off. Teach. WHOA means. To stop, nothing else and back at all the stops.

Easy means easy

If I try to trot he will just move up to a gallop.. but i will try grooming him more! :)

HorsesArelife, I would like to reply to your question as it still has relevance to the topic.

There's a very thin line how easy a horse can become a pet if the attention given is not something that builds respect from a horse. Without respect you won't have trust. When you feel confident about how well you control that horse, this builds your confidence and the horse's.Take imprinting, the concept was have that baby be seen by a person at birth, hence no fear of sight or being handled, not a bad thing, but folks took it to far and it became a bold pushy baby.To me, a good relationship is of total understanding of what is expected and understood by me and the horse. You can sit on the fence and feed that horse grass all day, but that won't build a WORKING relationship if that's what you want. Training does that.JMO.

Okay, i understand what you are saying, but when i say hangout with your horse in the field, i don't mean feeding it giving it treats, brushing yes, but i think it helps if they realize they have to listen to you out there just like anywhere else. which she said she had trouble leading out of the field. The way i do that with my own horse is getting her to walk with me when i ask or backing up, and just having her listen to me when i ask her to do something, I can tell her to do things from across the field now, just from working with her and doing things with her out there. But i don't mean just stand out there feed them grass/hay, or treats. I like to work with my horse in her own space or environment around other horses, she is in a herd of around 20+ horses, and if i am at the gate and she all the way at the end of the field if i whistle she will come, if i tell her to back up she will. If that makes sense, i achieved that by spending time out there with her and working with her and all that helped with riding her.

Okay, i understand what you are saying, but when i say hangout with your horse in the field, i don't mean feeding it giving it treats, brushing yes, but i think it helps if they realize they have to listen to you out there just like anywhere else. which she said she had trouble leading out of the field. The way i do that with my own horse is getting her to walk with me when i ask or backing up, and just having her listen to me when i ask her to do something, I can tell her to do things from across the field now, just from working with her and doing things with her out there. But i don't mean just stand out there feed them grass/hay, or treats. I like to work with my horse in her own space or environment around other horses, she is in a herd of around 20+ horses, and if i am at the gate and she all the way at the end of the field if i whistle she will come, if i tell her to back up she will. If that makes sense, i achieved that by spending time out there with her and working with her and all that helped with riding her.

I dont always have trouble in the field! Only when hes fresh but when hes at the top of the field waiting to come in hes fine and hes fine when i lead him out in the morning too.

I didn't say you always did, just that you mentioned. my horse gets fresh to but never has she bolted on me. But i Hope everything works out with you and your horse. Good luck.

If I try to trot he will just move up to a gallop.. but i will try grooming him more! :)

I had a reply but decided it would be "mean"

Go ahead and groom him. That's all you need to do. That will make him love you enough to not run off with you

*head against wall*

working with a horse, even in the field, is completely different then taking a book out there and some carrots and just hanging out

When I was a lot younger, I did not have around pen nor an outdoor arena, thus I trained in the pasture, riiding those green horses same place they and their buddies lived, as that is what I had to work with.

Now, if I am going to work with a horse, it makes much more sense to handle the horse, take him away from his buddies, and work him, where he has to pay attention to you and not his buddies

I like to teach horses to ground tie while I groom them. It is also the way I first saddle them. Goes a long way to teaching 'whoa'

Horses don't need a human as another pasture mate. They need to be worked/trained, so that they accept that human as their leader and source of security, rather than a buddy in the field

Horses are creatures of habit, and just like us , need to learn good work ethics. Thus, if I wish to interact with a horse, they are haltered, taken from their comfort zone, made to focus on me, and that is who true training starts. Once you have that horse's respect, the rest just follows into place, including bonding and the horse feeling secure in your presence

if a horse decides where he will let you lead him, you don't back down and just not try to lead him out of that field, but you use that hole in his training to focus on an issue, then use whatever tool you need to fix it. A horse that is truly respectful and halter broke, does not decide where he will and will not let you lead him. Therefore, on such a horse, I would use what it takes to convince him that yes, indeed, he must lead where asked to go. If that is a stud shank-so be it

Just avoiding the issue, not asking him to leave that field, as that might cause the horse to balk, is not fixing anything, but rather avoiding addressing the problem. You can hang out in that field with him ;until the cows come home', but if that horse decides he does not wish to leave that field and lead with respect, all the hanging out with him in that field does zero!

This kind of thinking shows why we have so many spoiled horses with holes in training!

A horse is not a dog, is and not going to give you endless devotion, ride where you ask him to go, because he 'loves' you, as you groom him and bring him treats

Edited by Smilie

I can lead my horse with out halter or lead rope around the field with all those other horses and she has all her attention on me, the herd started running into the second pasture when the gate was opened and my horse didn't even look. She knows work has started as soon as i enter the field. i can lead her out with out anything around tractors bales of hay that are stacked up her attention never wavers from me, i work with her every where, in the arena round pen and in the field, she was always avoiding being caught now she doesn't. she doesnt avoid me and she leads great. she is in no way spoiled, and when i got her i did have to go back to basics to fill in the holes in her training. I didn't mean avoid the problem by just working out there, i just ment that for me it helped, by working out there in an area that really tests them as to how much the really focus and listen to you.

You said also, "You can do it either way. Bring a brush out some treats or just sit near him if your comfortable with that or a bit away but still in his sight.I can't see how this will change her horses mindset for respect.Also, often times a horse will get comfortable in it's comfort zone. Can be a whole different story if it's pushed out of that zone.Then you see how well ones foundation is.

I didn't say you always did, just that you mentioned. my horse gets fresh to but never has she bolted on me. But i Hope everything works out with you and your horse. Good luck.

Sorry I didnt mean to sound all defensive, i was just saying..!

I had a reply but decided it would be "mean"

Go ahead and groom him. That's all you need to do. That will make him love you enough to not run off with you

*head against wall*

If your going to try being a smart""" please go and post your nasty remarks elsewhere.

I can lead my horse with out halter or lead rope around the field with all those other horses and she has all her attention on me, the herd started running into the second pasture when the gate was opened and my horse didn't even look. She knows work has started as soon as i enter the field. i can lead her out with out anything around tractors bales of hay that are stacked up her attention never wavers from me, i work with her every where, in the arena round pen and in the field, she was always avoiding being caught now she doesn't. she doesnt avoid me and she leads great. she is in no way spoiled, and when i got her i did have to go back to basics to fill in the holes in her training. I didn't mean avoid the problem by just working out there, i just ment that for me it helped, by working out there in an area that really tests them as to how much the really focus and listen to you.

Wow your horse sounds very..wow!!! Lucky you!! :)

Im not using this as an excuse but trigger IS still very young and he was only trained PROPERLY for one summer.. so he will need more work done to get all of it drilled into his brain! Again, its not an excuse, it is a fact. Think of it like this.. you're not going to learn a whole new language in one day, Rome wasnt built in a day, any other sayings !! :)

@ Floridacracker For her yeah i said she could do that, just to get HERSELF more comfortable around the horse, for her to become the leader and discipline the horse when need be she needs to be comfortable around him, if your timid or intimidated which may not be the case thats just how it sounded, then your not going to be able to do what you have to if your not comfortable around the horse. If your not comfortable leading while standing next to the horse or standing in front of it then your not going to be able to get in its face or anything when they are being disrespectful.

Edited by HorsesAreLife

Sorry I didnt mean to sound all defensive, i was just saying..!

If your going to try being a smart""" please go and post your nasty remarks elsewhere.

Wow your horse sounds very..wow!!! Lucky you!! :)

Im not using this as an excuse but trigger IS still very young and he was only trained PROPERLY for one summer.. so he will need more work done to get all of it drilled into his brain! Again, its not an excuse, it is a fact. Think of it like this.. you're not going to learn a whole new language in one day, Rome wasnt built in a day, any other sayings !! :)

It's okay, i was just explaining myself, which i sometimes forget to do properly, and yeah she is pretty great, but it took a LOOONG time to get where we are.

@ Floridacracker For her yeah i said she could do that, just to get HERSELF more comfortable around the horse, for her to become the leader and discipline the horse when need be she needs to be comfortable around him, if your timid or intimidated which may not be the case thats just how it sounded, then your not going to be able to do what you have to if your not comfortable around the horse. If your not comfortable leading while standing next to the horse or standing in front of it then your not going to be able to get in its face or anything when they are being disrespectful.

Sorry I disagree with your reasoning.Getting ones self comfortable is a stretch from confidence in fixing a problem. One(horse or person) of you better know what your doing, .My neighbor is 87 years old and can lead his horse anywhere on his property, however him being comfortable riding down the road is a whole different story.

The way i see it being comfortable around a horse and knowing you can do these things and be not intimidated, leads to confidence in dealing with a problem and being able to do things. But i do understand what you are saying. But shouldn't you be comfortable and confident in your self and horse at home and around your own place before venturing out? I think that would help you be more comfortable AND confident in going out other places knowing you have that trust and everything, i know it helped me.

The way i see it being comfortable around a horse and knowing you can do these things and be not intimidated, leads to confidence in dealing with a problem and being able to do things. But i do understand what you are saying. But shouldn't you be comfortable and confident in your self and horse at home and around your own place before venturing out? I think that would help you be more comfortable AND confident in going out other places knowing you have that trust and everything, i know it helped me.

This still goes back to do I have the skills/knowledge to fix a problem. I think a person should be honest in first whether their in over their head when it comes to fixing problems or if they can start that horse right to begin with. Some horses are forgiving and a person can get away with say a learning error if they realize their mistake, some horses you just opened yourself up to starting a bad habit.It wasn't until I was in my late teens what it was really like to ride a well trained horse.One that goes where you point it's nose and questions you not.Before All I did was stick on and pray.I could ride, but my confidence soared when I started riding a dependable horse because the horse built my confidence. Yes, you should feel confident before you venture out, but you have to feel secure that you can trust that horse with body control and focus on you.I'am glad it worked for you, but I think that's more an exception than the rule.

Edited by Floridacracker

Comfortable, means not much, far as helping you and your horse venture out of your comfort zone

What is crucial, is body control and respect, and you don't get that just hanging out with a horse

Instead of worrying about hanging out, being a pal, work the horse, get body control on him, and once you have control of his body parts (shoulders, ribs and hips ) you have the tools to ride him out

Think of having brakes and steering, instead of riding out and hoping you won't need them!

Trigger is not 'too young' He is four years old. Any good trainer would have that horse going well by now, and it does not take a year or more

I started young horses all of the time, as three year olds, and in a few months they were ready to ride out alone and went on day rides in the mountains.

Smilie was started in the spring of her two year old year. By May, she was winning jr horse classes in trail, western pl and equitation

Trigger is not a baby, , he is four years old, and a year of good solid training should be more that enough to make him into a reliable horse-which he is not

Stop making excuses for his age, and work on making him broke!

Comfortable, means not much, far as helping you and your horse venture out of your comfort zone

What is crucial, is body control and respect, and you don't get that just hanging out with a horse

Instead of worrying about hanging out, being a pal, work the horse, get body control on him, and once you have control of his body parts (shoulders, ribs and hips ) you have the tools to ride him out

Think of having brakes and steering, instead of riding out and hoping you won't need them!

Trigger is not 'too young' He is four years old. Any good trainer would have that horse going well by now, and it does not take a year or more

I started young horses all of the time, as three year olds, and in a few months they were ready to ride out alone and went on day rides in the mountains.

Smilie was started in the spring of her two year old year. By May, she was winning jr horse classes in trail, western pl and equitation

Trigger is not a baby, , he is four years old, and a year of good solid training should be more that enough to make him into a reliable horse-which he is not

Stop making excuses for his age, and work on making him broke!

Im not making excuses for his age but my sister is 6 and was brought up well but I dont see her being respectful all the time.. so yes, age has something to do with some probs.

Age becomes irrelevant when good habits aren't ingrained. You can have a 10 or 20 year old horse that is still green, or a three or four year old that is very well trained

Horses also reproduce at two years of age, and doubt your 6 year old sister is comparable!

Age becomes irrelevant when good habits aren't ingrained. You can have a 10 or 20 year old horse that is still green, or a three or four year old that is very well trained

Horses also reproduce at two years of age, and doubt your 6 year old sister is comparable!

Not all horses are the same so not all young horses are going to be very well trained..and well behaved

What a train wreck. The Op is still insisting her horse is just, " fresh" in an attempt to defend his lack of respect for her, she can ride him in the small yard, because, he doesn't have enough room to, " do anything", but, in a larger area he might bolt.....just because he's fresh, mind you, not because he isn't properly trained........she can do, " this" but not, " that" because, because, because................

Going to just groom him more?? that's the answer to his breaking into a gallop when you asked for a trot?! That is what was said....yes?

This horse has her number, he knows he can get away with....bolting, not listening and, being totally disrespectful, because, he HAS for how long now?

My opinion, she should sell this young horse to someone who actually CAN get him to be respectful and, purchase an older, well trained one. I mean, it makes perfect sense, she wants to ride, but, with this horse, she can't due to, " issues", so, get a horse that can be ridden, anywhere, not just a small yard.

Some of you, who didn't come to this thread from the beginning, don't know, the OP changed her entire original post when she wasn't getting the desired answers, which is the reason for some of the, ruder, remarks.

What a train wreck. The Op is still insisting her horse is just, " fresh" in an attempt to defend his lack of respect for her, she can ride him in the small yard, because, he doesn't have enough room to, " do anything", but, in a larger area he might bolt.....just because he's fresh, mind you, not because he isn't properly trained........she can do, " this" but not, " that" because, because, because................

Going to just groom him more?? that's the answer to his breaking into a gallop when you asked for a trot?! That is what was said....yes?

This horse has her number, he knows he can get away with....bolting, not listening and, being totally disrespectful, because, he HAS for how long now?

My opinion, she should sell this young horse to someone who actually CAN get him to be respectful and, purchase an older, well trained one. I mean, it makes perfect sense, she wants to ride, but, with this horse, she can't due to, " issues", so, get a horse that can be ridden, anywhere, not just a small yard.

Some of you, who didn't come to this thread from the beginning, don't know, the OP changed her entire original post when she wasn't getting the desired answers, which is the reason for some of the, ruder, remarks.

I KNOW hes disrespectful and im WORKING ON IT. Seriously you are the one who just cant accept the fact that I KNOW HE WAS FRESH. He does NOT ever get away with anything EVER EVER EVER. And guess what... horses arent all about RIDING RIDING RIDING. Take care of the horse too and spend time with it... unless you are one of those people that just get the horse, ride and then leave.

I am greatful for your opinion but no, im NOT going to sell him, he CAN be ridden anywhere but he WAS just FRESH. So what if he likes having another horse around to make him more comfortable with what hes doing??? You try doing EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING, alone, with NOBODY else with you and see how well u get on.

Yes I DID change the OP but not because I DIDNT get what i wanted to read. I changed it because I DID get the advice on tht and I wanted advice on SOMETHING ELSE.

Now my opinion...It sounds like you cant accept ANYTHING im telling you because either you want to be right and me wrong, you are too darn stubborn to listen to anything else but your own opinion or you just dont understand that there are other reasons in this situation. I would strongly suggest you be more open minded about things...It will come in handy one day.

She doesn't get it....ALL horses, that are trained the RIGHT way, regardless of age, WILL be respectful!!

He is not ALL horses. He is one young horse that has been trained multiple times and now he is finally being trained RIGHT after being trained WRONG. If you are going to keep contridicting erything I have to say then please go post your thoughts elsewhere.

Sorry, but, you're the one constantly contradicting yourself.

You keep insisting he's just fresh, as an excuse as to why he's behaving badly. I understand about, " fresh" horses, I have one, she dances in place, she acts excited, but, she never is disrespectful.

She was started young, too and, she never bolted or, acted as though she would, because, she was started and, ridden by someone with confidence, which transferred to her.

I think, you're afraid of what Trigger might do, you're too busy concentrated on THAT, that, he picks up on it, if you're constantly worried about what he MIGHT do, you're going to be tense, which will transfer to him.

You say, he can be ridden anywhere?, Then, why can't YOU ride him anywhere without fear of him bolting?

What I'm trying to get across, but not seeming to be able to, is, it doesn't matter the age of the horse, properly trained, all horses can become trustworthy, you then say, he was trained wrong the first time and, now is being trained right....by whom? you? whichever, it doesn't seem to be working, because you still are afraid to ride in the bigger area and, you are still having problems with bolting.

The age of the horse means nothing! Properly trained, is properly trained...no matter. I know of young horses being trail ridden in the mountains and, are just as calm and responsive as the older ones.

How long are you going to blame it on, " freshness"? Freshness can be worked out of a horse, then, he gets down to business and, starts work.

You're right, Trigger is not, ANY horse, but, he IS just a horse, who learns the same as all the others, somewhere, Trigger isn't getting what he needs, as far as training goes, otherwise, he would not be,STILL, disrespectful and, you would not have to be worried about him bolting when ridden in large areas.

You need to take your own advice, regarding being open minded and, needing to be right!

Too many, experienced horse people have TOLD you, more than once, what your problems are, but, all you're concerned with, is, being right and, then, you totally disregard that good advice, because it isn't what you want to hear.

If what YOU or, a trainer were doing, was working , you'd be riding and enjoying your horse by now, instead of being too afraid to ride him anywhere but a small yard.

You get your wish, I'm done with this nonsense, some people just don't want to listen to sound advice, even if it comes from people with many years experience.

Next time you want advice on something else, don't change your original post, start a new one.

You do need to stop dwelling on the what ifs. Like you saying if i ride in an open space he might bolt, he is going to feel your nervousness and anxiety. Horses can sense what your feeling and it transfers to him so if your feeling nervous he will be nervous, same if your not feeling confident he wont either.

It is possible that your trainer just simply isn't working, she may be a good trainer, maybe, but i think you should seriously look into finding someone else, or just talk to someone and get a second opinion.

So what if he needs another horse around to be comfortable, you ask- a big so what!!!!

If you have the respect and trust of your horse, when you ride, or work with him, his confidence comes from you and not that buddy back in the pasture

You have heard of buddy sour horses.

A horse that only rides well with other horses is not much different than a pack horse, and you are a passenger and not a rider

Well, they say the road of hard knocks is a good teacher, and with time, you might even realize those of us here who have had many years of experience, esp those who have ridden many different horses and trained them, just might know something

You zero in on anything where you do not need to change your approach to training much, in regards of putting something things on him that he desperately needs. Yes, much easier to simply groom him, but what he needs is body control, and I have yet to hear if he has any body control on him, as it is quite impossible on a horse that ignores legs, and where you insist he just is ahorse that is not capable to be made to giving to leg aids-that`s correct training!

Sorry, but, you're the one constantly contradicting yourself.

You keep insisting he's just fresh, as an excuse as to why he's behaving badly. I understand about, " fresh" horses, I have one, she dances in place, she acts excited, but, she never is disrespectful.

She was started young, too and, she never bolted or, acted as though she would, because, she was started and, ridden by someone with confidence, which transferred to her.

I think, you're afraid of what Trigger might do, you're too busy concentrated on THAT, that, he picks up on it, if you're constantly worried about what he MIGHT do, you're going to be tense, which will transfer to him.

You say, he can be ridden anywhere?, Then, why can't YOU ride him anywhere without fear of him bolting?

What I'm trying to get across, but not seeming to be able to, is, it doesn't matter the age of the horse, properly trained, all horses can become trustworthy, you then say, he was trained wrong the first time and, now is being trained right....by whom? you? whichever, it doesn't seem to be working, because you still are afraid to ride in the bigger area and, you are still having problems with bolting.

The age of the horse means nothing! Properly trained, is properly trained...no matter. I know of young horses being trail ridden in the mountains and, are just as calm and responsive as the older ones.

How long are you going to blame it on, " freshness"? Freshness can be worked out of a horse, then, he gets down to business and, starts work.

You're right, Trigger is not, ANY horse, but, he IS just a horse, who learns the same as all the others, somewhere, Trigger isn't getting what he needs, as far as training goes, otherwise, he would not be,STILL, disrespectful and, you would not have to be worried about him bolting when ridden in large areas.

Yeah well Trigger isnt your horse so thats not how he acts when hes fresh. Good idea, be done with this "nonsence" im done with yours.

Next time you want advice on something else, don't change your original post, start a new one.

You do need to stop dwelling on the what ifs. Like you saying if i ride in an open space he might bolt, he is going to feel your nervousness and anxiety. Horses can sense what your feeling and it transfers to him so if your feeling nervous he will be nervous, same if your not feeling confident he wont either.

It is possible that your trainer just simply isn't working, she may be a good trainer, maybe, but i think you should seriously look into finding someone else, or just talk to someone and get a second opinion.

I am not nervous when i ride him. i think of what might happen because of what DID happen but it doesnt make me tense up or make me nervous.

Equicrzy, i am not blaming it on freshess. It is the REASON, the CAUSE for him bolting. Why nobody will believe me when i say that i dont know but dont disrespect ME just because u cant believe anything i say. He bolted ONCE when he was fresh. Help me understand.. in what way is that what u are saying it is????? ONCE. It happened once. he WAS fresh (i think I'd know, i was there) and he had JUST COME HOME, away from his buddies after a good summer. So if u dont believe a word i say, stop posting on my thread and stop reading my posts. And please stop thinking u know the truth and im making up excuses because u were not there so u cant posibley know. Another thing ive noticed is people fighting with me on this thread and then they say they are done posting here and they are done with me and my nonsence but they all keep coming back to fight more and more. So please.. jsut go if youre going to keep fighting.

Maybe he does want to be around other horses, horses are a herd animal maybe he is lonely and bored. My horse bolted once to but in that case it was my fault, so it could be he was excited or fresh you never know, but it hasnt happened again so that's good, just keep working on respect and body control. Things will get better with time you just have to keep working with him.

Maybe he does want to be around other horses, horses are a herd animal maybe he is lonely and bored. My horse bolted once to but in that case it was my fault, so it could be he was excited or fresh you never know, but it hasnt happened again so that's good, just keep working on respect and body control. Things will get better with time you just have to keep working with him.

There are no horses around and he loved being three so yeah maybe he did miss them!! :) Yes i will continue working with him :)

Sweettrigger, both you and your horse are young/green. Sometimes that combo works, but many times it is a prescription to disaster, unless working with a GOOD trainer that can help you both

Did I sell three year olds to beginning/intermediate riders? Yes, but if that person was very green, I made sure that they were in a training situation

No one is 'fighting here, as you seem to deduct. Very immature attitude. Kuddos for you wanting to work with your horse and wanting to stick it through, instead of dumping him and going on to a more broke horse

Can you train a horse out of shear determination and guts-yup, as I certainly did way back when. Did it cost me something and could it have been done better- again, definitely,, and in fact, I was lucky not being seriously hurt as a teenager, riding a spoiled Anglo Arabian stud that my step father bought me (he was not a horseman! )

Horses are a lifelong experience, and luckily by the time I had children of my own, I knew a lot as to what was involved in both safe horse handling and riding.

There are absolutes, taught in fundamental levels of pony club, 4H and many NH clinics, and they are based on the innate nature of the horse himself

Yes, horses are a prey/herd species, and thus actually feel secure in a herd setting, plus have a definite position within that herd. They also have a natural flight instinct, and if that is taken away, will fight

The entire idea of having a horse as a willing partner, accepting us on his back, and also our judgement as to what should be a flight reaCTION, AND WHEN THAT REACTION SHOULD BE OVER ridden, is fundamental in good training

Yes, we realize that horses prefer to be with horses, and feel safe in a herd setting, HOWEVER, once we decide to make that horse a riding partner, we have to divert that confidence in a herd setting with other horses to us. There is no way around this fact if you want a safe horse to ride