SweetTrigger

Young Horse

Sweettrigger, both you and your horse are young/green. Sometimes that combo works, but many times it is a prescription to disaster, unless working with a GOOD trainer that can help you both

Did I sell three year olds to beginning/intermediate riders? Yes, but if that person was very green, I made sure that they were in a training situation

No one is 'fighting here, as you seem to deduct. Very immature attitude. Kuddos for you wanting to work with your horse and wanting to stick it through, instead of dumping him and going on to a more broke horse

Can you train a horse out of shear determination and guts-yup, as I certainly did way back when. Did it cost me something and could it have been done better- again, definitely,, and in fact, I was lucky not being seriously hurt as a teenager, riding a spoiled Anglo Arabian stud that my step father bought me (he was not a horseman! )

Horses are a lifelong experience, and luckily by the time I had children of my own, I knew a lot as to what was involved in both safe horse handling and riding.

There are absolutes, taught in fundamental levels of pony club, 4H and many NH clinics, and they are based on the innate nature of the horse himself

Yes, horses are a prey/herd species, and thus actually feel secure in a herd setting, plus have a definite position within that herd. They also have a natural flight instinct, and if that is taken away, will fight

The entire idea of having a horse as a willing partner, accepting us on his back, and also our judgement as to what should be a flight reaCTION, AND WHEN THAT REACTION SHOULD BE OVER ridden, is fundamental in good training

Yes, we realize that horses prefer to be with horses, and feel safe in a herd setting, HOWEVER, once we decide to make that horse a riding partner, we have to divert that confidence in a herd setting with other horses to us. There is no way around this fact if you want a safe horse to ride

i have also spent lots of money on trigger so im not going to give up now!! Im going to keep trigger not get another more broken horse i guess it will be a good experience for me too for the future!! Anyway as i was told before, i dont want to get a better horse becausewe will buy it (it would prob be exppensive because its so goood) and i will ruin it and that will be more money wasted.

Sweettrigger, between your determination, and the forgiving nature of horses, you can make it work, but don't be afraid to get help and take advise from those that have been there and done it!

Horses are a life long learning experience

I don't think anyone here is trying to 'fight' with you, but rather are trying to use their experience/knowledge to keep you safe

The key things to remember, is that horses learn by giving to pressure and then being rewarded by the release of pressure. Also, horses being a herd species need and crave a strong leadership-it gives them both trust and security Ever see an alpha horse light into another horse that has invaded her space, got the point across and then held no grudge? i Minutes later you see them grazing side by side. Take that alpha horse out of the pasture, that has been 'disciplining that lower own horse, and that horse is not happy, but rather calls for that leader that gives him security, even if it is enforced by harsh means

Not saying you need to be harsh, but you do need to be a strong leader, that gives black and white boundaries.

That trust and partnership, is not produced by feeding treats, hanging out with a horse, but by working and handling him in such a manner that he understands black and white boundaries, rather than given grey areas, consistency and repetition.

Once that is in place, sure , treat him once in awhile, but never use treats to bribe a horse to try and produce good behavior. Think of reward, , based on respect , rather than trying to gain correct behavior through a food reward (or grooming, or hanging out)

I am taking advice from people that has been there, done that on this thread but then they start saying stuff about me and my trainer? Thats crossing the line...that is not theyre place to say any of that stuff. But I am listening to the helpful things they say and it is them I am getting opinions from etc.

Trigger, "why" did you come on here looking for help or ideas, if it's going to cross the line against, what your so called trainer is doing?

Obviously it's NOT working for you..or else you wouldn't come on here.

Sorry...20 pages of people giving you advice, and that's the "thanks" they get?

Take it or leave it, but don't whine when it don't measure up to your "trainers" standard of training.

:unsure:

Trigger, "why" did you come on here looking for help or ideas, if it's going to cross the line against, what your so called trainer is doing?

Obviously it's NOT working for you..or else you wouldn't come on here.

Sorry...20 pages of people giving you advice, and that's the "thanks" they get?

Take it or leave it, but don't whine when it don't measure up to your "trainers" standard of training.

:unsure:

I quoted people'sposts and at the start or somewhere in my post I thanked them. Obviously I didn't know how rude some people can be towards people they don't even know and the people I know (my trainer in this case). My "so called trainer"? She IS a trainer. There's no questions about it.

Just because she didn't do anything about Trigger bolting once that makes her a bad trainer or not even a real trainer?? Well guess what... She didn't know he had bolted. It was at home and he NEVER did it before so it was NOT a problem until i brought him home and ONCE he bolted.

What you are saying is like saying this. 'if a doctor sends a child home from a hospital because the child is well again but then the child has a heart attack and the doctors seen no signs of a heart attack coming on, the doctor isnt a good doctor or a real doctor'. Now do u think thats right? NO. Just like some people here including you are not right about my trainer.

Honestly some people are so judgemental.