whitneyhoku

Test Rode A Horse

Haha, it's okay. They were both short lived because of moving and me being to young to have a job to board them (I had them at a free board in exchange for labor). They tested me time and time again and taught me a lot. I was young and stupid and got a completely untouched (except halter broke) 3 year old gelding. Worked him till he could have his feet handled, saddled, lunged, and sat on. Traded him for the mare and she was a OTTB and was a true challenge. But I learned a lot and she was a nut case compared to this boy. So I do think he is within my range of training but I will stick close to this site for any and all help.

He's definitely cute. Just be extremely careful. I'm going to tell you my story. And I'm telling you that I was so extremely lucky I wasn't hurt seriously. My friend got a pretty Arab gelding. We were told he bucks only once in awhile. We've heard this before and found it was rider error so we ignored the words. My friend always had me test riding the horses so she could see from the ground how they went with me putting them through their paces. She had taken him out the day before in a bit less bridle and he was perfect. No a single issue out of him. I saddled him up and everything was exactly the same. I got on him asked him to walk on and he EXPLODED. I'm talking Andis Bronc pictures exploded. The horse bucked and bucked and bucked he took me to a tree. He was going to bash himself into it and I bailed. He stopped bucking a minute to turn and come after me on the ground. Had I not rolled out of his way he would have succeeded in trampling me. He bucked all the way up to the fence and stopped then acted like nothing had happened. The saddle wasn't pinching him. His back was fine. Bridle was bit less so nothing in his mouth to hurt him. No reason that we could find for him to explode the way he did. That horse deserved a whole clip of ammo in his head. He was down right dangerous. So ANY horse who bucks because they're having a temper tantrum and not getting their way is a deal breaker. One buck, 30 bucks nope screw that mess. I have seen bomb proof baby sitters go for $500 here in Michigan that have NO faults. So $1200 IMHO is way high!! I'm not saying that you can't handle him I'm just giving my 2 cents worth. Take it leave it whatever works for you. I just remember my experience with a bucker and I absolutely refuse to ever get on one again. Ever!

Pass pass pass. Forget the pretty tail, and the saddle that comes with him, and even that he's he's an easy buy, which is so tempting, I know. Look at the facts, no excuses: he's bucked you off, he's a bolter on the ground, he's buddy sour and stubborn. That does not sound like a recipe for fun times to me. He sounds half trained with an attitude problem and no respect, add that up with with buddy sour and that can escalate to a dangerous situation very quickly. I would only enter in to this situation if I worked diligently with an experienced professional, I don't think reading online will help because this type of thing (buddy sour, respect, submission) is a delicate matter of timing and feel. I would wait, I've done the easy buy, and settled when I know I would have happier with another horse, and I regretted it for the 4 years I owned the horse, and she didn't deserve my unhappiness either.

I don't know. I understand that she is offering you a payment plan and that's very enticing for you in your situation. However, horses like these are the kind of horses that can easily ruin the "fun" of horses. He sounds spoiled and like a lot of riders have let him get away with far too much for far too long. He's not a young, three year old horse that just hasn't learned yet. He has in fact learned how to take advantage and get his own way. For the amount of money she's asking I honestly don't think it's worth it. You could get a horse for that price that is registered and basically bomb proof that your SO could learn to ride on these days...

If you are dead set on moving forward, I would at least make sure to ride him again, but alone this time. Not with a big group of other horses for him to follow.

I do plan on riding him again, alone (with another person around still) at her property. As well as at the arena down the road (and I was going to have her bring one of her horses down to work on him walking away from a friend) I wasn't looking for a dead broke horse (why not Whitney?) and I already agreed his price is to much for his problems. Yeah, I'm looking at the payments and the saddle. I can try her mare for 900$, but I dislike mares..

And whoever said she is just getting a big was of change from me, I don't feel like that. She feels he values at 1200. You can't always value your own horse right because they have something special to you. She has had him for 5 years and he does have a special meaning to her. If she just wanted the money she wouldn't take payments, especially not flexible payments. She honestly wants him to find a better suited rider, and besides that bucking, she was upfront with his other issues. Everyone on the trail ride, without her being around to influence them, commented on how he has never done that but that's because riders let him do whatever. They were in literal shock he had bucked (and it wasn't no Bronc type bucking, an oversized crow hop honestly and I could've sat it but I decided to bail.) I'm not making any excuses. He is 11. He should not be bucking after all the training he has. I've seen the pictures and videos of the parades, endurance trail rides, and everything else she has done with him. He has the training, it's just in the last year he got away with a lot of crap because she was out (head injury) for 6 months and that is when the other rider leased him. She got back on him when the doctor approved and that is when she found out all the bad manners he had aquired.

I feel like it will be a difficult challenge but something that will be worth it in the end. I'm going to be safe about it. Helmet, someone on the scene at all times, etc. I'm not out to get myself killed. We will see how he goes when I go this week (next day off) and hopefully the bucking was a one time thing. The other stuff I've had horses I either rode or owned that did that. He doesn't bolt and that was my fault for using that. He just will pull and pull to get out ahead. I just turned his head and made him walk a circle then back up several feet then stop before walking again. He only pulled once with me but it's a issue that's been on going and she had never tried what I did. After that he listened to me a lot more.

I really sound like I'm sugar coating him and I'm trying not to. It's hard to describe every second with him and I gave you all the bad details first. I'll try to set up a tripod when I have him in the round pen or arena. Maybe that will give you all a better indication of what I'm trying to describe. He is not as bad as I've made him seem, but he definitely has major issues that I feel can be fixed.

It sounds like he can be trained out of his issues, but it might be a frustrating process. Buddy sourness can be very frustrating. But at least you know what you're getting into. He maybe only bucked because he wanted to catch up and was testing you to see what you would do. Just be careful especially with him on the ground.

I would almost try to ride him to the arena without another horse to see if he will even leave the property without another horse? Or is he just a pain when riding with other horses?

I like Tipperary helmets. I have a rounder head and they work well. Alot of endurance rider use them too.

I wish you the best with this horse. Id try the mare to compare..dont be sexist. Most mares are worth their weight in gold. Heck my head gelding is more moody and emotional than my mare. ;)

I didn't think about seeing if he would ride without another horse. I was gonna use the horse so we can walk away from it and such to work on it. But I can definitely go without another horse.

I'm expecting a lot of frustration, but my life is to boring. Gotta have a wild horse or two in the mix ;) if he is to much to handle, I can put any payments I've made on him on the mare, or I can buy another horse and use the payment money I've given her as board money. I won't be "stuck" with him till he is 100% mine.

One thing I've learned with a buddy sour horse is if you make being near that other horse no fun before long that behavior tends to go away. I had a gaited horse for years and wearing them out is rather hard. They have a lot of endurance. Never learned anything about specific bits to use but enjoyed her.

I would like to make one comment about the phrase "the horse is testing me" because it bothers me.

IMO, a horse can only test a person when they do so deliberately, and this means the horse is specifically paying attention to the rider. What you have described is a horse who is showing you who he is right now: One who has been allowed to get away with bad manners and doing whatever he wants and threw a frustrated fit when you didn't let him do what he was accustomed to doing.

He wasn't testing you because he wasn't paying attention to you. He was paying attention to *what he wanted to do* and had a tantrum when you didn't allow him to do it.

If you can get this horse to listen to you instead of listening to himself and/or paying attention to everything around him except you, you might have yourself a nice horse.

Are you up for that kind of challenge? (I suspect you are) I wish you good luck!

For a helmet recommendation, as long as it's ASTM/SEI certified and fits the size and shape of your head, that's the best helmet. Different brands fit different shaped heads differently, so what works for one person may not work for another, even if it comes with rave reviews.

For a helmet recommendation, as long as it's ASTM/SEI certified and fits the size and shape of your head, that's the best helmet. Different brands fit different shaped heads differently, so what works for one person may not work for another, even if it comes with rave reviews.

Excellent point!

And whoever said she is just getting a big was of change from me, I don't feel like that. She feels he values at 1200. You can't always value your own horse right because they have something special to you. She has had him for 5 years and he does have a special meaning to her. If she just wanted the money she wouldn't take payments, especially not flexible payments

And the rest of us might look at this as making it very easy to get rid of the horse for a good reason..

I use this bit on my MFT cross mare. She loves it.

http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/PROD/1040/TB5812

When I tried Kisser out she did a few crow hops. She was a 4 yr old extremely green horse though. So it wasn't a deal breaker back then. Now if I went to look at one it would be. Gwen was extremely spoiled at her home before us. It has caused some serious problems between the two of us. If I knew then what I know now I would have continued to look for a different horse. If I was going to pay $1200 the horse would have to be super well broke (that is just how our market is around this area). I probably wouldn't settle for one that wasn't.

Do you guys think a rope halter would help with his pulling or will he need a regular halter with a chain till he learns?

that statement ^^^^ means this is not the horse for you. If you don't know enough yet to know the answer to that PLEASE do not get this horse...

I'm gonna kick in my 2 cents for the grins and giggles of it.

IMO and knowing what the horse market is.. That horse isn't worth $500 let alone $1200. I can (and have just as recently as 2 months ago) go to the local horse auction, pick up horses for a couple hundred bucks and get a better horse then what you are describing.

I agree, you all ready ARE in love with this horse. Let me ask you this, if you paid a trainer to go to the barn with you and check this horse out. See how it rides/behaves ect, and that trainer told you not to buy it. What would you do?

It seems to me that you are coming here, asking our advise and then shooting down what a lot of good horse people are telling you. Instead of making payments to this woman on a crap horse. Put that money back every month and keep looking.

Question, do you want to fight with a horse EVERY. TIME. YOU. RIDE.... or would you like to go out and hop on and go for a relaxing ride once in a while? If you want to just relax about a bit, he is NOT the horse for you.

Also, PLEASE, have the owner of the horse ride it out alone in a field or something for you to see what happens. You, my dear, do not have enough knowledge yet to be risking life and limb, to see what this horse will do. Have the owner ride it for at least 30 minutes. THEN and only then, if the horse behaved, you hop on and ride for a bit. AND, do not ride this horse again till you have got your helmet. I also hope you have health insurance as I can see medical bills in your future from this horse.

They are telling me to not get him. I haven't got him yet. As a matter of fact, I just sent her a txt saying I don't think he is worth 1200$, and that I feel like I need a safer horse.

She won't have a problem riding him for me. If she decides to go down on the price, I'll go back this week. If not, I'll just pay for the occasional trail ride and just save to buy another horse. I'm not out to kill myself and I don't think this horse will do such. But if an injury occurs I have health insurance.

And I don't appreciate your first statement of not knowing what type of halter to use. I have heard awesome things about rope halters but I've seen him in one and it did nothing. But maybe that was her fault? She is taking the easy way out and just chaining him and I don't want to have to use a chain every time. That is why I asked.

Oh, and I'm not ignoring anyone else. I just don't have anything else to add but thank you for the advice. My first statement about the message I sent should show I'm trying.

I'm not trying to be a witch here but if he was in a rope halter and he didn't respect it why continue something that's ineffective?

And I'm very glad you told her to lower his price. He honestly isn't worth 1/2 that!!

We've decided to not buy him (smart move, Whitney.) and she has the mare and one other gelding I can try. I'm getting the details on them now.

Cool!! Makes really aren't ALLLLLLLL bad. LOL I had several. I really preferred them over geldings.

They are telling me to not get him. I haven't got him yet. As a matter of fact, I just sent her a txt saying I don't think he is worth 1200$, and that I feel like I need a safer horse.

She won't have a problem riding him for me. If she decides to go down on the price, I'll go back this week. If not, I'll just pay for the occasional trail ride and just save to buy another horse. I'm not out to kill myself and I don't think this horse will do such. But if an injury occurs I have health insurance.

And I don't appreciate your first statement of not knowing what type of halter to use. I have heard awesome things about rope halters but I've seen him in one and it did nothing. But maybe that was her fault? She is taking the easy way out and just chaining him and I don't want to have to use a chain every time. That is why I asked.

I didn't mean to offend you with my statement, but your statement to me just shows that you are young and inexperienced. Which is NOT a big deal. We all started out. I was just using that as an example that you are just, again IMO, to inexperienced for this horse.

Congrats to you though on asking her to drop the price and making the decision to pass on him.

Hoku,

Never hurts to try alot of different horses, should give you a better idea you what you want in a horse, right now horses should be a buyers market. It cost more money for their food & upkeep, than it does to purchase them in most cases. I wish you well finding the right mount, that you can enjoy for years to come. I've heard on average that a person will have 1, Once in Lifetime Horse, mine died 4 years ago, been trying to replace her ever since. I have a gelding I ride, but he doesn't have the heart, that my mare did. Again I wish you well. Best Wishes. PD

I like myself too (sometimes).

I'm sorry for getting snappy and defensive. She has a paint gelding and two mares I will be trying. Tomorrow I'll try the paint gelding (who is also registered) and he is also 1200$, but she says he is broke and less head strong then Stryder but I will see about that.

I want to apologize once again about any rude comments I might have made. You all are trying to help and possibly saved me in more ways then one on this purchase. Thank you.

Regarding bucking: bucks happen. Just the other day my horse threw in a little hind-end action...and she's about as broke as a horse gets. lol

Regarding ground manners: I despise a horse will poor ground manners, and a horse that has been allowed to get away with bolting on the line for that long would instantly be off my list.

Regarding price: I agree, not worth it. I've seen a LOT of nice horses here in MO for a LOT less money. Though, the Missouri market is total CARP right now...never seen so many broke horses and ponies going for $200! If you want, come stay with me in MO for a long weekend and we can go horse shopping :) lol

Regarding just plain old wanting a horse: girrrrrrrrrrrrrrl...I hear ya! When I was 14 I decided I wanted another rideable horse so I could take friends riding with me, instead of having to ride double all the time. So I went "shopping" and bought basically the first horse I saw. We were miserable together. But, I was stubborn and kept him until he ticked me off one too many times and I told my dad to shoot him (don't worry, dad didn't shoot him! LOL. I sold him to the military, he now, supposedly, works in Arlington)

Lucky for you, you've been given sound advice all-around, and I think you've probably made a good decision to try out a few other horses...don't be afraid to shop around a bit...it can be fun!! Just be safe...and definitely wear a helmet on "strange" horses! I'm not a huge fan of helmets...but I always wear them on new horses or when I'm jumping :)

One of the biggest things you can do when looking at horses. Make the seller ride the horse first. Watch how they ride, see how the horse reacts. If the seller is physically able to ride the horse but won't. Thank them for their time and leave. If they seller isn't willing to get on a horse first there is NO BLOODY WAY I'm gonna swing a leg over it.

She is more then willing to ride before I do.

Jaxon is an 11 year old registered paint. Here are two pictures she sent me of him. My favorite thing? He is in a snaffle :) at least in one photo he is.

6E3C4DAB-84DC-43F5-B516-20A8F68D9F39_zps

ABF166EF-BB89-424B-87D5-A9AC941BB641_zps

I will give you guys a full detailed report just like I did with Stryder. Thanks everyone <3 I don't know what I would do without this site.

Edited by Hoku